AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

His kicking cost us. He didn’t have his best game, yet still got us close as much as anyone.

The end.

You should stop looking for another Stanton and stop deflecting with that fan boy stuff.

You think Im on a mission to go out of my way to find another Stanton?

He’s got nothing to do with it and you know it.

Anyway...Shiel needs to add more hardness to his game.

That’s all im saying. Forgive me for having an opinion and being disappointed in a high priced recruit.

Don't care how many touches he gets.

If he continues to butcher the ball as often as he did today he will cost us games like he did today.

Needs to tidy that up quick smart.

Worked hard and got a lot of it, but his disposal by foot hurts. Tried to take the game on too, (which is great; players of his calibre should do that), but geez I got scared when he took that mark from Zaka late in the fourth - thought they were going to spoil one another.

The more behinds he kicks, the more his kicking deteriorates.

We need to play him in the square to kick at least one easy goal to break the duck so that it stops him from trying to get the hero goal. He overthinks his kicking by trying to be too 'safe' at times. Other times, he doesn't think when he kicks. Problem is he turns it over and everything turns to crap.

If he fixes this part of his game, then we have a genuine A-grader because he is exactly what our midfield needed. Every other part of his game was good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ability to win the clearance from a stoppage and explode away with pace is elite. Unfortunately he needs to tidy up his disposal efficiency especially by foot, just seems to be rushing his kicks cause he's always going at pace. Needs to just slow down and compose himself before he uses it.

Ok...so I’ve identified the moment I finally lost my #### at Dylan which sent me over the edge after a few other examples that happened through out the day.

1.20 to go and that Saad kick comes out to the wing with Shiel giving off the crap handpass at Merritt’s feet from 10 mtrs away...then the follow up chase with the pie player side by side and Dylan losses his footing and slides to one knee holding his arm out pleading to the ump while the pie player ploughing on to gain possession with Shiel giving up on the contest.

Seconds later the ball gets back in Saads hands and Shiel is just standing there with his hands out looking uninterested in attacking or running or moving. That handpass goes straight to a pie players hands and there’s no chance of us going down the ground toward goal. Game over.

Not saying it’s his fault we lost let make that clear.

But it’s a moment that grinds my gears after watching him since rd 1 pick and choose when he’s going to go.

Maybe he was tired? So what.

Just annoyed me right at an obvious crucial moment in the game and added to the moments where he’d give up on his run at the loose ground ball when bodies are coming in to put him off his line.

The kicking will get better..he runs and runs and links up beautifully...he’s got great evasion skills and a side step from hell for tacklers to counter...tackles effectively when in the position close....but he just needs to be harder at the ball and do more.

Some might say “but we recruited him as an elite outside player and we want him on his feet sprinting away from packs”

That might be so.

But he has to do a bit more of the hard stuff in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ok...so I’ve identified the moment I finally lost my #### at Dylan which sent me over the edge after a few other examples that happened through out the day.

1.20 to go and that Saad kick comes out to the wing with Shiel giving off the crap handpass at his teammates feet from 10 mtrs away...then the follow up chase with the pie player side by side and Dylan losses his footing and slides to one knee holding his arm out pleading to the ump while the pie player ploughing on to gain possession.

Seconds later the ball gets back in one of our blokes hands and Shiel is just standing there with his hands out looking uninterested in attacking or running or moving. That handpass goes straight to a pie players hands and there’s no chance of us going down the ground toward goal. Game over.

Not saying it’s his fault we lost let make that clear.

But it’s a moment that grinds my gears after watching him since rd 1 pick and choose when he’s going to go.

Maybe he was tired? So what.

Just annoyed me right at an obvious crucial moment in the game and added to the moments where he’d give up on his run at the loose ground ball when bodies are coming in to put him off his line.

The kicking will get better..he runs and runs and links up beautifully...he’s got great evasion skills and a side step from hell for tacklers to counter...tackles effectively when in the position close....but he just needs to be harder at the ball and do more.

Some might say “but we recruited him as an elite outside player and we want him on his feet sprinting away from packs”

That might be so.

But he has to do a bit more of the hard stuff in my opinion.
Yeah, this post basically tells me you've found your new Stanton. He's nowhere near as soft as you make him out to be. He'd be harder than the vast majority of the AFL.

O
Seconds later the ball gets back in one of our blokes hands and Shiel is just standing there with his hands out looking uninterested in attacking or running or moving. That handpass goes straight to a pie players hands and there’s no chance of us going down the ground toward goal. Game over.

Just standing there seems to be common from a number of players, I don't see it so much with other sides but we have a number of guys that seem to wait for the ball to come to them. Zakka seems to be the main offender, Myers and Parish sometimes do it. The other habit our players have around clearances is to move only for the ball to go where that player was a moment earlier. Shiel does go and get his own ball.

I don't think he's had the same hardness since Cochin smashed his shoulder. Hopefully, it comes back but, if it doesn't, he still does a lot of great things and we are a better team for having him in it. There was also a lot of pressure on him today, he's not been on a stage like that before and, with Smith injured, he was carrying more of the mid field weight. Maybe that contributed to his sub-standard game. We got so close - he played a big part in getting there, a pity we couldn't get over the line.

I don't think he's had the same hardness since Cochin smashed his shoulder. Hopefully, it comes back but, if it doesn't, he still does a lot of great things and we are a better team for having him in it. There was also a lot of pressure on him today, he's not been on a stage like that before and, with Smith injured, he was carrying more of the mid field weight. Maybe that contributed to his sub-standard game. We got so close - he played a big part in getting there, a pity we couldn't get over the line.

He wasn't that bad today, if he kicked two goal and we won then many would say he had a great game.

Yeah, this post basically tells me you've found your new Stanton. He's nowhere near as soft as you make him out to be. He'd be harder than the vast majority of the AFL.

He’s nothing like Stanton ffs. He’s got more talent in his left toe than Stanton ever had.

Stanton was a great team player but he was soft in the heat of contested battle. I don’t care what anyone says.

How about a constructive response and an honest look at Shiel flaws.

And I wouldn’t even bother if he wasn’t put up as our new midfield god everyone was drooling over with a massive salary that’s a big investment by the club.

The video doesn’t lie.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back