Retired # 4: Jobe Watson - Now coach at Xavier College 28/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares? Were the losers of the 2007 and 2009 NRL grand finals retroactively awarded those premierships?

This whole thing is just rotten. Essendon didn't cheat and Jobe won it fair and square. I truly believe that, and no one on any side has ever been able to show me any evidence to the contrary.
I don't disagree with the basic contention that they didn't "cheat". Having said that the players have been, rightly or wrongly, found guilty and banned for drug code breaches in the season Jobe won the medal. Awarding it to Mitchell & Cotchin is the only viable option. Would you prefer that it was "no winner" and served as a marker in perpetuity to this sorry time in our history?

the decision is s**t, but gutless would have been leaving it blank.

It just happens to be 2 players Essendon supporters don't respect, one due to his persona the other due to talent.

If it went to Pav or someone we all admire we would all feel more at ease, doesn't change the fact that they made the correct decision.

Nah disagree 90% of people wanted it re-awarded and the decision was only made to cater to them imo

Nah disagree 90% of people wanted it re-awarded and the decision was only made to cater to them imo
If Sam Mitchell won and was then found guilty of performance drugs, would you want it to go to Jobe if he came runner up?

It didn't phase me what happened to the medal either way once Jobe surrendered it and now that it's been re-awarded it still doesn't. Although those who were screaming conspiracy and expecting it to be left blank so that Jobe could be reawarded it in a couple of years have egg on their face and that's a bit of Pyrrhic victory. :)

Onwards we go.

If Sam Mitchell won and was then found guilty of performance drugs, would you want it to go to Jobe if he came runner up?
Yes.

They were found guilty. Just because you disagree with the decision doesn't mean it was incorrect.

By who? Three foreign pricks in a foreign country, based on "evidence" that if presented to a real court would get thrown out faster than you can say "CAS is corrupt".

I'm not particularly given to care what they have to say. They were wrong.

This isn't me being a sore loser, it's what I've always believed. I simply haven't come across any amount of reason or evidence compelling me to change my mind.

As far as I'm concerned, Jobe will always be the rightful winner.

Why does that matter?
Seriously?

Telling him he can't hold the view its rotten because they were found guilty based on a decision that was made based on the subjective view made by the panel doesn't strike you as a touch silly?

In the end, as soon as Jobe handed it back, this was always going to happen.

He was suspended, so his votes would count like an ineligible player through suspension. Logically, the runner up would be handed the medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously?

Telling him he can't hold the view its rotten because they were found guilty based on a decision that was made based on the subjective view made by the panel doesn't strike you as a touch silly?
100%

Because it wasn't beyond reasonable doubt, the bans for me are entirely subjective. I can understand his view.

As far as I'm concerned, Jobe will always be the rightful winner.

No doubt many of us feel the same. But with any doubt/queries hanging over it, and considering all the BS the players have had to put up the last few years, it's best to be done with it and move on. Someone else's problem now.

Whilst noting that the Brownlow medal has symbolic, historical and respectable value, at the end of the day it's just a medal and it doesn't define who you are as a human being.

Hope he comes out this year and makes a statement. We should all give him a big cheer when he's on the ball.

At the end of the day, I'm out of *s to give and was out of *s to give a long time ago about things like this. Whether it remains unrewarded or goes to others retrospectively is certainly not enough for me to really care about.

I just hope Jobe can return and play some great footy for us, and finish his career on a good note.

Oh...and by the way
On a dramatic day for the commission, it confirmed Collingwood football-department boss Graeme Allan, his former GWS colleague Craig Lambert and Whitfield had accepted suspensions ranging from six to 12 months for conspiring to avoid drug testers.

Look, over there!!

Oh...and by the way
On a dramatic day for the commission, it confirmed Collingwood football-department boss Graeme Allan, his former GWS colleague Craig Lambert and Whitfield had accepted suspensions ranging from six to 12 months for conspiring to avoid drug testers.

Look, over there!!
We can discuss that in our still open ASAGA thread, or the non-Essendon thread. Let's leave this one to be about Jobe.

One would hope that either of Mitchell or Cotchin would show a little bit of class and self awareness and decline given it could have just as easily been them.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree though, given Sam's probably filled several volumes on drug sledges already and up until yesterday the home page on Trent's browser was the google search results for 'how to become relevant again'.

One would hope that either of Mitchell or Cotchin would show a little bit of class and self awareness and decline given it could have just as easily been them.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree though, given Sam's probably filled several volumes on drug sledges already and up until yesterday the home page on Trent's browser was the google search results for 'how to become relevant again'.

Zach, mate, you mentioned class and Mitchell in the same sentence.

Some journo was on SEN the other day and they were discussing if Michell and Cotchin would feel about accepting the award. He was saying that Mitchell was pissed off at missing out on two Norm Smith's. Journo reasoned Mitchell would be more than happy to accept the award.

Gutless decision by the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back