Current Trial 9yo Charlise Mutten - Blue Mountains * Justin Stein charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a very sad case and it’s so true, children living in these situations/environments are still full of hope and sadly so trusting of the people who are meant to protect them.

I think the saddest part is that she did have a trusted carer in her Grandma who was seemingly doing a great job of raising her and only had CM’s best interests at heart when attempting to rekindle a relationship with her bio mother.

I feel ill just thinking of how heartbroken she would be.

I think the saddest part is that she did have a trusted carer in her Grandma who was seemingly doing a great job of raising her and only had CM’s best interests at heart when attempting to rekindle a relationship with her bio mother.

I feel ill just thinking of how heartbroken she would be.

Yeah. While her grandma and grandad both really love her, I can understand her wanting to have a relationship with her mum, and she was hopeful that Stein might be a father figure as well. She trusted him and the first time he had her alone he did this. It's the most awful abuse of trust for a young child.

A close friend of mine conceived via anonymous IVF and so her daughter Angie doesn't have a father so to speak. Her Mum is doing an amazing job with her though there are times that Angie feels that she's missing out, for instance some school events where Mum & Dad are expected to attend.
Sometimes Angie asks me if I can be her Dad. And I mean, she's a lovely little girl and I am just flattered.
I tell her that if I was her Dad, I would be honoured to have her as my daughter.
So I'm happy to attend the occasional event with them (and I'm happy to just take her to the park, or grab some pens and colour in with her, or help her out with her homework or whatever. She loves a little extra attention and it lets her Mum have a break).

Here's the thing. This girl is really special to me and the limited time I spend with her lights up my life. I am the lucky one. I feel like any love I show her is returned in triple. It's incredibly rewarding.

Angie (and her mother) put a large degree of trust in me. It's expected that when I have her with me I will keep her safe and put her needs foremost. The thought of her being hurt due to my actions, that pains me to the core. I would never abuse that trust. She deserves my respect and deserves to feel safe.

Charlise deserved that too. Her grandparents were doing a great job and she loved them. It's still understandable that she sometimes craved that sense of what she perceived to be normality. Stein was in this unique position where he was trusted to look after her for a short time, and he had the chance to form a bond with this girl. With a just a little bit of effort on his part, they both could have found that dynamic to be rewarding.

I have an interest in crime cases and I'm mostly able to remain impartial. I am usually able to put emotions aside and simply observe.
I am not able to do that with this case. It upsets me on multiple levels.
More than anything I feel for the grandparents who did their absolute best for this girl, and now they've lost her and need to live with that hurt every day. And on some level I know they will blame themselves. But they should have been able to put their trust in their daughter to look after Charlise, and they should have been able to put their trust in Stein as well.

He just had her for a night to give her mum a break. He wasn't expected to be a model step Dad, all he needed to do was not hurt her and not kill her. One wouldn't think that was too much to ask.

Edit - sorry for the essay. I needed to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
Yeah. While her grandma and grandad both really love her, I can understand her wanting to have a relationship with her mum, and she was hopeful that Stein might be a father figure as well. She trusted him and the first time he had her alone he did this. It's the most awful abuse of trust for a young child.

A close friend of mine conceived via anonymous IVF and so her daughter Angie doesn't have a father so to speak. Her Mum is doing an amazing job with her though there are times that Angie feels that she's missing out, for instance some school events where Mum & Dad are expected to attend.
Sometimes Angie asks me if I can be her Dad. And I mean, she's a lovely little girl and I am just flattered.
I tell her that if I was her Dad, I would be honoured to have her as my daughter.
So I'm happy to attend the occasional event with them (and I'm happy to just take her to the park, or grab some pens and colour in with her, or help her out with her homework or whatever. She loves a little extra attention and it lets her Mum have a break).

Here's the thing. This girl is really special to me and the limited time I spend with her lights up my life. I am the lucky one. I feel like any love I show her is returned in triple. It's incredibly rewarding.

Angie (and her mother) put a large degree of trust in me. It's expected that when I have her with me I will keep her safe and put her needs foremost. The thought of her being hurt due to my actions, that pains me to the core. I would never abuse that trust. She deserves my respect and deserves to feel safe.

Charlise deserved that too. Her grandparents were doing a great job and she loved them. It's still understandable that she sometimes craved that sense of what she perceived to be normality. Stein was in this unique position where he was trusted to look after her for a short time, and he had the chance to form a bond with this girl. With a just a little bit of effort on his part, they both could have found that dynamic to be rewarding.

I have an interest in crime cases and I'm mostly able to remain impartial. I am usually able to put emotions aside and simply observe.
I am not able to do that with this case. It upsets me on multiple levels.
More than anything I feel for the grandparents who did their absolute best for this girl, and now they've lost her and need to live with that hurt every day. And on some level I know they will blame themselves. But they should have been able to put their trust in their daughter to look after Charlise, and they should have been able to put their trust in Stein as well.

He just had her for a night to give her mum a break. He wasn't expected to be a model step Dad, all he needed to do was not hurt her and not kill her. One wouldn't think that was too much to ask.

Edit - sorry for the essay. I needed to get that off my chest.
Thankyou for sharing.

Stein was in this unique position where he was trusted to look after her for a short time, and he had the chance to form a bond with this girl. With a just a little bit of effort on his part, they both could have found that dynamic to be rewarding.
Regrettably, due to his mental state, his drug dependency, and narcissism, he was unable to prioritise anyone apart from himself. I doubt he even wanted her there, but Kallista was under the delusion that she could do a bit of this “mothering” stuff, at least for some of the time. Sadly none of the relationships were sustainable.

Liar liar pants on fire (Justin Stein) unless Charlise vomited up the ibuprofen, or was given it but for some reason did not swallow it.

'Charlise Mutten had traces of anti-psychotic drug in her system when she died, murder trial hears'

'Thu 23 May 2024 16.04 AEST
Charlise Mutten had traces of an anti-psychotic drug in her system when she died and her alleged killer had a prescription for the same drowsiness-causing medication, a jury has heard.
Forensic testing of Charlise’s remains showed the presence of anti-psychotic drug, quetiapine, for which Stein had a prescription to treat his schizophrenia.

The most common side-effects of a child ingesting quetiapine were sedation or drowsiness, the trial was told on Thursday.

A toxicologist, Dr Judith Perl, said based on the available evidence it was possible – but not conclusive – to say the drug had been ingested within six hours of the girl’s death.

“It is impossible to estimate a dose or time when the quetiapine was ingested,” she told the court.

Perl also said it would be highly unlikely a nine-year-old would be prescribed the drug and that an adult dose ingested by a child would probably cause “significant sedation and vomiting”.

“It’s a drug which can produce central nervous system suppress,” she said. “It alters the level of alertness in a person.”

Stein told police that Charlise had been sick and vomiting when she woke up on the morning of 12 January and that he had given her two Nurofen-brand ibuprofen tablets.

But Perl told the court there were no traces of ibuprofen present in toxicology samples taken from Charlise.
...'

Last edited:

Liar liar pants on fire (Justin Stein) unless Charlise vomited up the ibuprofen, or was given it but for some reason did not swallow it.

'Charlise Mutten had traces of anti-psychotic drug in her system when she died, murder trial hears'

'Thu 23 May 2024 16.04 AEST
Charlise Mutten had traces of an anti-psychotic drug in her system when she died and her alleged killer had a prescription for the same drowsiness-causing medication, a jury has heard.
Forensic testing of Charlise’s remains showed the presence of anti-psychotic drug, quetiapine, for which Stein had a prescription to treat his schizophrenia.

The most common side-effects of a child ingesting quetiapine were sedation or drowsiness, the trial was told on Thursday.

A toxicologist, Dr Judith Perl, said based on the available evidence it was possible – but not conclusive – to say the drug had been ingested within six hours of the girl’s death.

“It is impossible to estimate a dose or time when the quetiapine was ingested,” she told the court.

Perl also said it would be highly unlikely a nine-year-old would be prescribed the drug and that an adult dose ingested by a child would probably cause “significant sedation and vomiting”.

“It’s a drug which can produce central nervous system suppress,” she said. “It alters the level of alertness in a person.”

Stein told police that Charlise had been sick and vomiting when she woke up on the morning of 12 January and that he had given her two Nurofen-brand ibuprofen tablets.

But Perl told the court there were no traces of ibuprofen present in toxicology samples taken from Charlise.
...'

I’m familiar with this drug having taking it for insomnia for a few years. I would regularly take a quarter or a half of a 25mg tablet as it’s a very strong drug.

But schizophrenics are regularly prescribed 300mg or more and can still be upright and going a million miles an hour.

Justin Stein's trial continued today and the court was presented details from the forensic pathologist.

Her conclusion was that Charlise Mutton was shot twice, firstly in the lower left bottom with the bullet entering her pelvic bone. This shot was not fatal.

The second shot was to the face. The doctor described gun powder tattooing marks around the gunshot wound, which entered just below the girl’s right cheekbone and subsequently her skull and brain. The end of the muzzle was about a rulers length from her face.

This girl would have been in awful pain following the first shot.
For the second, she would have been on the ground with the killer standing directly over her. It is a cold calculated move to look into a child's eyes and shoot her in the face.

I have no words to describe how I feel towards this abhorrent character. It's an atrocious abuse of trust

Last edited:
Justin Stein's trial continued today and the court was presented details from the forensic pathologist.

Her conclusion was that Charlise Mutton was shot twice, firstly in the lower left bottom with the bullet entering her pelvic bone. This shot was not fatal.

The doctor described gun powder tattooing marks around the gunshot wound, which entered just below the girl’s right cheekbone and entered her skull and brain. The end of the muzzle was about a rulers length from her face.

This girl would have been in awful pain following the first shot.
For the second, she would have been on the ground with the killer standing directly over her. It is a cold calculated move to looks into a child's eyes and shoot her in the face.

I have no words to describe how I feel towards this abhorrent character. It's an atrocious abuse of trust
Does this evidence, of C down on the ground when shot the second time contradict how Stein told the story of the Mother shooting C?

Does this evidence, of C down on the ground when shot the second time contradict how Stein told the story of the Mother shooting C?
According to the phone calls between Stein and his Mum, Stein heard a shot and he heard C yell out and was running away then the second shot.
Could C have only been a ruler distance away from K if she was running away?

According to the phone calls between Stein and his Mum, Stein heard a shot and he heard C yell out and was running away then the second shot.
Could C have only been a ruler distance away from K if she was running away?

This is based on my own interpretation. After a bullet to the pelvic bone, I don't believe the girl would be capable of standing let alone running.
I believe she would have been on the ground curled in a foetal position in agony.
A rulers length is about the distance that this rifle's muzzle would comfortably rest if being held by an adult male, pointed almost directly down at a person at ground level.

The evidence directly contradicts Steins version of events. Because the fatal shot can absolutely not have been taken while the girl was running away.

Last edited:
Being on the ground is my own interpretation. After a bullet to the pelvic bone I don't believe the girl would be capable of standing let alone running.
A rulers length is about the distance that this rifle would comfortably rest if being held by an adult male, pointed almost directly down.
Yes I can imagine she wasn’t running at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Quitiapine in her stomach is interesting. This is not the kind of medication you'd find in an average bathroom cabinet. It's an antipsychotic that was prescribed specifically to Stein. I suspect that the idea was for it to be used as a sedative to aid sexual assault. I sincerely hope that the poor girl was vomiting too much for that to have happened.

The Quitiapine in her stomach is interesting. This is not the kind of medication you'd find in an average bathroom cabinet. It's an antipsychotic that was prescribed specifically to Stein. I suspect that the idea was for it to be used as a sedative to aid sexual assault. I sincerely hope that the poor girl was vomiting too much for that to have happened.
I honestly hope that’s not the case.
I read somewhere that K wanted to keep C and maybe that didn’t suit Stein.

Last edited:
This is one of the most awful cases I’ve followed. I almost want to stop but feel like it would be disrespectful to Charlise.

I really struggled after reading the pathologists evidence earlier this afternoon. A part of me wishes I was unaware of the case.
But mostly I just wish it hadn't have happened at all.

I will follow until sentencing, the frustrating part is that a murder sentence simply isn't justice enough for what happened to this girl.

Justin Stein was allegedly in possession of 21 child abuse videos, court documents have revealed.
Lawyers for Justin Stein, 31, appeared in Penrith Local Court on Friday. He faces a raft of charges including murder and possession of child abuse material.

Court documents have revealed Mr Stein is accused of possessing “16 category one, and five category two” videos which portrayed child sexual abuse.

“Videos depicted material, in a manner that would in all circumstances cause offence to reasonable persons, " the documents stated.

Last edited:

Justin Stein was allegedly in possession of 21 child abuse videos, court documents have revealed.
Lawyers for Justin Stein, 31, appeared in Penrith Local Court on Friday. He faces a raft of charges including murder and possession of child abuse material.

Court documents have revealed Mr Stein is accused of possessing “16 category one, and five category two” videos which portrayed child sexual abuse.

“Videos depicted material, in a manner that would in all circumstances cause offence to reasonable persons, " the documents stated.
That above quoted article is February 2023 (over a year ago).

The child abuse material charges were reported and discussed in here 2 years ago, back in May 2022 .
I'd completely forgotten about them, despite quoting from the below DM May 2022 article that someone posted on here.

So was Kallista Mutten's DNA also found on the trigger of the BSA .22 rifle?

If it was, will that likely only come out when the defence cross examines the DNA expert Forensic scientist Rebecca Willis.

'Justin Stein’s DNA found on rifle which was buried near property where Charlise Mutten disappeared, jury told'

'May 24, 2024 - 2:32PM
She told the jury a swab from the trigger of the BSA .22 calibre bolt-action rifle tested positive to two sets of DNA, one of which was Mr Stein.

“The DNA recovered is a mixture that originates from at least two individuals … Justin Stein cannot be excluded as a contributor to this mixture,” she told the jury.
...'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back