Strategy Aaron Naughton - Key Defender or Key Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Though I believe Naughts has the attributes of a great CHB, it is never going to happen.

He will forever more be a forward so he should be judged not just on his marks and goals but also on his movement to create space for the other forwards.

He should also be judged on his pressure acts.

Last week was poor on all fronts. His opportunity is this week against a team in form to justify his presence forward

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Naughton can kick 40 goals a year on average while missing 40+. His defensive pressure in the forward line considered, we have the last few years of evidence. A lot of supporters and members here hold onto this which is understandable.

However Naughtons game is suited to the CHB position. A gun contested mark, quick on pressure and ground balls and a ferocious competitor.

Do we want to see the same old over and over again? Finishing for an elimination final, finishing for 9th or should this club do something about it with what they have at their disposal?

Jones, Naughton, English, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy.

That is a seriously good spine. While one needs games, it’s the best chance we have of being a top 4 team and winning a flag again while we have Bont, Libba, Treloar and a young gun in Sanders coming through.

I'll preface this with the fact that I have been (still am) a Bevo fan. I do not agree with him on this though.
Naughton is our best forward, yes (though JUH about to pass him or at least be his equal).
A spine of Jones, Naughton, Bont, JUH and Darcy (Lobb) would make our team better (IMO).

In his presser this week he quoted Einstein's definition of insanity (repeat the same thing and expect a different result). Being stubborn and not playing our best 'spine' to stack our forward line ... Bevo you are repeating the same thing again and yet you expect ...???

I'll preface this with the fact that I have been (still am) a Bevo fan. I do not agree with him on this though.
Naughton is our best forward, yes (though JUH about to pass him or at least be his equal).
A spine of Jones, Naughton, Bont, JUH and Darcy (Lobb) would make our team better (IMO).

In his presser this week he quoted Einstein's definition of insanity (repeat the same thing and expect a different result). Being stubborn and not playing our best 'spine' to stack our forward line ... Bevo you are repeating the same thing again and yet you expect ...???
Just wish our coach could see how much better this team could be.

We could be winning a premiership.

Though I believe Naughts has the attributes of a great CHB, it is never going to happen.

He will forever more be a forward so he should be judged not just on his marks and goals but also on his movement to create space for the other forwards.

He should also be judged on his pressure acts.

Last week was poor on all fronts. His opportunity is this week against a team in form to justify his presence forward

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
His opportunity is one game ? The next game, when we’ve already seen 3 years to judge ?

He is not consistent. He still has these games where he goes missing and doesn't know how to get into the game. Then he has these moments where he is in position to make a big, important play and he misses the target or makes the wrong decision. All of this comes down to forward craft, which doesn't come naturally to him.

The opportunity was there to build a really strong, structured, intercept-heavy defence with Jones, Naughton and maybe Khamis playing third man up. Instead we're stuck with a perennially inconsistent forward line that cannot be trusted.

He is not consistent. He still has these games where he goes missing and doesn't know how to get into the game. Then he has these moments where he is in position to make a big, important play and he misses the target or makes the wrong decision. All of this comes down to forward craft, which doesn't come naturally to him.

The opportunity was there to build a really strong, structured, intercept-heavy defence with Jones, Naughton and maybe Khamis playing third man up. Instead we're stuck with a perennially inconsistent forward line that cannot be trusted.

Constantly runs backwards and sideways to take marks. Its gotta be coaching/structure. Or has someone flying with him.

When is the last time he’s taken a mark on the lead inside 50?

We are completely wasting a great forward line.

Constantly runs backwards and sideways to take marks. Its gotta be coaching/structure. Or has someone flying with him.

When is the last time he’s taken a mark on the lead inside 50?

We are completely wasting a great forward line.

About a minute into round 1 when we looked like flag favourites for 10 minutes.

I will say that he's second at the club in score involvements (behind Bont) and in the top 20 over the league. Goals and contested marks are well down but it's clear he's playing an entirely different role in 2024. Inside 50's are well up to so he's not really spending any time as the target inside 50.

Is this Naughton's fault given he's very likely doing exactly what the coaches are asking him to do? Or do we lie the blame purely on them?

I will say that he's second at the club in score involvements (behind Bont) and in the top 20 over the league. Goals and contested marks are well down but it's clear he's playing an entirely different role in 2024. Inside 50's are well up to so he's not really spending any time as the target inside 50.

Is this Naughton's fault given he's very likely doing exactly what the coaches are asking him to do? Or do we lie the blame purely on them?
I believe it’s more at the coaches than Naughton, he lacks forward craft. I can’t see him ever turning into a premier forward of the comp, he has been solid these past few years however I can see him being one of the best key position backs in the comp if they moved him there.

IMO Naughton isn’t a bad forward, but you waste so much potential by not putting him in the back half of the ground. Flags are won off the back of good defence, adding Naughton to a combo with Buku and Jones gives us one of the best back 6 setups in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure he's actually a "Key" forward or back. He's a FF or Forward Pocket or FB, I'm not sure he's capable of any other position at an elite level - his field kicking is just not good enough, and never will be.

He is excellent 1:1, he is unparalleled at ball in dispute (which is why he is in so many score involvements), and he's brilliant at contested pack marking (it wasn't that long ago we were absolutely abysmal at this - post Luke Darcy - for a decade). With Jones there, I think he would be wasted down back.

I think right now, based on the balance of our team, we are best with West pushing up off a HFF, Weightman and Naughton in the Forward Pockets, and Darcy at FF. JUH is our lead up CHF. Naughton should be instructed not to crash packs where Darcy is already there (Weightman also needs this instruction, as it's a problem). Naughton will have a much bigger impact at the drop of the ball than with it in the air, especially as his set shot is still only a 50/50 equation.

For now, I’m more open to Naughton as a swing man who starts forward.

He’s now a confidence player aerially, who is probably the best key forward in the comp at ground level when you add in his defensive skills. When we’re up and about, he’s best suited forward of centre.

There were at least a few games last year where Naughton would’ve made a difference had he switched to defence and on Saturday night, I would’ve put him on Cameron.

We needed pressure in the air where Cameron was getting far too much easy ball 50m-70m (he’s a good athlete, but we made him look a lot better in that regard).

A guy like Naughton at least halving a lot of those contests and winning the odd one back would’ve seen us win that game.

Need to be more a lot more versatile with him, especially given two of Darcy, English and Lobb will likely play all games.

Naughton should absolutely remain forward but the coaches don’t seem to be smart enough to flick him into defence if need be.

I have no problems switching him during the game to the backline. You could then switch someone like O’Donnell forward and have him play as a defensive forward on the main interceptor.

Carlton for example is a good opposition to consider the switch mid game. Historically hasn’t done well against Weitering and you have McKay/Curnow as players who might need a switch of opponent.

Remember that night at Marvel against the tigers? Absolutely ripped it apart. Haven’t seen anything that dominant since.
Hardwick lamenting that Jesus Christ couldn’t have gone with Naughton in his presser after that game. Looked transformational, gone backwards quickly.

Can't see why Naughton goes back during a game, when he is having one of those days up forward, where he just isn't hitting the scoreboard. Worth persisting with Darcy up front, especially after last week's performance. Build on that confidence he can use his height to clunk a few contested marks and kick a few goals.

Naughton is now experienced enough to adapt to playing the odd quarter here and there up back when needed. Hopefully a few quarters up back where he shines, might convince Bevo to see it could be a good move long term. But Bevo is Bevo, stubborn to the core, happy to let lesser experienced sorts swing forward and back, but not Naughton....perhaps Naughton is the one calling the shots in where he plays?

nope - shifting naughton back isnt going to suddenly fix the issues we have all over the ground, its just going to paper over them, possibly give us some false confidence against middle of the road teams and expose us again during finals. We know the pattern.

Naughton needs to help fix the connection between half back and half forward by playing a roaming CHF role. get 20 possessions, take 10 marks, possibly kick a goal or two.

Remember that night at Marvel against the tigers? Absolutely ripped it apart. Haven’t seen anything that dominant since.

sure, if you have inept defenders who didnt want to stand next to him, he'll mark it all day long

the whole competition knows the way to stop him is body him so he cant jump - his body work under a high ball is a real weakness

we have 3 guys in the team now who are decent marks and stand 208cm tall - we absolutely dont need naughton standing under a high ball, we need him on the move up the ground.

Trouble is he has to learn that role properly because he has been playing deep for us for so long

topical! I did a search for aaron naughton heatmap (with safe search on) and look what I found

topical! I did a search for aaron naughton heatmap (with safe search on) and look what I found

Nice find. He’s having some success in his new role for sure.

Really Marra is letting us down big time. The change is putting Naughts up the ground and we make Marra our #1 target, and it’s generating shots, but we’re kicking it to the least accurate key forward in the comp.

I guess there’s an argument that we can’t react to Marras kicking woes too much as chances are that will even out as his career goes on, he’s pretty unlikely to kick this poorly forever.

Maybe more blindfolded kicking practice is required….

Nice find. He’s having some success in his new role for sure.

Really Marra is letting us down big time. The change is putting Naughts up the ground and we make Marra our #1 target, and it’s generating shots, but we’re kicking it to the least accurate key forward in the comp.

I guess there’s an argument that we can’t react to Marras kicking woes too much as chances are that will even out as his career goes on, he’s pretty unlikely to kick this poorly forever.

Maybe more blindfolded kicking practice is required….
At least having Weightman, Darcy and West up forward it will cover the lack of output UH has had so far this season.

Those heatmaps do make me question why is he getting all his possessions up the wings. Just 2 lonely possessions in the corridor. Granted, the opposition wants to defend the corridor at all costs, and its a terrible spot to turn it over, but we have to threaten to use it more, even if just to keep from being unpredictable.

Naughts in the lead should be as safe a target as any, as long as we put it in front of him - something we seem to struggle with at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back