News AFL 2020 Season Suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it matter if the AFL goes under? (it won't)

Doesn't matter what they call it, as long as it's footy with same clubs (or identities). Maybe we can shift the deadwood.

It matters if we lose clubs, there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to come back even in a new league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRL have apparently announced they are going to continue to play.
Advantage League.

The nuffies at AFL House have just had their Super League moment.

A chance to lead the sport of Aussie Rules through a storm.

They buckled under pressure. League to rule the roost for the next twenty years.

Any advice on which team to follow? Not the Broncos (I used to live in Brisbane).

Preferably a team likely to win next weekend. I want the first game I watch to be a win for my new team.

Absolute s**t show by the AFL and Gil. While every other major sporting competition in the world was shutting down, this idiot and his cronies decided to go ahead for the sake of some TV advert revenue.

Sort of head in the sand for $$ attitude that should see him lose his job.

Imagine having the entire world shut down because someone ate a dirty bat/pangolin...except we don't have to imagine anymore

giphy.gif

Advantage League.

They buckled under pressure. League to rule the roost for the next twenty years.

Any advice on which team to follow? Not the Broncos. I used to live in Brisbane.

It seems really dumb to give our biggest competitor such an advantage.

It matters if we lose clubs, there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to come back even in a new league.
What's stopping clone clubs starting up?

ie. St Kilda go under, new club for 2021 based in St Kilda with effectively the same brand joins the new competition.

ie. St Kilda go under, new club for 2021 based in St Kilda with effectively the same brand joins the new competition.

Only works if the current St Kilda does not completely run out of money in 2020. If they run out of money they would not be able to apply for the new 2021 competition as they would not have the capital to do so.

Yep, the admin might go bust for a year or two but the club can re-start as if nothing has happened.

The AFL won't go bankrupt. It's likely they will resume the season in late August / September if they need to under the worst case scenario. They could then play until summer to recoup their broadcasting revenue and finish the season.

The main issue is the cashflow in the short term. I think the players will take a pay cut until they start playing again. The banks will be able to lend them some short term cash too.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They get paid monthly, so players already have 5 months wages. They should line them up some useful online tafe/ uni courses so their time is not wasted. I would try to do something like pay about 75% of this year's wages, more if more games are played( God help us all if that is not possible).

I honestly could see the AFL dying and a new competition forming in 2021, with the current clubs who are still solvent able to apply for the new competition, the new competition quickly negotiating a TV deal while the clubs negotiate their own stadium deals.

No idea what would happen with players though, as in this situation I don't think players would be tied to any club as all contracts would be ripped up if the AFL goes belly up.

Except Buddy’s contract would still count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the admin might go bust for a year or two but the club can re-start as if nothing has happened.

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure the players contracts are technically with the AFL, so if the AFL goes belly up then all contracts are immediately null and void. In theory lets say Collingwood is back in 2021, they could have a very different list than they do today, as would every other club.

Does it matter if the AFL goes under? (it won't)

Doesn't matter what they call it, as long as it's footy with same clubs (or identities). Maybe we can shift the deadwood.
The AFL has survived 2 World wars and the Spanish flu.

The AFL has survived 2 World wars and the Spanish flu.
Very different though, was not a professional game back then.

Clubs in 1940 had nowhere near the same amount of overheads as they have now.

Advantage League.

Any advice on which team to follow? Not the Broncos (I used to live in Brisbane).

Preferably a team likely to win next weekend. I want the first game I watch to be a win for my new team.

Can't see how they will be able to continue either if the states close borders and isolation is required. Like the AFl, they're hoping to get to April 1 for broadcast payment so will most likely do whatever they can until they get it into the bank account

Advantage League.

So much tripe in one post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back