Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

why cant we just celebrate his 301st game instead of 300?? why does it have to be a rounded number?

i'd come out and celebrate that game - we could have a huge 301st Banner, it would be different thats for sure!!
A magnificent 299th game played! Well done!

Bit controversial, but I actually find Dusty's 3 Gary Ayres Medals more impressive than his 3 Norm Smiths.

There's been some Norm Smith Medal winners over the years who've done FA in terms of individual awards besides that, but being the best player across at least 3 finals games in the same season is incredible.

And three times!! (on track for four after BOG v Hawks in 2018 QF before leg injury)

Yeah I agree, how great is it that he did both 🤩

They never go into any detail with it.

Just: "great finals record," "great big game record," "3 time NS Medallist."

His 3 Ayres Medals for best in the finals series are never mentioned. And they have since muddied the voting to give other players a chance to get as many votes and win both awards(Ayres and Smith medals) by multiplying GF voting x 1.5. Then they will say down the track possibly some clown has matched Dusty by winning both awards multiple times, but they wouldn't have won both under the same voting system Dusty played under. The league is working overtime trying to dilute his achievements because without this they would not realistically ever be matched.

I have never heard any commentator ever try to unpack his finals scoring feats, which would be generationally impressive for a gun full time forward in a dominant team. Let alone for a guy spending majority of his time in the midfield and dominating there as well. In low scoring games. It would be nice to see someone in the mainstream media go into some actual detail with it.

He has the highest goal + goal assist stats in finals in flag years of any Premiership player since goal assist stats were made available in 2003. Higher than Franklin, Gunston, Breust, Hawkins, Chapman, Johnson, everyone. The margin just gets greater when you make it goals + goal assists as a % of overall goals in the matches he played in.

And his figures just basically grow with the magnitude of the game, the total opposite of most so called great players.

His Grand Finals are higher than his other finals, which are higher than his crucial home and away games which are higher than the less important home and away games.

The only thing he hasn't done in his career is the bit that matters least, filled his boots in the manner of Franklin, Johnson etc against the cellar dweller teams in massive routs.

The media are now going to drool over all the stand rule era champions who nobody is allowed to tackle or impede in any way. And barely a whisper about the player who kicked them all into a cocked hat with opponents hanging off him left right and centre.

At least we know.

I love when they say. iTs JuSt 3 GaMeS!!!

The aim of the game is to win premierships. There is a reason nobody else has done it 3 times. It’s impossible (unless you’re Dusty)

I have never heard any commentator ever try to unpack his finals scoring feats, .
I distinctly remember that David King did on Sen a few years back. He basically said that Dusty's finals numbers are so far ahead from the rest it's ridiculous.

Someone gif that pick up in the last along with the many other moments from tonight

BOG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably just falls short of being BOG in my opinion. Had he kicked those two goals instead of behinds then that would of been 5 goals and Richmond may have won, then he'd be considered BOG.

That all aside anyway, it was good to see him play well again. Maybe he's been carrying an injury?

Hope he can play well next week and for rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably just falls short of being BOG in my opinion. Had he kicked those two goals instead of behinds then that would of been 5 goals and Richmond may have won, then he'd be considered BOG.

That all aside anyway, it was good to see him play well again. Maybe he's been carrying an injury?

Hope he can play well next week and for rest of the season.

I heard Matthew Lloyd’s votes on the way home:

1 vote; Dusty
2 : Hind
3 : Durham
4: Merrett
5 : Ridley

Martin had 23 and kicked 3-goals. Led the game with 8 x score involvements. But Durham with his 25, 6 turnover, no score and 4 score involvements was better 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

What a muppet.

1 vote; Dusty

Martin had 23 and kicked 3-goals. Led the game with 8 x score involvements. But Durham with his 25, 6 turnover, no score and 4 score involvements was better 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

What a muppet.

Lloyd has proven over many, many years that's he's a ****ing idiot.

1 vote; Dusty

What a muppet.

Old mate Matty "tried to cheat on my wife with the do you know who I am but failed" Lloyd 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I think I found the audio. I came across it a short time ago. Have a listen:

That was a great find. I nearly threw up when he started talking about Lachie Neale must be tagged. I've tried hypnotherapy to erase the memory of Nank unopposed giving Neale silver service the entire night. AFL is still waiting on AI to tinker convincingly with the Lynch Arc footage. Hearing Leigh Matthews state that Dustys is the only name that he's not offended when comparisons are made. They were talking about Carey, Gary Sr and other greats in that discussion. For mine Norm Smith was a coach, they could honour his name in the coaching field somehow. I hope in 20 years the Norm Smith medal is changed to the Dustin Martin medal 🏅 or plainly the Dusty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back