Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

xPfwLtlb.png

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited:
Now for Zac Jones.
Sometimes you lot remind me of Eeyore, even when you get good news you find something to be miserable about.

Thanks for the loyalty and sticking around, Harry. Here’s hoping the surgery all goes well and your firing on all cylinders come the preseason.

Happy people have no place here!;)

In the last couple of years he's started becoming the player he teased he might be earlier on in his career. He's that consistent middle-tier player you need, and let's be honest players who can actually kick the ball (and have pace) are at a premium here....he's one of the few guys who can regularly hit those targets with the 30m+ kicks. With Jones seemingly going, this is a good re-signing imo.

Now for Zac Jones.

Happy people have no place here!;)

Certain you can make some room on the farm to cheer them up!;)

As for me I am delighted Harry has signed on the dotted line. I really think he is a confidence player. Being yo-yo'd in and out of the team for several years did not help. Last year and until injury this year he seemed to play with the assuredness that he is a best 22 player.

One of the few senior players we have with genuine pace

One of the few? He's the only senior player with genuine pace that I can think of! (though Rampe has a fair bit of toe.)

I'd still like Cunningham to use his pace more. He's good at run and carry in the open, but he doesn't really try to use it in congestion to burst away or break a line. We have a few others who can do that but none with Harry's seniority or experience so it would be such an asset for our team if he could add that to his game.

One of the few? He's the only senior player with genuine pace that I can think of! (though Rampe has a fair bit of toe.)

I'd still like Cunningham to use his pace more. He's good at run and carry in the open, but he doesn't really try to use it in congestion to burst away or break a line. We have a few others who can do that but none with Harry's seniority or experience so it would be such an asset for our team if he could add that to his game.
As long as he doesn't turn into Jones and get caught all the time

As long as he doesn't turn into Jones and get caught all the time

Haha I'd still cop it. I liked Jones despite his ability to get caught with it, at least he tried to take the game on and attack and create something. Similar to Florent. They are high risk, high reward type players and when they get it right, they make us look bloody dangerous. Cunningham I feel is still a bit safe and that's why I think so many still see him as a 18-22 player as opposed to the established gun he could be.

Is there a common belief Harry may become a best 22 player, or still depth?
IMO Harry is easily best 22. 2018 finished top 10 b&f. Was travelling very well last year before injury. Lots of conjecture about how he will be used. Can play wing or small defender effectively. Fast, tackles well and has terrific long kick to advantage.
Plus he's a Riverina boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Harry,

I've been following you for a few years now, and you know what? All those years of hard work, the slog through injury, the tagging and learning you're craft, those years when they called you a spud.. that's all forgotten now. I think you've made it, mate! Congrats! Not many people become an AFL player, and even less have above average stats!

You're 26 and all you're stats (on your profile page) are above average... this is your year mate!

I'm pretty happy to be sponsoring you and I hope 2020 is a great year for you, and injury free!

All the best mate!

Cheer! Cheer!

IMO Harry is easily best 22. 2018 finished top 10 b&f. Was travelling very well last year before injury. Lots of conjecture about how he will be used. Can play wing or small defender effectively. Fast, tackles well and has terrific long kick to advantage.
Plus he's a Riverina boy.
Agree. He was already settled in the best 22 and was sorely missed last year. We need a good year from him in 2020.

I mentioned it in the Autopsy thread but deserves a proper shout out.

His best year for us by far in effort, consistency and execution. Defensively now very reliable and his delivery into forward 50 has been excelent.

Should be placing well in the Skilton I think and it's clear now why he was elected to leadership group. Showing it in spades.

At selection 107 thank you very much:laughv1::tongueoutv1:

I mentioned it in the Autopsy thread but deserves a proper shout out.

His best year for us by far in effort, consistency and execution. Defensively now very reliable and his delivery into forward 50 has been excelent.

Should be placing well in the Skilton I think and it's clear now why he was elected to leadership group. Showing it in spades.
100% this. Harry spent quite a while settling into a permanent role. Speedy, booming, accurate boot, tremendous tackler, but not always the best decision maker. Since settling as our Smithy replacement he has retained all his good bits but now plays with terrific maturity and calmness. He is durable and consistent and I reckon he is one of the first magnets up each week.
None of his opponents has made a real impact against us this year and his throw aside of Joe Daniher, twice his size, should be on all his highlight reels.
The boy from Turvey Park!

Reckon he's a near certainty to be top 5 in the Skilton right now. I'd have it looking something like:

1. Mills
2. Hickey
3. Parker
4. Cunningham
5. Lloyd
6. Dawson
7. Papley
8. Heeney
9. Franklin
10. Florent

I'm very confident in the top 2 but beyond that it's very hard to predict because of how even the contributions of our best 15 or so players has been. Franklin would be higher had he not missed 4 games, same with Heeney, McInerney and Rampe all missing 2 each.

Agree Ticky - I thought out of all the players he seemed to handle those awful early conditions so well. Just such a sure pair of hands and then used it intelligently. Used to be a (private - just don't like razzing players online - they see it their friends/ family see it..) Cunningham knocker - just felt he got pushed out of contests to easily. He's relatively light framed - smarter coaches than i realised the strength would come with the skill. He's having an absolute ripper of a year and that game was special:)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back