Autopsy 6 point win over Richmond(wtf)

Remove this Banner Ad

didnt expect it

umpries were abysmal but the vic media will focus on buddy and the finish and ignore richmonds armchair ride

good fight, im surprised, loved it, was feeling flat at half time
So over-umpired, 60 free kicks. On the first half they got an armchair ride. Not so in the second but a certain umpire did try to get them back into it and nearly won it for them.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just cant see how a side can be so bipolar and have any sort of success for the season.

Our best and worst football is light years apart.

Its like we need 2 of Mills there is no way Rowbottom can compete against Oliver and Petracca without Mills in there.
Yes it is a worry. The first quarter was just a good tussle but you could see they were getting the game played on their terms toward the end. Scrappy, in close, lots of stoppages. But the second quarter we just shot ourselves in the foot. Dreadful disposal, at one stage we had 46% disposal efficiency, was killing us. It was as though we went to the quarter time huddle and switched off as a group. The electricity was there building up but the switch was up.

Our second half was really good. But there were lapses in the last that cost us and an umpire that was determined to get them up. I am also concerned that two lapses in judgement could have cost 2 goals. Message to Sam Wicks, mate concentrate on getting the ball, you were inconsequential up until then but what you did was costly. Bud, you are 35 not 13 act your age.

Ladhams was superb.
Buddy well he was Buddy.
Warner & Rowbottom terrific, given the responsibility and delivered.

Kudos to the SCG crowd, plenty of noise, plenty of support and a real sense of willing the team on.

Standard of umpiring at present is woeful, absolutely no 'feel' for the game.
When we went from 2 to 3 umpires the standard dropped slightly. Over the years the standard has plummeted to the depths of dreadful we could never imagine way back when. This is partly due to rule and rule interpretation changes which have made the game and the umpiring worse. The umpires have such a hard job and the stupid interpretive rules make it even harder.

I think the rules and rule interpretation need to be investigated by an independent panel. They need to hear from umpires, players, coaches, the clubs and fans. Then make recommendations. We need to go back to basics and make the rules easier and get rid of interpretative, confusing rules. We need to also have a standard where everything that falls into one category is paid. For instance: When is a push in the back, not a push in the back? The answer has got to be never. If you go for a mark and put 2 hands into your opponent's back it is a push in the back or it was until Gillon and his mates started playing games.

did the ump immediately say it was a richmond free when they blew the whistle? or was it a bit of time after? Even if Warner heard it, he could've easily thought it was his free and he was simply playing on as he's entitled. Also the siren is immediately after so the players aren't going to hear the ump say richmond or sydney free kick. Storm in a teacup imo.

the irony is once prestia got the free and kicked it, guess who caught it? chad warner 😂

Watched the replay of the second half last night (won't put myself through watching the first) and a couple of things stand out to me.

1. Yes, BT's commentary was very ordinary. I honestly think that commentators try to be as professional as they can and some even go out of their way to not be biased, however he seemed to have trouble with professionalism on Friday night as it was pretty obvious who he used to play for. I would have thought that Paddles playing for us would have mitigated this somewhat, but obviously not.

2. I thought that COR actually had a good game. Yes, he made a couple of mistakes but I'm not sure if anyone on the field didn't, so it is unfair to single him out. He will never be a match-winner for us, however he is a role player who is playing his role well, and that is how he should be judged. I'm not against him remaining in the team for a bit of a run to see what he can do with a bit of confidence.

3. I am in awe of Paddy. This guy was out of football for years then played half a dozen games in the backline (probably for the first time in his life) in the VFL before playing in the seniors. He has now played 10 games in defence and would be one of the leading players in his role in the comp. It is obvious that he has a good footy brain (not going there with concussion jokes) paired with a high skill level and courage that he may one day regret. I am beginning to see why he was such a high draft pick, however the irony is that he was playing out of his position at FF. Although he has a mature body, he is still learning the role and there will be occasions where he will make mistakes and will be beaten by some of the best forwards in the country, so we need to accept that. But wow. As a player who has played (for the first time) in the backline for not even a season yet, he is awesome.

4. Reading my points above I begin to see now why I am not given the vote card at my local club on saturdays any more - I am heavily biased towards defenders. ;)

the irony is once prestia got the free and kicked it, guess who caught it? chad warner 😂
It wasn’t missed on me either, footy gods were having a bit of fun.

The amount of fixation on kicking the ball into the crowd as opposed to just kicking the ball away (particularly from that Has The Umpire Got It Wrong twitter account) is just bizarre to me as it strips the moment of its context - a closely fought win after the siren has gone. Who wouldn't kick the ball away in celebration? Why does that particular action inform the penalty any more than just chipping it to a team mate as someone would do if they'd just won by 40 points?

part of what got me about taylor's hysterical commentary was an element of indignation ... that the swans not only had the temerity to come from a long way back to win, but that warner would dare celebrate in such a brazen manner ... i got the impression he largely wanted warner punished for that as much as for a potential 50-metre transgression
but then, i have nothing but contempt for taylor or his style of barracking commentary so i'd find fault in him ordering a pizza

part of what got me about taylor's hysterical commentary was an element of indignation ... that the swans not only had the temerity to come from a long way back to win, but that warner would dare celebrate in such a brazen manner ... i got the impression he largely wanted warner punished for that as much as for a potential 50-metre transgression
but then, i have nothing but contempt for taylor or his style of barracking commentary so i'd find fault in him ordering a pizza

Yeah BT is pathetic, which is a shame as I used to like him in his Fox days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spend a lot of time complaining about our midfield when they get things wrong, so I think it is only fair that I give them equal attention when they get it right. I love seeing a good midfield in action. I feel like most would say great goals or great marks are what they enjoy most about footy, but for me, it's seeing a midfield 'click'.

We had quite a few impressive centre breaks in this game, but this one has to be the best of the lot, not just because of how pivotal it was in the context of the game (2 points down, mid-way through the 4th, results in Buddy kicking the goal that puts us in front), but also because it's just THE perfect centre clearance.

I've broken it down into four parts:

Part 1 - The set-up. All three of our mids are in attacking positions. Rowbottom riskily chooses to leave Bolton and beelines the ball (unheard of for him given his role this year); Gulden is positioned as the third man out the back (a role that has caused us grief from opposition mids like Hewett & Fiorini this year); and Parker presses off Cotchin to essentially make it 2v2 for the ball, with himself as the spare. Two of our mids are in a prime position to get the ball, the third is in a prime position to receive the ball. The only way this can go wrong is if we fail to get first hands to it, or we don't use it effectively once we do.
View attachment Swans v Richmond 1.mov

Part 2 - The first-touch. Either Gulden or Rowbottom can get hands to this ball here, but it's a good thing that Rowbottom gets it. He's got the strength and the power to burst through and break Cotchin's tackle; Gulden being smaller and lighter probably gets caught. Gulden not getting the ball also works in our favour in Part 4. Rowbottom could easily throw it on the boot - at best, it's an aimless dump kick forward; at worst, it's smothered by the oncoming Bolton and Richmond gain possession & quickly go back the other way. Instead he thinks it through, identifies the spare man in Parker, and gets it to him.
View attachment Swans v Richmond 2.mov

Part 3 - The shift from inside to outside. I give Parker a lot of flack but he plays this perfectly. So he has already put his trust in Rowbottom or Gulden to win the ball and held his position as the spare man to get the handball receive. Then when he receives the ball, again, it could just be an aimless dump kick forward. Instead, he calmly identifies Gulden loose out the back and gets the ball to him. Gulden has also played this well as he's gone from very nearly getting hands to it first, to switching instantly to realise he needs to get loose to present. Because of this quick reaction, we are now 'out.'
View attachment Swans v Richmond 3.mov

Part 4 - The finishing touch. This is why you have your classiest player in the mids ideally trying to get on the end of it, rather than be the first one to touch it. I think Rowbottom can actually be quite classy for an inside mid, but he is no Errol when it comes to kicking inside 50 (who is?) In Part 2 I mentioned why it was crucial that the inside mid won the first touch and that Gulden was able to get loose instead. So that he can be on the end of this awesome centre clearance and capitalise on it by delivering just an inch-perfect kick to Buddy's advantage.
View attachment Swans v Richmond 4.mov

And of course, Buddy goes back and nails his fifth shot at goal and we're in front. I shan't include his goal because this post is all about the exemplary work of the mids to get it to him. Every mid is set up exactly how they are supposed to be set up, and then everyone does exactly what they're supposed to do both with the ball and without the ball, despite the surprising potential for things to go wrong.

Ps. I bloody hope the videos in this comment work, otherwise the entire thing makes SFA sense!

I spend a lot of time complaining about our midfield when they get things wrong, so I think it is only fair that I give them equal attention when they get it right. I love seeing a good midfield in action. I feel like most would say great goals or great marks are what they enjoy most about footy, but for me, it's seeing a midfield 'click'.

We had quite a few impressive centre breaks in this game, but this one has to be the best of the lot, not just because of how pivotal it was in the context of the game (2 points down, mid-way through the 4th, results in Buddy kicking the goal that puts us in front), but also because it's just THE perfect centre clearance.

Part 1 - The set-up. All three of our mids are in attacking positions. Rowbottom riskily chooses to leave Bolton and beelines the ball (unheard of for him given his role this year); Gulden is positioned as the third man out the back (a role that has caused us grief from opposition mids like Hewett & Fiorini this year); and Parker presses off Cotchin to essentially make it 2v2 for the ball, with himself as the spare. Two of our mids are in a prime position to get the ball, the third is in a prime position to receive the ball. The only way this can go wrong is if we fail to get first hands to it, or we don't use it effectively once we do.
View attachment 1413333

Part 2 - The first-touch. Either Gulden or Rowbottom can get hands to this ball here, but it's a good thing that Rowbottom gets it. He's got the strength and the power to burst through and break Cotchin's tackle; Gulden being smaller and lighter probably gets caught. Gulden not getting the ball also works in our favour in Part 4. Rowbottom could easily throw it on the boot - at best, it's an aimless dump kick forward; at worst, it's smothered by the oncoming Bolton and Richmond gain possession & quickly go back the other way. Instead he thinks it through, identifies the spare man in Parker, and gets it to him.
View attachment 1413336

Part 3 - The shift from inside to outside. I give Parker a lot of flack but he plays this perfectly. So he has already put his trust in Rowbottom or Gulden to win the ball and held his position as the spare man to get the handball receive. Then when he receives the ball, again, it could just be an aimless dump kick forward. Instead, he calmly identifies Gulden loose out the back and gets the ball to him. Gulden has also played this well as he's gone from very nearly getting hands to it first, to switching instantly to realise he needs to get loose to present. Because of this quick reaction, we are now 'out.'
View attachment 1413343

Part 4 - The finishing touch. This is why you have your classiest player in the mids ideally trying to get on the end of it, rather than be the first one to touch it. I think Rowbottom can actually be quite classy for an inside mid, but he is no Errol when it comes to kicking inside 50 (who is?) In Part 2 I mentioned why it was crucial that the inside mid won the first touch and that Gulden was able to get loose instead. So that he can be on the end of this awesome centre clearance and capitalise on it by delivering just an inch-perfect kick to Buddy's advantage.
View attachment 1413351

And of course, Buddy goes back and nails his fifth shot at goal and we're in front. I shan't include his goal because this post is all about the exemplary work of the mids to get it to him. Every mid is set up exactly how they are supposed to be set up, and then everyone does exactly what they're supposed to do both with the ball and without the ball, despite the surprising potential for things to go wrong.

Ps. I bloody hope the videos in this comment work, otherwise the entire thing makes SFA sense!
Absolutely awesome post.

View attachment 1413333

View attachment 1413336

View attachment 1413343

View attachment 1413351

This is what should have been getting reviewed post game by the experts

A nice cameo by Reid keeping width and his man away from the middle played a role as well. These are the building blocks for us, when it clicks we match it w any midfield. Give another 12 months and we might be seeing the next flag as this evolves.

View attachment 1413333

View attachment 1413336

View attachment 1413343

View attachment 1413351

This is better than 99% of the s**t in the media! Great post!

A nice cameo by Reid keeping width and his man away from the middle played a role as well. These are the building blocks for us, when it clicks we match it w any midfield. Give another 12 months and we might be seeing the next flag as this evolves.

Aye. He did his job. I just have zero faith in him. A few years back he worked really hard on his goal kicking and for a spell it seemed more reliable, but not now.

View attachment 1413333

View attachment 1413336

View attachment 1413343

View attachment 1413351

Sensational post , well done

I feel like Reid would've made an outstanding ruckman if he was actually the size of one. His follow-up work after the ruck contest has always been very solid.

I feel like Reid would've made an outstanding ruckman if he was actually the size of one. His follow-up work after the ruck contest has always been very solid.
His work as a backup on Friday was very good.

I was listening to the SEN call at work and Gerard Healy was so salty at how bad we were playing that I am convinced he posts in our game threads every week

I was listening to the SEN call at work and Gerard Healy was so salty at how bad we were playing that I am convinced he posts in our game threads every week

Has anyone ever seen Punts and Healy in the same room?

Noticed this for our last goal.

Heeney does a risky but intelligent move of locking Baker's arm to his body after he makes contact with him, which then pulls him down on top of him and he gets the push in the back free. He could rightfully get called against it if the umpire is in good position but in this case it worked out well for him.

Rankings after watching replay
Everyone starts at 0 and only goes up, accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. Not everyone can be a stand out.)

Scrappy, error filled and undisciplined game overall by both sides meant that the rankings were quite a low spread this week.

Parker 7/10
Rampe 6/10
Franklin 6/10
Ladhams 6/10
T McCartin 6/10
Hayward 6/10
Rowbottom 6/10
-
Warner 5/10
Reid 5/10
Gulden 5/10
Mills 5/10