A question for the experts

Remove this Banner Ad

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought that each player was contracted till the October 31st.

Does this mean Luke Hodge is still contracted?

Trade period occurs before October 31st.

Does Hawthorn have to trade him to Brisbane then just like they traded Mitchell and Lewis?

If not, why not?

If so, how does this not affect Brisbane's FA compensation if they are paying him well?

Many thanks for your answers.

Does Hawthorn have to trade him to Brisbane then just like they traded Mitchell and Lewis?

If not, why not?

If so, how does this not affect Brisbane's FA compensation if they are paying him well?

Hodge would have to join the Lions via either a trade (but not as a FA) or the main draft (24th November) or the pre-season draft (27th November) in which the Lions have the first pick.

If not, why not?

I'm certainly no expert but the Lions have to trade for Luke Hodge, listening to his manager on SEN this morning the deal will get done easily, a token late pick the likely outcome ah la Sam Mitchell last year to the Eagles.

Does it matter If he signs as a delisted free agent or the Hawks get token compensation? The Hawks have given him his farewell and he's clearly earnt the right to do whatever he likes.

Let's assume Rockliff signs a 4 year x $750k deal and that earns Brisbane band 1/2 compo.

If Brisbane then signed an equivalent RFA on the same deal the compo would cancel out and they'd get nothing, like Carlton with Betts and Thomas.

If they signed Hodge for a year on a lesser wage as I imagine they will, how much of an impact would it really have? Surely Hodge being 33 and a short term proposition would be a factor.

Let's assume Rockliff signs a 4 year x $750k deal and that earns Brisbane band 1/2 compo.

If Brisbane then signed an equivalent RFA on the same deal the compo would cancel out and they'd get nothing, like Carlton with Betts and Thomas.

If they signed Hodge for a year on a lesser wage as I imagine they will, how much of an impact would it really have? Surely Hodge being 33 and a short term proposition would be a factor.

At this stage no one not called "the AFL" really knows - to the best of my memory it's actually happened so we don't even have an example to work off. Port traded in Monfries, for example, to avoid contaminating their compensation.

At this stage no one not called "the AFL" really knows - to the best of my memory it's actually happened so we don't even have an example to work off. Port traded in Monfries, for example, to avoid contaminating their compensation.

The AFL have a giant wheel they spin to determine the correct response to situations like these, but it does heavily depend if they are trying to screw you over at the time what the actual 'outcome' is....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certainly no expert but the Lions have to trade for Luke Hodge, listening to his manager on SEN this morning the deal will get done easily, a token late pick the likely outcome ah la Sam Mitchell last year to the Eagles.
I think there's a chance he might go into the PSD extra list spots can be an advantage when matching academy bids

Think it will depend on where all the players have landed after the key trades fall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back