Game Day AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
qER7EM4.png

HOW'S THE EXCITEMENT LEVELS???

GAME DAY!

in my mind, I am looking at going this will give us a good idea of what to expect in 2021 and have to keep reminding myself it is only a preseason game. This game could be the difference for people predicting where we finish, will they continue to view us as just a top eight side or could we lift into top four contender discussion. Either way excited to see us playing footy back at Marvel.

Excitement wavering on trepidation. I’ve bought into the hype but I just can’t make that nervous nelly on my shoulder go away.

e42599987d6df5a04c6070127f699c09.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how our backup rucks go. Hunter and McKernan could get a round one spot with a good performance. Also looking forward to seeing Battle at CHF and getting a look at Webster for the first time in a while. Despite all the outs it's a pretty solid side.

Definitely seems like Carlisle is on the outer again. Doesn't get a run in either pre season game. Tells me they're wanting to build chemistry between Frawley and Howard.

If you’d told me in February 2020 that the Hawks game at Moorabbin would be the last game of footy I’d attend for over a year, I’d say you were nuts, but here we are!

Even though it’s only the Pre Season, it will be a fantastic atmosphere inside after a long time away and maybe the first sense of ”normality” returning to Melbourne.

I can’t bloody wait!

Carlisle as the Marshall replacement (mentioned in the other thread) is definitely worth a shot if McKernan fails to fire.
Carlisle has little mobility forward of the centre where he needs agility to break away from defenders.

He gets away with it at CHB as he gets led to the ball and more often then not tries to sag off his man and go up uncontested.

It is probably over for him at stkilda in my opinion, unless we change our game style drastically and play a loose man back at all times (Carlisle).

I don’t think he can go physically over the course of a season for how Ratten wants to play and I don’t think he is accountable enough to keep in the side as a mitigant.

We were happy to let him go during the trade period and no one seriously pursued him. Speaks volumes

Carlisle has little mobility forward of the centre where he needs agility to break away from defenders.

He gets away with it at CHB as he gets led to the ball and more often then not tries to sag off his man and go up uncontested.

It is probably over for him at stkilda in my opinion, unless we change our game style drastically and play a loose man back at all times (Carlisle).

I don’t think he can go physically over the course of a season for how Ratten wants to play and I don’t think he is accountable enough to keep in the side as a mitigant.

We were happy to let him go during the trade period and no one seriously pursued him. Speaks volumes

Careful, you’ll upset the Carlisle fan boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Careful, you’ll upset the Carlisle fan boys.

I am a Carlisle fanboi, and agree with stav. He is speaking purely about his football ability and flexibility in the team.
I might like Carlisle but like the team more. If there are better options, we go with those options.

We were happy to let him go, nobody was interested, he was contracted for insurance. We picked up Frawley for a reason.
I would say Carlisle is on a par with McKernan as far as importance goes in the coaches eyes.

I'm not sure why Carlisle is so polarising around here, and I strongly suspect that the coaching staff do not see the issue in as binary terms as many posters do. Ultimately, it's going to depend on multiple variables - mainly, player availability and opposition forward lines.

He's obviously down the pecking order right now, but if Frawley or Howard go down, and we're playing a team like Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne etc. with 2+ KPFs, we are going to need to call upon him. If I had to guess, I reckon he'll play 5-8 games this year.

Jake has some weaknesses sure, but he's definitely capable of doing a job and has played some very good games over the past few seasons. He's also played some poor ones, but I cannot think of any games where he has cost us a win.

I am a Carlisle fanboi, and agree with stav. He is speaking purely about his football ability and flexibility in the team.
I might like Carlisle but like the team more. If there are better options, we go with those options.

We were happy to let him go, nobody was interested, he was contracted for insurance. We picked up Frawley for a reason.
I would say Carlisle is on a par with McKernan as far as importance goes in the coaches eyes.
Carlisle and Frawley are two very different players.

I would argue, there would be a few who got fairly stiff watching Howards attacking play and really want to see what that looks like at CHB (goal against Adelaide and the few occasions we saw his speed used to good effect attacking), which means it comes down to the need of the side if we want to tap into this aspect of Howard’s game.

So that leaves a hole at FB or on the deepest attacking tall of the opposition in the world of positionless AFL.

You have Carlisle who has shown in his time with us, he isn’t the greatest one on one defender and you have Chip Frawley who has been one of the better one on one defenders in the league over his career.

It’s a very simple decision. You also need your key talls to develop chemistry. I would argue that also plays a part in Jake not seeing a minute in the pretend stuff.

I'm not sure why Carlisle is so polarising around here, and I strongly suspect that the coaching staff do not see the issue in as binary terms as many posters do. Ultimately, it's going to depend on multiple variables - mainly, player availability and opposition forward lines.

He's obviously down the pecking order right now, but if Frawley or Howard go down, and we're playing a team like Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne etc. with 2+ KPFs, we are going to need to call upon him. If I had to guess, I reckon he'll play 5-8 games this year.

Jake has some weaknesses sure, but he's definitely capable of doing a job and has played some very good games over the past few seasons. He's also played some poor ones, but I cannot think of any games where he has cost us a win.
I didn’t say he couldn’t do a job.

I’ve clearly articulated that the fit of the side and the short comings of Carlisle are probably what hurts him in this situation.

The other facts as we know it are that the club didn’t race to renew his deal and we know Carlisle actively sought other offers.

Meanwhile we brought in a bloke recently retired and after tonight he will have played both scratch matches and Carlisle makes do with a spot as an emergency.

So clearly the club have him in a similar position to what a few posters have. No doubting his ability or the good games he has played either.

I doubt whether his style and body can withstand the needs of the side going forward. Early evidence says the coaches think it won’t.

Absolutely pumped to be able to get back to the footy. Have gone to a couple of A-League and BBL matches in the last couple of months to get that live sport fix, but it just isn't the same.

Really looking forward to seeing Higgins and Bytel out there tonight, hope they can really establish themselves as a part of our midfield rotations while the opportunity is there.

Carlisle and Frawley are two very different players.

I would argue, there would be a few who got fairly stiff watching Howards attacking play and really want to see what that looks like at CHB (goal against Adelaide and the few occasions we saw his speed used to good effect attacking), which means it comes down to the need of the side if we want to tap into this aspect of Howard’s game.

So that leaves a hole at FB or on the deepest attacking tall of the opposition in the world of positionless AFL.

You have Carlisle who has shown in his time with us, he isn’t the greatest one on one defender and you have Chip Frawley who has been one of the better one on one defenders in the league over his career.

It’s a very simple decision. You also need your key talls to develop chemistry. I would argue that also plays a part in Jake not seeing a minute in the pretend stuff.

When we had Brown and Carlisle as the two tall backs, Brown was the lockdown back while Carlisle was supposed to be the mobile one that could attack off half back or go forward.

Now Doogs is playing that role and Carlisles mobility has been hampered by his back. Carlisle can't play the Brown role as you said. He is there for insurance in case Doos or Frawley goes down.

I can’t wait to go to the game tonight!

First time seeing Max King play live!

Does anyone know if we have to wear masks at the game??

Thanks 😊

I can’t wait to go to the game tonight!

First time seeing Max King play live!

Does anyone know if we have to wear masks at the game??

Thanks 😊
I'd say to bring one just in case.

Carlisle looks done at the saints now it's time to facilitate a deal to gold Coast for Bing. I think Gresh and carlise are good mates mabey offer both them and our first round pick.

I know Gresh is a good player but we are going to have to give up something and with what bytel tracking quite well it won't be a massive loss

Carlisle looks done at the saints now it's time to facilitate a deal to gold Coast for Bing. I think Gresh and carlise are good mates mabey offer both them and our first round pick.

I know Gresh is a good player but we are going to have to give up something and with what bytel tracking quite well it won't be a massive loss

Gresh is nothing like Bytel.

How about we keep our most talented players and add more talented players to make us a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back