Game Day Adelaide vs Freo match Sim, Friday Feb 24 5.50PM S.A. time,Victor George Kallis Oval, Cockburn Central W.A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moir, Himmelberg and Redman - draft capital?

Moir - 2023 1st and change to move up - but he may drift or rise - but at least have these plans in place

Himmelberg - not sure if this is a managers ploy or he is genuinely thinking about moving to us - RFA so there might be some cost

Redman - also RFA

And are people prepared to give it up? I have to say if we can get all these 3 then we (hopefully please) have a dynasty phase so as above 2023 1st for Moir then if we need to dip into 2024 then so be it
I appreciative your thoughts and share them. With Tyler Welsh available as a father-son selection for us in 2024 we should be using our future first next year. This will give us a very strong hand of draft picks when added to what we already have. With possible trades such as you have outlined or others the Crows may be working on along with well judged drafting and the continued development of our recent draftees we should have a very strong list and be serious contenders for quite some time.

Last edited:
I appreciative your thoughts and share them. With Tyler Welsch available as a father-son selection for us in 2024 we should be using our future first next year. This gives us a very stong draft hand with what we already have. With possible trades such as you have outlined or others the Crows may be working on along with well judged drafting and the continued development of our recent draftees we should have a very stong list and be serious contenders for quite some time.

The spelling of Welsch is hurting my eyes.

He takes my breath away
29top-gun9.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond ran it out of the midfield, or their defence when it was down there, attackingly with speed and a fleet of mosquitos that created overlap after overlap.

Constantly wearing their down opponents down.

I’m not sure I agree too much with Gollumless’s claim they were a defensive team.

Sure they had a good defensive unit.. but I dont think thats what was what won them those three flags..

It was the fleet of endlessly attacking mosquitos!

I think people have an issue with the term defensive teams. It doesn't necessarily mean dour. Just they're built with defense being the the main part of their game. I'd argue Richmond was just as impactful as Sydney 2005 were in defining what defensive football looks like. I'd also argue Richmond was the final nail in the coffin for the ultra defensive games that were defined by Sydney/Saints/Fremantle due to providing the counter-balance to the Hawks.

After all, 3rd meanest defense in 2017, 2nd in 2018, 4th in 2019, 2nd in 2020, built off the manic pressure that has defined the successful teams in the last few years. Offensively, they ranged from 8th to 5th in the years they won and 2nd in 2018. Heck those attacking mosquitos were as much about providing manic pressure as they were about their offensive game, but they don't do s**t to move the needle on their own. After all, they're closer to having three Ned McHenrys in a top 4 team then genuinely gun small forwards.

I'd classify them as a defensive team, because it is what they were, and ultimately, it is what won them those flags. GWS being unable to handle Richmond heat at the ball carrier, and disintegrating near-instantly in the 2019 final. Adelaide and Geelong melted at the pressure they applied at the ball carrier (once Richmond got their game going), stifling down the years best offensive team when it mattered. They ultimately gave the blueprint for defense and how to turn that into offense which is currently the bedrock to 2020s football. Without it, they would have ended up in a similar situation to Saints currently, like they were for most of the 2010s, even with Martin at the peak of his powers. A good team, but one that's missing something to really break through to the upper echelon for a sustained period.

Last edited:
I think people have an issue with the term defensive teams. It doesn't necessarily mean dour. Just they're built with defense being the the main part of their game. I'd argue Richmond was just as impactful as Sydney 2005 were in defining what defensive football looks like. I'd also argue Richmond was the final nail in the coffin for the ultra defensive games that were defined by Sydney/Saints/Fremantle due to providing the counter-balance to the Hawks.

After all, 3rd meanest defense in 2017, 2nd in 2018, 4th in 2019, 2nd in 2020, built off the manic pressure that has defined the successful teams in the last few years. Offensively, they ranged from 8th to 5th in the years they won and 2nd in 2018. Heck those attacking mosquitos were as much about providing manic pressure as they were about their offensive game, but they don't do s**t to move the needle on their own. After all, they're closer to having three Ned McHenrys in a top 4 team then genuinely gun small forwards.

I'd classify them as a defensive team, because it is what they were, and ultimately, it is what won them those flags. GWS being unable to handle Richmond heat at the ball carrier, and disintegrating near-instantly in the 2019 final. Adelaide and Geelong melted at the pressure they applied at the ball carrier (once Richmond got their game going), stifling down the years best offensive team when it mattered. They ultimately gave the blueprint for defense and how to turn that into offense which is currently the bedrock to 2020s football. Without it, they would have ended up in a similar situation to Saints currently, like they were for most of the 2010s, even with Martin at the peak of his powers. A good team, but one that's missing something to really break through to the upper echelon for a sustained period.
And none of that is relevant to how we play

As promised, stats from the last three quarters (70 mins of football overall)

1. Jones - 9 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FA, 1 goal, 53 AF
4. Murphy - 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 35 AF
5. Crouch (2 qtrs) - 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 FA, 47 AF
6. Hately - 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FA, 4 goal assists, 71 AF
7. Thilthorpe - 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 hit-out, 1 FF, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 47 AF
15. Cook - 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 29 AF
16. Michaelanney - 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 43 AF
17. Hamill - 3 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 17 AF
19. Taylor - 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 4 FF, 1 goal assist, 57 AF
21. Brown - 3 kicks, 11 handballs, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 FA, 39 AF
25. McHenry - 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 1 FA, 2 goals, 80 AF
27. Nankervis - 3 kicks, 1 handball, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 28 AF
31. Dowling - 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 FF, 1 goal, 52 AF
35. Borlase - 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 50 AF
38. Sholl - 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FA, 3 goals, 81 AF
40. Bond - 1 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 AF
42. Newchurch - 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal, 1 goal assist, 40 AF
44. Gollant - 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 hit-out, 1 FF, 2 goals, 57 AF
45. Strachan - 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 18 hit-outs, 1 FF, 1 FA, 1 goal assist, 80 AF
48. Keane - 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 35 AF

As promised, stats from the last three quarters (70 mins of football overall)

1. Jones - 9 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FA, 1 goal, 53 AF
4. Murphy - 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 35 AF
5. Crouch (2 qtrs) - 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 FA, 47 AF
6. Hately - 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FA, 4 goal assists, 71 AF
7. Thilthorpe - 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 hit-out, 1 FF, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 47 AF
15. Cook - 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 29 AF
16. Michaelanney - 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 43 AF
17. Hamill - 3 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 17 AF
19. Taylor - 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 4 FF, 1 goal assist, 57 AF
21. Brown - 3 kicks, 11 handballs, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 FA, 39 AF
25. McHenry - 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 1 FA, 2 goals, 80 AF
27. Nankervis - 3 kicks, 1 handball, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 28 AF
31. Dowling - 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 FF, 1 goal, 52 AF
35. Borlase - 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FF, 50 AF
38. Sholl - 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 FA, 3 goals, 81 AF
40. Bond - 1 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 AF
42. Newchurch - 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal, 1 goal assist, 40 AF
44. Gollant - 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 hit-out, 1 FF, 2 goals, 57 AF
45. Strachan - 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 18 hit-outs, 1 FF, 1 FA, 1 goal assist, 80 AF
48. Keane - 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 35 AF

Interesting how a lot of people assumed Crouch had like 80 touches over 6 sevenths but based on these stats he only had 24 disposals. Mustn't have been on the ground all that much which you would expect if you're flagged to play 6 sevenths.

Meanwhile Hately in just 3 sevenths got 25 touches, good effort

Interesting how a lot of people assumed Crouch had like 80 touches over 6 sevenths but based on these stats he only had 24 disposals. Mustn't have been on the ground all that much which you would expect if you're flagged to play 6 sevenths.

Sholl 15 and 3 goals is a fair effort.

Interesting Parnell didn’t play so you’d think he’s definitely gone past Hamill.

The stats though were from the last 3 Qtrs ....Crouch would have understandably tiring ....so I don't think we can come up too much out of that game

Remember, thru the match, both clubs were experimenting with game scenario's

This week though ....we can absolutely judge

The stats though were from the last 3 Qtrs ....Crouch would have understandably tiring ....so I don't think we can come up too much out of that game

Remember, thru the match, both clubs were experimenting with game scenario's

This week though ....we can absolutely judge

24 disposals were 11 in the first four quarters and 13 in the last three

Remove this Banner Ad

Back