Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a powerhouse forward when he went down there.
Sure was and a brilliant onballer.

All we need now is to find our own McLeod, Goodwin, Bickley and Edwards to put around him and we might have some chance of a dynasty..

To me it's what made the likes of him, Voss, Buckley and even the drug cheat so good - they were elite midfielders, but they would also be close to the best forward on the ground when they went down there.
Dusty, Danger and Cripps nowadays too. Gee we need a midfield superstar badly..

#adelaide

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Metroticket-Day-Trip-Ticket-Image.png

To me it's what made the likes of him, Voss, Buckley and even the drug cheat so good - they were elite midfielders, but they would also be close to the best forward on the ground when they went down there.

Dusty, Danger and Cripps nowadays too. Gee we need a midfield superstar badly..

Funnily enough if JZ kicked straight last year we'd be saying the same thing about him.

Just as good as De Goey with 1/10th of the media and fan hype. Will probably cost half the $ to keep him around too. Seriously awesome footballer.
Not really. DeGoey might be a tad overrated but his ability to run through the midfield is a fair bit better than Cam's, as well as kicking half a goal per game more. They're both a similar kind of nightmare matchup medium forward, and I think I prefer Cam's ball use in general play. Probably hits harder too. No doubt he's a huge win out of the rookie draft and there's no reason to think he can't rise above cult figure to genuine star.

Not really. DeGoey might be a tad overrated but his ability to run through the midfield is a fair bit better than Cam's, as well as kicking half a goal per game more. They're both a similar kind of nightmare matchup medium forward, and I think I prefer Cam's ball use in general play. Probably hits harder too. No doubt he's a huge win out of the rookie draft and there's no reason to think he can't rise above cult figure to genuine star.

Half a goal a game more this year, not in the comparison age year (CZ has 1.6 to 1.0 against De Goey in the equivalent year) was the point. Not an ideal comparison though, by the looks of those stats De Goey was playing much more midfield early on. Interestingly CZ picks up a lot of metres gained as a predominantly forward player.

Let's just take a chill pill for a little while yet.

As it stands, we have unearthed a very dynamic half forward prospect.

However, I reckon I have identified his past North comparison.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I present Slammin' Cam

*The old timers will know what I am talking about.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's just take a chill pill for a little while yet.

As it stands, we have unearthed a very dynamic half forward prospect.
Bugger that, I’ve derived a plan to extract testosterone from him to inject into the rest of the playing list.. we need a few more just like him, willing to go the extra yard.

Does anyone else remember that VFL practice match a year or two ago where they moved Zurhaar into the middle? I think it may have been at Arden Street. After being close to best on in that role, I think I remember him saying afterwards that he wanted to play as a midfielder.

Out of pure curiosity I'd love to see him do a full preseason as a midfielder one of these years.

24 goals so far for the year. I know the media have already anointed Sam Walsh as the Rising Star, and he probably deserves it, but surely CZ has to be in the conversation.

I suspect he and Rozee will be fighting it out for third, behind Walsh and Stack.

Walsh has been excellent in Carlton's resurgence under Teague too. Will be a very deserving winner.

I suspect he and Rozee will be fighting it out for third, behind Walsh and Stack.

Walsh has been excellent in Carlton's resurgence under Teague too. Will be a very deserving winner.

Taking it as a given that Walsh will win, there’s no reason why Zurhaar shouldn’t be in the conversation for second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been better than Rozee. Rozee's had marginally more disposals per game but equal on effective disposals. Slammin' Cam has 24G/14GA to Rozee's 21G/8GA, and Cam's played 3 fewer games.

On top of that - and it's the real case for him getting a podium finish IMO - he's had 3 genuinely match-winning performances and a couple of others in the bests. Pretty sure he's second behind Stack in coaches' votes for RS eligible players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back