Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a rare fair analysis from Healy. I used to have similar concerns -- I worried that he was far too passive when he didn't have the ball. But i think he improved a lot in this area in 2020. The chase on Berry in the Brisbane game is one obvious example that comes to mind, but in general I thought he was more active than he had been in the past.

I just don't think he had the base to do that. Was on pretty low TOG during his first couple of years which supports a lack of fitness. Obviously there were injuries there as well and he has a frame / playstyle that needed to put on more size to do what he needs at AFL level. Tough to put on kg's while also improving running. Urgency is all well and good but if you can't run out 75% of a game you can't do it - the urgency needs to come in pre season first then worry if it doesn't transfer to main season.

FWIW I reckon LDU is on track for the stratosphere.

Dustin Martin has zero defensive game. Like none at all. None of the top shelf mids do

Martin isn't a mid. He attends centre bounces then goes forward.

Your point holds though, Fyfe talking about the guys who cover his man when he goes ball hunting.

Martin isn't a mid. He attends centre bounces then goes forward.

Your point holds though, Fyfe talking about the guys who cover his man when he goes ball hunting.
Lachie Neale is another one who generally just looks to find space at stoppages.

That's where the midfield balance comes into it (and is currently a big problem in the W team as it turns out). Over the last couple of years, other than when Jed's in there, I don't think we have that defensive balance. It's one of the concerns I have with a potential Cunenrs-LDU-Jy midfield and why I was personally stoked that we drafted WilPhill. I think this balance issue too is why Kyron might play more midfield minutes this season.

Dustin Martin has zero defensive game. Like none at all. None of the top shelf mids do

Ah yes, true but they also get to each contest while LDU has struggled. To be an offensive weapon which he isnt yet, you need to be up with the play or making space for the that first or second possession. LDU at times is in no man's land when the ball is turned over or he cant get to a contest.

I have no doubt he will be a star, none whatsoever.

Last edited:
Ah yes, true but they also get to each contest while has LDU struggled. To be an offensive weapon which he isnt yet, you need to be up with the play or making space for the that first or second possession. LDU at times is in no man's land when the ball is turned over or he cant get to a contest.

I have no doubt he will be a star, none whatsoever.

It’s reasonable to expect that Luke’s tank has improved with another preseason under his belt. I’m by no means saying he’s at Dusty levels, just that he’s so good at attacking offensively I’m not worried about his defensive game. That’s why teams have role players to cover for the match winners. That’s what I think guys like Scott, Dumont, Hayden etc will provide. Defensive cover

It’s reasonable to expect that Luke’s tank has improved with another preseason under his belt. I’m by no means saying he’s at Dusty levels, just that he’s so good at attacking offensively I’m not worried about his defensive game. That’s why teams have role players to cover for the match winners. That’s what I think guys like Scott, Dumont, Hayden etc will provide. Defensive cover
Dead right and that is the reason the Dumonts of the world are worth their weight in gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't referring to his defensive game, merely stating that unlike the elite mids, he couldn't get to a lot of contests but with increased fitness base that should change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back