• Essendon > 30 pts

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah not according the Melbourne faithful

every single dees supporter assured all and sundry that hogan wouldn’t be a loss and that in fact him leaving would actually “help” them become a better team

Hogan was simply a flat track bully and a distraction to the team.

They ve got speedy Sam Weideman, they ll be just fine

If you can't see that conceding 130+ points 2 weeks in a row hasn't got the slightest ******* thing to do with Hogan then you need help. Good to see he really help you win over GC though.

Tippa back in form.

Stringer putting his back into every contest.

Fantasia kicked straight and got the ball (his first 2 games of the year he had 22 touches, 5 marks with 0.7, 3 inside 50s and 0 goal assists, tonight he had 21 disposals, 10 marks, 2 goals, 4 inside 50s and a goal assist)

McKernan, well, still McKernan. No in game or round by round consistency but hey he can be dangerous.

Add Daniher and a resting mid like Smith/Parish.

I like the Bombers forward line.

Gawn... overrated. Good footballer, but not Top 10
Oliver... overrated. Ditto ^^^ Gets plenty of it, but doesn't do much with it
Petracca... overrated. Tries to be the big hero and fails.

Melbourne... Overrated. They are miles off being a contender.

Laughable to think everyone had them pencilled for 1st/2nd/3rd

you're a twat. oliver would be your best player this year if he was playing for you guys.
I love how everyone says they thought we are overrated etc. well we have the same team that took us to a prelim. smashed geelong, smashed the hawks. we're just grossly out of form and have an injury list s mile long.

Rather than acknowledging that both teams pressure could lead to a scrappy game, its cooler to just say they are both s**t.

But the point was in a game with that many soft goals, the pressure wasn't up to standard.

Rather than thinking I'm some sort of sophisticated fan, I just like games where defence is equal to attack. I'm not asking for Ross Lyon to coach every team, I just don't think a 130-112 game is inherently better than a 89-71 game just because there was more goals. Which is what the AFL and C7 seem to think.

They re-signed Goodwin on the eve of round 1 until 2022!

Jeez if they waited a bit longer...

I said that was a horrible decision before round 1 started. There was no need, no club was taking him. There was no benefit an always risk. Didn't think it would blow up this quick though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nah not according the Melbourne faithful

every single dees supporter assured all and sundry that hogan wouldn’t be a loss and that in fact him leaving would actually “help” them become a better team

Hogan was simply a flat track bully and a distraction to the team.

They ve got speedy Sam Weideman, they ll be just fine
Most sane Melbourne supporters know Hogan is a gun. Tom McDonald looks injured to me and is playing like s**t, and Weideman isn’t doing enough. The gamble was that May could bolster our defence and Weideman and McDonald would be a dangerous one two. All three of those been have flops so far this year.

He said he was disappointed the game was decided by lots of 50/50 decisions, both ways, late in the game, rather than letting the game play out.

There was 51 free kicks paid tonight compared to 30 last night. It was over officiated beyond doubt.

And I’ve said it in every single one of my posts, this was both ways. It didn’t cost us the game, it just made it an incredibly frustrating game to watch, just look at the neutral comments on this thread.
He never said both ways.

He openly barracked for Melbourne and then threw a massive dummy spit when they lost.

We absolutely got the rub of the green but he absolutely embarrassed himself in the box tonight.

you're a twat. oliver would be your best player this year if he was playing for you guys.
I love how everyone says they thought we are overrated etc. well we have the same team that took us to a prelim. smashed geelong, smashed the hawks. we're just grossly out of form and have an injury list s mile long.

Nice that you are thinking positive. It is obvious though that you are living a fairytale. Lol.

Do you automatically consider a high quality game and an entertaining game the same thing though?

Two perfectly skilled teams chipping it around all game is far less entertaining than two poorly skilled teams smashing into each other all night chasing chaos ball turnovers (for example).
As a neutral I get where your coming from and yes it’s entertaining in parts (a chaos game like tonight)
And Stating the game was Nothing short of rubbish might ve been a bit strong but I was commenting on it from a holistic view.

It was , to me quite frustrating to watch. The poor skills , bewildering decision making st times but more so than anything the umpiring.

I have no qualms stating it was the worst officiated game I can remember.
(I sure as hell wasnt the only one either)
It’s just turned the game into a complete confusion for all involved.
Players, officials and fans alike.

It totally had an influence on the contest and the players and subsequent plays that resulted from some of the most bewildering calls and none calls was nothing short of farcical at times.

But so many will just sit back and say “all those goals tho!!, what a game!”

As a spectacle for what makes this game truly great i sure as hell wouldn’t be using it as some sort of example to a new observer of the game.

I’m sure they’d be just like me any others and be sitting back after seeing that and thinking
“What the **** did I just watch”

Entertaining game for a neutral, no defensive pressure and heaps of goals, very free flowing. Still big problems for Essendon and obviously even bigger problems for Melbourne, but yeah heaps of fun to watch. Awful commentating, umpiring was equally bad to both teams but terrible inconsistency and a lot of big calls missed. Mcdonald-tipinwuti (sp?) and Stringer are an entertaining bunch, Essendon are far from my favourite team but the forward line seems capable on paper anyway of being super fun. 7.3/10

Once Lever and May are back, I hope to never watch Frost again at senior level.
Forget Frost, Oscar McDonald is the worst key position player in the league. Not having May and Lever, and losing Hogan is what's killing Melbourne. Hogan being the biggest loss because teams are now playing their best defender on McDonald and he's struggling ... looks disinterested.

Pit McDonald, Frost, McDonald and Weidemann against any spine in the league and see where it sits. They'd be in last spot in my estimates. It's impossible to have any success when you take that into consideration. It's the sole reason Collingwood lost the GF last year, Melbourne capitulated in the prelim and West Coast won the flag.

I don't get why clubs feel the urgency to sign coaches up for any longer than a year by year case.

Especially on the eve of a new season when there is media hype about which coach will be sacked etc.

Goodwin is not a coach teams would be head-hunting as Melbourne have not done anything yet.

A coach that has built a list to win a premiership is worthy of a decent contract..

Melbourne were riding this wave of hype and now it's looking like they may struggle to make top 5.. Let alone be a flag chance.

He never said both ways.

He openly barracked for Melbourne and then threw a massive dummy spit when they lost.

We absolutely got the rub of the green but he absolutely embarrassed himself in the box tonight.
If I could be ****ed finding the quote, I can guarantee he said pretty much exactly what I said about 50/50 decisions both ways. If it seemed like he was favouring Melbourne with other umpiring comments, it’s probably because we were copping the rough end of it in general.

Anyway, fair play, I genuinely think Essendon deserved to win, on the third quarter alone, and I’m not sticking up for Wayne bloody Carey any longer.

I don't get why clubs feel the urgency to sign coaches up for any longer than a year by year case.

Especially on the eve of a new season when there is media hype about which coach will be sacked etc.

Goodwin is not a coach teams would be head-hunting as Melbourne have not done anything yet.

A coach that has built a list to win a premiership is worthy of a decent contract..

Melbourne were riding this wave of hype and now it's looking like they may struggle to make top 5.. Let alone be a flag chance.
Top 5? Where do I sign?

Back