Game Day Adelaide vs Freo match Sim, Friday Feb 24 5.50PM S.A. time,Victor George Kallis Oval, Cockburn Central W.A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article up on AFL website about Fog and AFC.

With that photo of Fog with the indigenous flag t shirt couldn't help but think he might not've appreciated ROB and Peterson.

Also several revealing comments from Nicks on his coaching philosophies and player thoughts.

So out of the 12 teams that played practice matches, we kicked the 5th highest score by the end of the fourth quarter. Behind Melb, Bris, Carl and WC.
By eye I reckon we would've had the 3rd highest percentage behind Melb and Bris.

We had by far the best goals to points ratio though, next best was WC, with Freo, Melb and Bris all pretty similar.
What about Geelong?

Only the AFC would spend spend three top 6 picks in three years on forwards
2022 Pick 5
2021 Pick 6
2020 Pick 2
(when we are screaming out for elite mids) and still persist with a defensive game plan.

I suppose we used a 1st round pick on a back pocket player in 2021 so maybe keeping the defensive game plan was always on the cards.

2022 Pick 5
2021 Pick 6
2020 Pick 2
(when we are screaming out for elite mids) and still persist with a defensive game plan.

I suppose we used a 1st round pick on a back pocket player in 2021 so maybe keeping the defensive game plan was always on the cards.
Thilthorpe is better than just a forward. Rachele and Rankine are both guns who will rotate lots through the midfield.

With that photo of Fog with the indigenous flag t shirt couldn't help but think he might not've appreciated ROB and Peterson.

Also several revealing comments from Nicks on his coaching philosophies and player thoughts.
Interesting comments from Nicksy in that article;

"It's an interesting one, because I've always been one of those coaches who's said just give me the guys who work hard. Give me 18 of those and we’ll get a flag," Nicks said.

"But I reckon there's got to be a balance with that. Talent wins premierships, and the hard work and role players get you there, so you need to find that balance.”/end quote

Has a switch flicked on in Nicksy’s head here?… has he realised that, whilst hard running is important, talent and skill is actually what wins you finals/flags?…

You can run and try as hard as you like.. at the end of the day if that gets you posession of the football it all means nothing if you burn the fxxk out of the ball when you dispose of it and dont damage the opposition..

I like hearing this from Nicks.

"It's an interesting one, because I've always been one of those coaches who's said just give me the guys who work hard. Give me 18 of those and we’ll get a flag," Nicks said.

"But I reckon there's got to be a balance with that. Talent wins premierships, and the hard work and role players get you there, so you need to find that balance.”/end quote

Has a switch flicked on in Nicksy’s head here?… has he realised that, whilst hard running is important, talent and skill is actually what wins you finals/flags?…

You can run and try as hard as you like.. at the end of the day if that gets you posession of the football it all means nothing if you burn the fxxk out of the ball when you dispose of it and dont damage the opposition..

Yeah, when I read it, I immediately wondered if someone has been in Nicksy’s ear or whether it just became self evident…

It has clicked his arse is on the line and he can't use rebuilding as an excuse.

Rubbish.

It has clicked his arse is on the line and he can't use rebuilding as an excuse.

Or he feels he now has enough talent on the list to start being more attacking. When we list our good kicks and damaging players, most were added at the end of 2021 and 2022

Rachele
Soligo
Dawson
Rankine

Fog has just broken out, Milera starting to come back

That’s basically a third of the team that are a big improvement in the skill space than we had for Nicks’s first two years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Or he feels he now has enough talent on the list to start being more attacking. When we list our hood kicks and damaging players most were added at the end of 2021 and 2022

Rachele
Soligo
Dawson
Rankine

Fog has just broken out, Milera starting to come back

That’s basically a third of the team that are a big improvement in the skill space than we had the for Nicks’s first two years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes.. and more depth.

I can see why dawson atm is playing in back half. I thought our defence looked shaky at times both defensively and offensively. Smith and milera both did not give enough drive and smith made some poor decisions. Murray and butts were very quiet and butts worried me in one on one contests. We need his leadership and calmness back there. Parnell and he were the two who gave us drive

It is good to play people in different positions as we are doing with Sloane on the wing. It gives us greater flexibility and gives players an opportunity to showcase abilities in other positions

however it does not appear to be working with the Jedi master in Nankervis. He looks to be totallly out of sorts at half back in the trial games and match sim I have seen in recent weeks. Gone has been his creativity speed and confidence to take the game on

cook is another who does not look quite as good at half back but he has at least been able to get some touches in match sim

I liked hinges game at half back more than on the wing. He stiffened up the backline when he moved there and got a fair bit of ball. He is a good ball user and he seems to play better when behind the ball

Last edited:
The trials and sims so far indicate to me that redmond would be a great get for our side. It would give us speed and hardness in the back half and allow us to use Dawson up the field. Atm he is needed down back as our defence is too fragile

i would Also seek out harry himmelberg to give us another tall who can play at either end of the ground and who has good mobility and marking power

with these two free agents we have the flexibility and ability to get a few first round draft picks if we can give up our 2024 first rounder or get into the top 5 and get a Moir or Dursma potentially. What an impact this would have on our 2024 side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trials and sims so far indicate to me that redmond would be a great get for our side. It would give us speed and hardness in the back half and allow us to use Dawson up the field. Atm he is needed down back as our defence is too fragile

i would Also seek out harry himmelberg to give us another tall who can play at either end of the ground and who has good mobility and marking power

with these two free agents we have the flexibility and ability to get a few first round draft picks if we can give up our 2024 first rounder or get into the top 5 and get a Moir or Dursma potentially. What an impact this would have on our 2024 side
Moir, Himmelberg and Redman - draft capital?

Moir - 2023 1st and change to move up - but he may drift or rise - but at least have these plans in place

Himmelberg - not sure if this is a managers ploy or he is genuinely thinking about moving to us - RFA so there might be some cost

Redman - also RFA

And are people prepared to give it up? I have to say if we can get all these 3 then we (hopefully please) have a dynasty phase so as above 2023 1st for Moir then if we need to dip into 2024 then so be it

"It's an interesting one, because I've always been one of those coaches who's said just give me the guys who work hard"

We noticed lol. and holy crap was that mindset annoying.

"Has a switch flicked on in Nicksy’s head here?… has he realised that, whilst hard running is important, talent and skill is actually what wins you finals/flags?…"

Better late than never.

Last edited:
2022 Pick 5
2021 Pick 6
2020 Pick 2

Beats using them on key defenders

"Has a switch flicked on in Nicksy’s head here?… has he realised that, whilst hard running is important, talent and skill is actually what wins you finals/flags?…"

He has a team that loves him, plays for him and in 2022 was the #1 team for tackles in the AFL and #3 for contested possessions in the AFL. Yet he won 8 games with half of the wins coming against SANFL quality opposition (North/WCE).

Was he limited by the list, or was he limiting our potential. Be interesting to see what 2023 brings.

He has a team that loves him, plays for him and in 2022 was the #1 team for tackles in the AFL and #3 for contested possessions in the AFL. Yet he won 8 games with half of the wins coming against SANFL quality opposition (North/WCE).

Was he limited by the list, or was he limiting our potential. Be interesting to see what 2023 brings.
After 2017 matt crouch wasn't the same. We traded brad crouch and keays was the replacement. Douglas retired who was a brilliant ball user. Sloane started to get on. So basically our midfield went to s**t.

It's certainly revealing. Working hard is super important, obviously. I'd rather have someone with marginal talent who works hard, than someone with plenty of talent that doesn't work hard. The problem is, the best sides in the comp have players with both talent and work-rate. We're not going to be able to compete with them unless we do as well.

Also, Fog losing 5kg in a week is a pretty serious illness! Geez. Hope he's alright!

The most interesting comments in there were about Rachele, I think. It sounded like there was an implication that we are asking Rachele to take one step backwards for now to go two steps forward in the future, by saying he can't just rely on his talent.

It's certainly revealing. Working hard is super important, obviously. I'd rather have someone with marginal talent who works hard, than someone with plenty of talent that doesn't work hard. The problem is, the best sides in the comp have players with both talent and work-rate. We're not going to be able to compete with them unless we do as well.

Also, Fog losing 5kg in a week is a pretty serious illness! Geez. Hope he's alright!

The most interesting comments in there were about Rachele, I think. It sounded like there was an implication that we are asking Rachele to take one step backwards for now to go two steps forward in the future, by saying he can't just rely on his talent.
“Also, Fog losing 5kg in a week is a pretty serious illness! Geez. Hope he's alright!”

meh.. have a look at the size of the lad.. he probably drops 3kgs just doing a sh*t!…

It's certainly revealing. Working hard is super important, obviously. I'd rather have someone with marginal talent who works hard, than someone with plenty of talent that doesn't work hard. The problem is, the best sides in the comp have players with both talent and work-rate. We're not going to be able to compete with them unless we do as well
He's created a false dichotomy. If you end up with too many guys that have talent and no heart, or vice versa, it just means you aren't recruiting very well.

Think he has worked out that our poor skills causing turnovers has been a huge factor why we have been at the bottom end of the table.

Clearly we have traded in 2 of the better skilled players in the AFL the past 2 seasons & appear to be prioritising skilled players like Pedlar & Parnell for this season.

I can see why dawson atm is playing in back half. I thought our defence looked shaky at times both defensively and offensively. Smith and milera both did not give enough drive and smith made some poor decisions. Murray and butts were very quiet and butts worried me in one on one contests. We need his leadership and calmness back there. Parnell and he were the two who gave us drive
Have a listen to this ...from 1 min 40 sec ....prioritising your cap spend

BTW who are our goal kicking Mids, that Buckley rates at #2 .....Rankine

Moir, Himmelberg and Redman - draft capital?

Moir - 2023 1st and change to move up - but he may drift or rise - but at least have these plans in place

Himmelberg - not sure if this is a managers ploy or he is genuinely thinking about moving to us - RFA so there might be some cost

Redman - also RFA

And are people prepared to give it up? I have to say if we can get all these 3 then we (hopefully please) have a dynasty phase so as above 2023 1st for Moir then if we need to dip into 2024 then so be it
Speaking of, this makes zero sense and is almost certainly a nothingburger pre-season story, but the port meltdowns would be hilarious Screenshot_20230227-181333_Chrome.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back