Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachlan McKirdy is a breath of fresh air in a vacuum of cliched filled filler articles written by uninformed header grabbers with dubious credentials.
People need to make sure we comment or like on his twitter posts to ensure its acknowledged. Its all down the clicks to ensure he keeps posting in AFL.

Has kicked some really nice goals from around the 50 metre arc the last couple of weeks, taking a few more marks up the ground, growing in confidence I'd say.
He's roaming further up the ground and Amartey stays in the square

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. It was confusing when it was reported early in the season that he was primed to play mostly as our deepest forward.

Agree and purely as it wasn't going to suit Logan. Logan will always be and I hate comparing so don't come at me but a Jeremy Cameron type of roaming up and down the ground, gets goals sure and is good overhead. But his main positive as a forward is his capacity to be over the ground. This is completely different to Amartey who is more your stand at home key.

It's unbelievable that some are expecting more from him.
We havn't had many club grown forwards over the years so not that hard a record to break.

It's smart to look at performances subjectively which is where the questions were being asked. His development was rather stagnant for a while, not much changed game to game and he is part of a team playing well which makes things easier. The comparisons to JUH and King are warranted when those 2 have had to work harder for their scores. Still a long way to go for Logan to impose himself on games, especially his contested work.

His legacy starts once he has a consistent run of solid impact against top teams. Those type of goals last week is what he needs to start doing against the best. His game has been more of a Bailey Fritch than a Jezza Cameron thus far. And that's fine if he's going to be an out the back/uncontested on the lead medium forward, but we're trying to put him in the same conversation as the best key forwards in the comp.

We havn't had many club grown forwards over the years so not that hard a record to break.

It's smart to look at performances subjectively which is where the questions were being asked. His development was rather stagnant for a while, not much changed game to game and he is part of a team playing well which makes things easier. The comparisons to JUH and King are warranted when those 2 have had to work harder for their scores. Still a long way to go for Logan to impose himself on games, especially his contested work.

His legacy starts once he has a consistent run of solid impact against top teams. Those type of goals last week is what he needs to start doing against the best. His game has been more of a Bailey Fritch than a Jezza Cameron thus far. And that's fine if he's going to be an out the back/uncontested on the lead medium forward, but we're trying to put him in the same conversation as the best key forwards in the comp.

Bit hard to have an impact the last few years when every mid was kicking it to Franklin every time, now was that gameplan or was that the mids being brainless maybe a bit of both. Is it any shock we look. amillion times better this year without focusing on one forward, whether it be Logan, Heeney (pushing up), Paps, Hayward (sometimes), Wicks, etc. They are all getting chances which as an opponent is so much harder than one bloke being kicked the ball every time.

He's on track to be between 40-55 goals and that is outstanding

Bit hard to have an impact the last few years when every mid was kicking it to Franklin every time, now was that gameplan or was that the mids being brainless maybe a bit of both. Is it any shock we look. amillion times better this year without focusing on one forward, whether it be Logan, Heeney (pushing up), Paps, Hayward (sometimes), Wicks, etc. They are all getting chances which as an opponent is so much harder than one bloke being kicked the ball every time.

More than happy with where he's at. I just think now we see what he's actually made of, he definitely needs to develop the contested side of his game if he's going to turn into the player our supporters are thinking he'll be.

More than happy with where he's at. I just think now we see what he's actually made of, he definitely needs to develop the contested side of his game if he's going to turn into the player our supporters are thinking he'll be.
I try to remember that he has only just turned 22 (April); and blokes, especially the taller ones, tend to put on muscle and mass between 21 and 24. So I'm very happy with where he is at, and am expecting him to continue to develop his game over the next few years, including the contested side as he continues to build muscle and mass.

I just think Franklin was one of the smartest forwards to ever play the game and always put himself in the most dangerous spot.

You'd have to be actively looking to not kick it to him, to not kick it to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back