News AFL 2020 Season Suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

apolgy for bad english it is my first languagen’t
where were you when AFL die
i was at aldi stock up on poo ticket when phone ring
“AFL is kil”
“no”
Come back when you get some better material.

In all seriousness it is absolutely mind blowing to be living through such a big historical event as this pandemic. I hope all the AFL clubs survive but I can see a lot changing over the course of the year globally and within Australia. This is an event your grandkids will ask you about.

If the AFL goes bankrupt then the AFL competition is gone.

That will mean a new competition would need to be formed, with old clubs having to apply to join the new competition, clubs that have not already gone under themselves.
The AFL won't go under. Not a chance.

Gil looks like he hasn't slept in days.

He really does have a nice manly voice though, doesn't he?

Between that, the full head of hair, and the Melbourne Uni connections, I can see how he made it into the gig.

81b11cd5b89ed87ed8e9dccd87601c12.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AFL won't go bankrupt. It's likely they will resume the season in late August / September if they need to under the worst case scenario. They could then play until summer to recoup their broadcasting revenue and finish the season.

The main issue is the cashflow in the short term. I think the players will take a pay cut until they start playing again. The banks will be able to lend them some short term cash too.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean? interested to hear more.
Well half the club's make a loss every year when they are playing. Without gate takings it's probably multiple clubs will take on 20-30m losses. The AFL also loses 300-400m in tv revenue.

GC and GWS take up 50-100m in handouts aswell.

Some clubs might genuinely die.

The AFL won't go bankrupt. It's likely they will resume the season in late August / September if they need to under the worst case scenario. They could then play until summer to recoup their broadcasting revenue and finish the season.

The main issue is the cashflow in the short term. I think the players will take a pay cut until they start playing again. The banks will be able to lend them some short term cash too.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They cant play until summer. Cricket takes over priority for the stadiums especially with the T20 world Cup.

So what do people think will happen in terms of the AFL finances?
Government bailout. Obviously.

By the way, some irony in the fact that the players wanted a percentage of revenue. They got it.

Now revenue is closer to zero, I'd dare say they aren't quite so happy with the deal they bargained for.

Proclaiming the death of the AFL is hysteria. This was always going to happen and Gil is honestly naive if he is as shocked as he claims.

Lockdowns will be lifted in time and then they will smash out a season as efficiently as possible, potentially with crowds.

Government bailout. Obviously.

I am not sure I am in favour of that, not when more important businesses need the money. If the AFL is to survive they should be able to survive on their own. I don't want the government paying the AFL when hospitals and the poor need the money a lot more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back