Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in my opinion Dusty got a lot more exposure because he was a lot more ready for senior footy from day one. But like you I think hope we can talk about Luke in the same breath as Dusty one day. We at the end of it all want the same thing for Luke to tear up the comp as Dusty has and does.
Dusty looked like an absolute gun from the start. The only thing that was ever going to stop him was off the field.

Totally agree - he looked more at home earlier, so that increased exposure would've only been of benefit. I am keen to see what LDU can do with no niggles and an extended run at it.

He’s going to be special there is no doubt in my mind.

Right with you Clarkey - that's my belief also. Some just need a little patience :) #nownownowsociety

Interesting comparison (and happy for a discussion on this): Dusty Martin.

Didn't come on right away, but showed enough glimpses early on - you could see that if he figured it out and put it together at the level that he'd be special. I personally am starting to see similar signs with LDU - it might just take a bit longer than some on here might like.

Just looked through their stats for their first couple of years and obviously Dusty got more opportunity (21 and 22 games respectively), but if you do a quick back-of-the-envelope per 22 games comparison, their stats are VERY similar. So I'm really not concerned - let's see what happens with greater opportunity.

LDU doesn't have Martins pace imo. Pace makes a bit of difference with younger players I reckon, simply cos it isn't something they have to develop over years. LDU does have a good burst but I'm always a bit surprised by how fast Martin is.

Last edited:

Oh he did, you're spot on there - but he got a HELL of a lot more exposure than LDU did (21 and 22 games vs 7 and 14 games). It wouldn't be easy to get any real continuity with that number of games (basically half).

LDU also showed improvement in year 2 - so I'm trying to look at this relatively. Based on the number of games played, player fitness and output, I think he's on the right track. Would just like to see what he could do with a couple of seasons of 20+ games under his belt. Very keen to see that.

In r2 of his second year (2019) he and a great game then got an injury he carried all year.

If he improves on the standard he set in that game a few times and has a consistent season other wise we will all be saying wtte of "Yep, he's gonna up the comp apart soon."

And I do think that's what will happen.

LDU doesn't have Martins pace imo. Pace makes a bit of difference with younger players I reckon, simply cos it isn't something they have to develop over years. LDU does have a good burst but I'm always a bit surprised by how fast Martin is.
Strong legs (Rayner is similar, but not as quick). Zurhaar is a little bit the same as Martin/Rayner, but is obviously different from those two.

I agree - was more comparing trajectory based on a simple per 22 games. He currently has other attributes that you can see the signs here and there :)

Let's unveil our Martin. Other that TT (maybe Scott, Larkey) we don't have anything amazing.

That burst speed, grunt and power.......he doesn't actually have but yes let's pretend he is comparable to the best player in the league.

He is slow like Cunners albeit a bit quicker (as my Grandma is) and lacks mongrel. This must change.

Harris is correct. Nothing to worry about. (unless check prior history of being wrong on players of course)

Last edited:
Let's unveil our Martin. Other that TT (maybe Scott, Larkey) we don't have anything amazing.

That burst speed, grunt and power.......he doesn't actually have but yes let's pretend he is comparable to the best player in the league.

He is slow like Cunners albeit a bit quicker (as my Grandma is) and lacks mongrel. This must change.

Harris is correct. Nothing to worry about. (unless check prior history of being wrong on players of course)

The burst speed is there, hopefully the power will come in time along with the fitness. It’s the grunt that will decide how far he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is just flat out incorrect.

We can hope. He has the physical attributes to be an absolute star.

Of course we hope. I'm very excited now Scott gone.

But people even mentioning Martin is laughable.

LDU didn't even get a rising star nom....and we had 4 others!!!

We have 5 Martin's it seems all because we drafted him highly. If anything he's been underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back