• Extra time - 5 min each way

Votes: 59 18.7%
  • Extra time - first score wins

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Extra time - first goal wins

Votes: 8 2.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Draws are fantastic! I know Im in the minority with that!
I agree, something unique to our game that should stay in. I think overtime makes sense for low scoring games like soccer and ice hockey, but in a game where draws are so few and far between like Aussie Rules... it's really not fair to put a whole games result down to five minutes or a "shoot out" in my view.

I agree that we should play extra time, but only when scores are not level.

Keep playing until scores are even, and then every game will be a draw, and everyone will be happy :).

did anyone see Hutchy's section in the Herald Sun this morning? He was trying to promote his push for extra time even further

he came up with a stat like, 88% of teams who participate in a draw lose the following week. This is supposed to convince us that a draw is bad??!

What ridicolous tripe this man dishes out. So what if the stat was 96% of teams who lose 3 games lose the 4th game too, does this mean we should adjust the game for them??

On FC, he kept talking about making the game more fair so that all teams are happy and fans are happy...FFS Just stop ____ing the game up. The game is supposed to be tough. There's supposed to be both heartbreak and ecstasy.

just leave it alone.

I agree that we should play extra time, but only when scores are not level.

Keep playing until scores are even, and then every game will be a draw, and everyone will be happy :).

Good idea, although Geelong vs Richmond from Round 7 last year would still be going! Come to think of it, so would the Grand Final!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought that the reaction from the two Kangaroos players Shannon Grant & Corey Jones celebrating when the final siren sounded only to find out it was a draw was totally hilarious and very funny. Wait until it is replayed on Brownlow Medal night.

PS BTW, it would've made it into one of Seven's old segments 'Plays of the Month', narrated (or hosted) by one Sandy Roberts.

A while back I considered a couple of ideas to resolve draws. I mentioned one of them in that other thread that got made after the draw last weekend, and it got cold reception (you have to understand that it was a broad-based change, to ensure that 4 points was completely deserved).

Another idea I had though was to prevent extra time in ANY game - regular season or finals:

Draws are fine in H&A.
In the finals, if a game finishes drawn, the team better on the season in the H&A ladder (except in the Preliminary Finals - then it's the team who had the Semifinal Bye) is awarded the victory - basically give the home team a half a point at the start of the game. If you want, the GF replay can still exist.

The advantage is so minimal that it should work out, and there's not often a draw in the finals anyways. I'd just like to see every game finish in 4 quarters.

22 Rounds for 120 min or thereabouts each.
At the end of that you have as many points as u can possibly get.
Then u enter a knockout phase.
We do not have to have a result.

As a neutral fan watching on TV a draw is fantastic viewing.

When its your team it can be heartbreaking but it can also be a get out of jail feeling.

Whatever the case Draws are high drama and highly memorable.
I've been to 3 involving my team and I can remember them all very well, whereas I've been to hundreds of 2-8 goal losses and wins and remember little about them.

Most memorable was the first time John Kennedy coached against the Hawks. That was 20+ yr ago and it is still vivid.

Scrap the draw bring in Overtimes, golden goal whatever.

A draw is useless, you saw nathan brown, brent harvey, brady rawlings, 3 respected football players celebratiing draws last 2 weeks.

Golf, Basketball, Tennis, World Cup soccer finals/euro championships/asian cup, NRL (with their extra time), Ice Hockey, Cricket in Twenty20(with their bowl offs), Netball have some way to decide a game if its a draw.

Im sick of the draw, if u backed $1.01 on roos yesterday (no it wasnt me) you would feel hard done by , as they had that game in the bag. You only get half pay-out. it sucks, sucks for betting.

Betfair Pro Punter said:
Golf, Basketball, Tennis, World Cup soccer finals/euro championships/asian cup, NRL (with their extra time), Ice Hockey, Cricket in Twenty20(with their bowl offs), Netball have some way to decide a game if its a draw.

Thats because for most of those you need a result.

Why can't AFL just be different? Why do we have to follow the lead of all these other sports?

Time-on should only occur when a result is NEEDED. We dont need results in the regular season, therefore there should be no extra time. The same applies in soccer, when a result is needed (cup game...) they play extra time, when it isn't they settle for a draw. Simple.

I'm happy to see the majority agree with me going by that poll.

A draw is useless, you saw nathan brown, brent harvey, brady rawlings, 3 respected football players celebratiing draws last 2 weeks.

Im sick of the draw, if u backed $1.01 on roos yesterday (no it wasnt me) you would feel hard done by , as they had that game in the bag. You only get half pay-out. it sucks, sucks for betting.
These are finals where you need a result. This is home and away where you end up with what you earnt during the season. Whats wrong with some quirk and some drama?

You're just concerned with betting though.

That's not important, IMO.

Had fremantle rushed one less behind on Fri night they would have got a draw. Apart from Cat fans would anyone seriously begrudge them the 2 points they would have got.
If u were offered 2 points before the game against the might of Geelong I reckon most coaches would privately except it!!

Only because the dumb bastards thought they'd won.

That's as good a reason as any to keep the draw - surely we don't want to deny ourselves a good laugh at the expense of stupid players?

Back