Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 9 - Port v Dogs Sat May 15th 7:40pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In relation to that particular clip. There are three Port players well positioned to win that hard ball on the inside. Libba beats all three of them, not by playing illegally but by being more committed to winning the ball. The fact that Libba wins that contested ball is the story, not what happens afterwards.

Opposition supporters can whine all you want but if your midfields started getting first hands to it, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
If you go in without having to worry about how to dispose it, its a different game.

That's why Charlie dixon still attempts to go for marks against top 8 sides I guess...just for the sake of 'going in'
Nice attempt at deflection - I mean any topic is better than a highlight clip posted by your own club of Libba throwing the ball
1621161156725.png

If you go in without having to worry about how to dispose it, its a different game.
Got it, your three midfielders don’t think they will be able to legally handball it, so they let Libba have it. Makes total sense.

That definitely explains the loss.

I never said he wasn't. He is definitely in the top 3 I'd say... He still throws it.

As do many many other players and as mentioned yes plenty of Port players. It's an AFL-wide issue. Either they accept that flick/shuttle style handballs are ok or they crack down on them.

This is exactly what is frustrating for fans of every club. He has clearly flicked this out with a throw/open palm, should that count as a handball?
You can see his left arm come through for the handball. If you're saying you can see clearly that his left hand was an open palm in that footage, I'm calling you a liar.

If you're only looking at his right arm/hand, then yes it looks like a throw. In that case however, you need to look at bit harder at the footage.

If that's your evidence that he throws, I can see why you've been laughed at.

You can see his left arm come through for the handball. If you're saying you can see clearly that his left hand was an open palm in that footage, I'm calling you a liar.

If you're only looking at his right arm/hand, then yes it looks like a throw. In that case however, you need to look at bit harder at the footage.

a handball can't go at right angles to the direction of the hand striking the ball

a handball can't go at right angles to the direction of the hand striking the ball
What the hell are you talking about? His left arm comes though in a straight line directly to Macrae.

Are you another one that thinks he handballed this with his right hand??? If so, I can see why you might think it's a throw. Watch again.

1621221020194.png

What the hell are you talking about? His left arm comes though in a straight line directly to Macrae.

Are you another one that thinks he handballed this with his right hand??? If so, I can see why you might think it's a throw. Watch again.

View attachment 1130012

I thought the first was a throw but the second (by number 11) was a throw attested to by the angle of the ball to the so called hand ball

so two throws in 2 seconds

I thought the first was a throw but the second (by number 11) was a throw attested to by the angle of the ball to the so called hand ball

Haha ok.
I mean, I haven't played footy for a few years now but even I can still execute that handball. Not that difficult to bring your fist into your body and punch outwards to do one of those "inside-out" handpasses. And that's me, let alone an AFL level footballer in 2021.

You're either trolling or just embarrassing yourself with that stuff.

So throwing is legal as Long as you win the contested ball? K good to know.

His left hand did come through but its open as you can see from the image posted above yours. If an open palm is a handball then sure its fine. But there is no way he handballed that one with a closed fist.

The only people who can't admit he throws it are bulldog supporters.

His left hand did come through but its open as you can see from the image posted above yours. If an open palm is a handball then sure its fine. But there is no way he handballed that one with a closed fist.

Not sure Port can claim they were robbed by the umpires.

Some absolute shockers your way, and you got away with holding our midfielders all game

If you don’t know who Macrae is, I’m not sure anyone should be listening to your opinion on anything to do with football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don’t know who Macrae is, I’m not sure anyone should be listening to your opinion on anything to do with football

So you can’t debate issues on facts or don’t like the facts? So you resort to this?

It's irrelevant what his hand or palm is doing after he's actually handballed. You have no idea if it's open or closed at the point of contact with the ball.

It's actually nothing to do with him being a bulldog. There are plenty of other players from other teams that get accused of throwing as well. I disagree with those assessments also. I personally think the skill level involved with handballing has developed so much in the past 5-10 years that the types of handballs we're seeing these days is revolutionary. We're seeing over the shoulder, behind the head, opposite hand inside-out passes, the list goes on. The ability of these guys is off the charts.. players like Oliver, Cripps, etc the things they can do with their hands has not been seen before. I get that sometimes they may look like throws but when you actually look closely at it, it's just their ridiculous skill level. Bulldogs have a couple of these elite handballers in Libba and Macrae and watching every single game (often multiple times) I can say that if they throw it, the majority of the time the umpires ping them. There may be the odd one missed here or there, but it's in the same ballpark as the umps missing a HTB or in the back or holding free. The umps never have perfectly officiated games.

Let's say they did miss this "throw" by Libba, they missed other frees against Port in the game. And even if they didn't, one missed free didn't affect the outcome. You got beaten by the better side on the day, spend your time looking at your own side and where you can improve rather than sooking it up about an irrelevant umpiring decision.

It's irrelevant what his hand or palm is doing after he's actually handballed. You have no idea if it's open or closed at the point of contact with the ball.

It's actually nothing to do with him being a bulldog. There are plenty of other players from other teams that get accused of throwing as well. I disagree with those assessments also. I personally think the skill level involved with handballing has developed so much in the past 5-10 years that the types of handballs we're seeing these days is revolutionary. We're seeing over the shoulder, behind the head, opposite hand inside-out passes, the list goes on. The ability of these guys is off the charts.. players like Oliver, Cripps, etc the things they can do with their hands has not been seen before. I get that sometimes they may look like throws but when you actually look closely at it, it's just their ridiculous skill level. Bulldogs have a couple of these elite handballers in Libba and Macrae and watching every single game (often multiple times) I can say that if they throw it, the majority of the time the umpires ping them. There may be the odd one missed here or there, but it's in the same ballpark as the umps missing a HTB or in the back or holding free. The umps never have perfectly officiated games.

Let's say they did miss this "throw" by Libba, they missed other frees against Port in the game. And even if they didn't, one missed free didn't affect the outcome. You got beaten by the better side on the day, spend your time looking at your own side and where you can improve rather than sooking it up about an irrelevant umpiring decision.

Agree

I’ve recommended in the port forum, port need to throw the ball more.

If you’re not at the cutting edge, you won’t win a flag.

The best example is the dogs flag of throwing and stepping over the mark to hold up the play. It worked and was delivered the ultimate reward. Every club needs to follow.

Agree

The best example is the dogs flag of throwing and stepping over the mark to hold up the play. It worked and was delivered the ultimate reward. Every club needs to follow.
It's getting embarrassing for you mate

Pull out while you still can

Agree

It shocks nobody that a Port Adelaide fan is looking to ensure it's team adapts the techniques of other teams to assure success as opposed to being innovative and not copying. It's the Prison Bar Guernsey all over again!

It shocks nobody that a Port Adelaide fan is looking to ensure it's team adapts the techniques of other teams to assure success as opposed to being innovative and not copying. It's the Prison Bar Guernsey all over again!
They copy Liverpool, then Collingwood and now want to copy us?!

Back