Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I do like Dea, but at the moment I'd have Bags, Kelly & Gleeson as the 3 smalls, there will probably be occasions where we play with an extra small and Dea may be the one to come in because he can play undersized on a few 3rd fwds. Bags would be the one who I'm not confident on, I'm not sure we need a 'lock-down' defender type, I can't think of many other players in more recent successful sides that just played that role. There is a need in todays game to get involved in attack, no matter where you play. If Bags is shutting down the best small fwd consistently and not heavily involved in attack, then thats still a pass mark. If he struggles to do that, he is out of the team & we just go with someone like Dea who isn't as well known for his defensive mindset but adds more on the offensive side.

Is there a reason he's not getting games this year? I thought he was among our most impressive and steadfast defenders last season. Surely he can provide more at the moment than a McKenna, and he's not an aging player.

Is there a reason he's not getting games this year? I thought he was among our most impressive and steadfast defenders last season. Surely he can provide more at the moment than a McKenna, and he's not an aging player.

McKenna has decent pace which Dea doesn't so that's why he was getting a game. I'm not saying it's right but that would be the reasoning. I thought Dea was pretty handy as a defender last year - he's no star but he was solid and consistent

The only good thing I saw him do all day was trap Mayne in the center in the last quarter....probably not hard as Mayne seems to be playing with even less confidence then Dea. Cant see him playing seniors anytime soon.

Kicked just the second goal of his career today.

Matty is one of those players leaves everything out on the field! Cant question his attack on the ball or man!

Every successful club has at least one of these guys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played 5 games - 2 decent games and three poor games - Will forgive him against Watts because it was a poor match up - Disappointingly struggled when opposed to Kersten and outclassed by Caddy - It's a matter of whether Dea or Hartley make way for Ambrose.

Anyone else feel like we were a bit too left footed against Richmond?

That would be my reasoning for him being out.
He was 1 of 5 left footers in the side.

Anyone else feel like we were a bit too left footed against Richmond?

That would be my reasoning for him being out.

Has struggled playing on taller opponents,
looking at team selection video on website, they mention Gleeson has been doing well playing on taller players so they are giving him a go.

Yep

This match up worries me the most
Honestly I can't see how he or Gleeson is better for Gov than Hartley. Gov's best trick is his contested marking. I can understand having both he and Gleeson in to tag team Lynch for most of the game but alongside Hartley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back