Delisted #45 Hugo Hall-Kahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugo Hall-Kahan – Sandringham Dragons​

18yo – 188cm – 80kg
hugo.jpg

Showing off x-factor in the forward half, Hall-Kahan has been fantastic for the Dragons with his aerial ability and ground level presence. He plays above his height with his contested marking and hard leading patterns, but then doubles up as a pressure forward when the ball hits the ground where he’s kicked bags of goals in the NAB League.

Looks good in red and white

Hugo Hall-Kahan​

Having a meaningful influence in each game he has appeared this season, Hall-Kahan has impacted the scoreboard heavily, headlined by hauls of five goals against Calder and four against Tasmania. Hall-Kahan has been a consistent, strong overhead marking threat. When he has pushed further afield, he has been a weapon with how he has taken on the game with ball in hand and broken the lines at great speed. Hall-Kahan routinely lowers his eyes on entry kicks inside 50m, with his kicking and vision further highlights. While Hall-Kahan plays forward, with the way he takes on the game, hits meaningful targets by foot and how strong he is overhead, he could become an even more damaging footballer if switched to defence.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...htmare-mid-season-draft-top-10-power-rankings

Last edited:

Name: Hugo Hall-Kahan
DOB: 22.09.2003
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Recruited From: Sandringham Dragons
Position: Forward/Half Back

Coach Matthew Lloyd identified him as a talent in 2021, saying he was frequently in their top handful of performers, wearing his heart on his sleeve and always exuding an insatiable work ethic.

“I think he has the ability to play half-back, half-forward, wing, deeper forward, he just has really strong versatility,” Lloyd said.

“He’s got good endurance, good speed and he’s a pure footballer – there’s a lot of athletes that get drafted and there’s a lot of athletes that can seriously play footy, so I think he has got the attributes to be given an opportunity and then it’s up to him what he makes of it from there.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimlock:

That was an interesting article.

Seems like he missed a lot of football through injury in his teenage years. But had a lot of passion to stay involved in the game and get the most out of himself. So could be quite raw with a high upside and good attitude. I hope he gets at least 18 months on our list.

Also seems quite versatile if he can play as a medium forward or as a wing/halfback flanker.

I watched the draft on the AFL website. In the preview beforehand, Twomey seemed to rate him as a talented creative forward and also linked him to some clubs with earlier picks.

Then I was following the draft and seeing which players were still on the board. When it got to Richmond's pick, there was still Hall-Kahan, Bauer and El Nour available. That seemed to be 3 players loosely linked to the Swans. So I am guessing our recruiters would have been happy with how the earlier picks turned out.

My Sandy source says he will play a fair bit of senior footy with us , just be patient
My gut instinct tells me that we are preparing him for a few years until he becomes a classic Carlton poached player.

Refer to Rookie Newman.
Refer to Rookie Papley. Failed attempt but very nearly.
I guarantee you.

My gut instinct tells me that we are preparing him for a few years until he becomes a classic Carlton poached player.

Refer to Rookie Newman.
Refer to Rookie Papley. Failed attempt but very nearly.
I guarantee you.
Good runner , good size with pace , good overhead mark with good skills . That's from someone involved in the very successful Dragons programs for many years and that's good enough for me

Our VFL side play on the MCG on Saturday. I wonder if that is too soon for him to play. Or whether he has to fly up to Sydney to do induction stuff whilst the rest of the squad flies to Melbourne.

It could make more sense to give him a few days in Melbourne to sort his life out. Then on Saturday play in the reserves at the MCG, watch the seniors play afterwards and then fly back to Sydney with the rest of the squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back