Preview AFL 2018 - Preliminary Final - West Coast v Melbourne, Optus Stadium, Sat, Sept 22, 1.20pm WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the GF should be at the G.But;and there is always a but;why did the Eagles play Hawks at Ethiad not the G? Why did WCE have to go to bumf##k Launceston to play Norf not at the G? The unfairness of it is not the ultimate game but the lack of access to games at the G during the regular season.In years that Collywobble and Tiges play finals they have a large advantage in familiarity with the G.Its like Gilcronys steer interstate teams away from the G so they dont get too comfortable there.
Thats easy, etihad had a contract to play a certain amount games there. Hawthorn's home is the mcg, its better playing an interstate team for hawthorn because its still a bit of an advantage. Melbourne had to play st kilda at Etihad in the past as our home game. You played north in tassy because it was scheduled there. It makes sense to play interstate teams for north because they draw less people. So north make money off tassy, play a team that has few supporters in Melbourne and get to play another team at home who's going to add more crowd. Melbourne do it with nt too. I think it was adelaide and freo this year, and i bet it will be interstate teams again next year.
Now lets talk about the prelim, theres other threads dedicated to that.

Imagine of three WA UMPIRES UMPIRED THIS GAME .....IT would be all over afl 360 tonight

All over the healed sun

With idiots like Allan Richardson saying it’s imporoved since no wa umpires are allowed to umpire eagles games .......

I guarantee you ....if eagles win ...no WA UMPIRED WILL BE NAMED IN THE GF ....

THIS IS THE MOST BIASED DECIOSN IVE SEEN IN YEARS.....back to the VFL days once again
In a two state team, theres a greater chance umpires grew up supporting either club. If the same umpires consistently umpired the same team (again more chance in a 2 state team) they would get more familiar with said team. That increases the chance of unintentionally paying a free kick to a familiar player when it might of gone unnoticed other wise.
Its strange, i always seem to notice Nicholls so he must draw us a bit, but i dont notice him for the frees he pays us and hope each week we dont get him. But you want the wa umpires (even though theres only 1 left) back and called it the "most biased decision of all time". Maybe there is something there and its a good idea to mix them up.

Your posts seem over the top angry, so I wouldn’t really be expecting sarcasm to be the first thought.

The point still stands though. If west coast didn’t join it would’ve justmeant footy would have been a local product for Victorian’s.

West coast didn’t save Aussie rules.

Without a national comp Aussie Rules would not be a shadow of the game as we know it & I agree West Coast didnt save Aussie Rules but it was new brick in a crumbling wall.
If you havent read Gary Linnells book, its time.
https://books.google.com.au/books/a...AACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

Without a national comp Aussie Rules would not be a shadow of the game as we know it & I agree West Coast didnt save Aussie Rules but it was new brick in a crumbling wall.
If you havent read Gary Linnells book, its time.
https://books.google.com.au/books/a...AACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y
Of course it would be nowhere near as big at national level. But I believe it actually would’ve meant that local clubs had more support.

Nationalisation was bad for local footy.

In a two state team, theres a greater chance umpires grew up supporting either club. If the same umpires consistently umpired the same team (again more chance in a 2 state team) they would get more familiar with said team. That increases the chance of unintentionally paying a free kick to a familiar player when it might of gone unnoticed other wise.
Its strange, i always seem to notice Nicholls so he must draw us a bit, but i dont notice him for the frees he pays us and hope each week we dont get him. But you want the wa umpires (even though theres only 1 left) back and called it the "most biased decision of all time". Maybe there is something there and its a good idea to mix them up.
I see the logic.

However to basucally call the Wa umpires cheats is poor....not you ..the league is pathetic.

I think too much emphasis gets put on experience playing at grounds.

We have a 8-5 (was 6-5 before the season) record at the G but a 6-1 record interstate this season. Add we are 3-1 at Etihad & GMHBA stadium.

I have felt more confident about us playing away from the MCG rather than at it.

The question is do you think your chances improve if you were playing us at the G this weekend or do you honestly think it makes no difference at all.

I think we have a far better chance of winning this game at home than we would of at the G. If we win this game then next week I believe we are at best 3 goals behind before the start of the game. The stats don't lie, home state games win the majority of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats easy, etihad had a contract to play a certain amount games there. Hawthorn's home is the mcg, its better playing an interstate team for hawthorn because its still a bit of an advantage. Melbourne had to play st kilda at Etihad in the past as our home game. You played north in tassy because it was scheduled there. It makes sense to play interstate teams for north because they draw less people. So north make money off tassy, play a team that has few supporters in Melbourne and get to play another team at home who's going to add more crowd. Melbourne do it with nt too. I think it was adelaide and freo this year, and i bet it will be interstate teams again next year.
Sorry but you haven't addressed the main point!

The question is do you think your chances improve if you were playing us at the G this weekend or do you honestly think it makes no difference at all.

I think we have a far better chance of winning this game at home than we would of at the G. If we win this game then next week I believe we are at best 3 goals behind before the start of the game. The stats don't lie, home state games win the majority of time.

I don't disagree, the Home team generally gets the rub of the green no matter the location.

Do you follow local footy? All host their GFs at the ground with the best facilities. The VFL plays half their finals at port Melbourne’s home.

Its a national comp & its integrity should not be compromised as is the case with the AFL - look back at the 1990 final series to see what year #1 of the AFL served up - it couldnt continue & the format has evolved despite the self interested recalcitrant forces.
Anyone would understand that come GF day your club plays at home & you dont want to lose it, a GF location based on merit is an anathema to you & its easy to see why.

Its a national comp & its integrity should not be compromised as is the case with the AFL - look back at the 1990 final series to see what year #1 of the AFL served up - it couldnt continue & the format has evolved despite the self interested recalcitrant forces.
Anyone would understand that come GF day your club plays at home & you dont want to lose it, a GF location based on merit is an anathema to you & its easy to see why.
None of this even relates to what I was discussing...

Roger that !! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The AFL yesterday told The West Australian just 2800 of the 53,000 tickets had been sold to Melbourne members.

The 5 per cent was on par with the percentage bought by travelling fans to other interstate finals, the AFL said.

Tickets for Saturday afternoon’s blockbuster were sold out yesterday. The AFL said if further tickets became available, they would be released on Ticketmaster at 2pm tomorrow.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...tus-stadium-sabotage-plot-fails-ng-b88964191z

Anyone know the seats @ the G offered to competing club members?

Its an interesting thought.

6 weeks ago I was more confident on the road as opposed to at the G. However alot has changed in that time so Im not so sure now.

No doubt we would have the edge at the MCG now, the same as you guys with Optus. I just think that the advantage would be minimal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

None of this even relates to what I was discussing...

Did you know that Jeremy McGovrn is from Albany at the southern most tip of Western Australia.Away from football Jeremy enjoys wearing singlets,digging holes and checking his bank account statments.

WC have a distinct home ground advantage in the H&A season and also in the finals if they qualify for home finals.

This advantage is outweighed by the disadvantage of the GF being played at the MCG. It's not easy to come up with a workable solution to this though. Playing at a neutral venue or the home venue of the higher finishing side are not better ideas IMO.

The way WC supporters carry on in a ridiculous partisan manner makes it impossible to have any sympathy for any net disadvantage they experience.

I've been to away matches in Adelaide vs both Adelaide and Port and their supporters were very passionate but appropriate and reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back