Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 24 - Eagles v Crows Sat Aug 26th 8:10pm EST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Score flatters us. Should've been another 100 pt belting.

Hope GWS win tomorrow so at least the bad call didn't make the difference in Adelaide playing finals in the end.
Sydney would need to beat Melbourne as well - else we would have been in the finals instead of them.

josh kennedy looks like he's fresh off an acoustic set down the pub.

I used to see him knocking around in my old hood in Perth and he looks like a downbeat hipster/bum, you would never pick him as an AFL player.

I guess he didn't want to be recognised, he didn't fool me though.

So by my calculations , if Sydney and gws both win tomorrow the crows wouldn't have made finals anyway, so I guess that's what we're barracking for now?

Eagles going the tank hard now.
Wow.. a club that once prided itself on its winning culture and never rebuilding is now looking to actively lose to get a one spot higher on the draft ladder.

Even more laughable that their supporters , who apparently never “accepted mediocrity” are taking delight in losing and winning the wooden spoon
How's that glass house holding up hero?

Why don’t you look up how many goals he has against Melbourne, collingwood and port
Walker Goals v Finalists (added GWS as they are a chance to make the 8.)
7.4 v Port Adelaide
5.1 v Collingwood
5.0 v Brisbane
5.0 v St Kilda
4.0 v Melbourne
3.3 v Calton
2.3 v Brisbane
2.2 v GWS
2.1 v Sydney
1.2 v GWS
1.0 v Melbourne
0.1 v Port Adelaide
DNP v Western Bulldogs

Thought I'll add Curnow for fun
6.0 v Collingwood
3.3 v St Kilda
3.3 v Port Adelaide
3.2 v Collingwood
2.3 v GWS
2.3 v Western Bulldogs
2.0 v Melbourne
1.3 v Sydney
1.2 v Brisbane
1.0 v St Kilda
1.0 v Melbourne

Think I would have Walker v a Finalist this year than Curnow.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7.4 v Port Adelaide
5.1 v Collingwood
5.0 v Brisbane
5.0 v St Kilda
4.0 v Melbourne
3.3 v Calton
2.3 v Brisbane
2.2 v GWS
2.1 v Sydney
1.2 v GWS
1.0 v Melbourne
0.1 v Port Adelaide
DNP v Western Bulldogs

6.0 v Collingwood
3.3 v St Kilda
3.3 v Port Adelaide
3.2 v Collingwood
2.3 v GWS
2.3 v Western Bulldogs
2.0 v Melbourne
1.3 v Sydney
1.2 v Brisbane
1.0 v St Kilda
1.0 v Melbourne

Add Nick Larkey to your comparison, as he should really be All-Australian but, you just know they will include sentiment into picking that team.

I agree he got a bag against Port (and none in the other game), but 25% of his goals in two games, I would have Larkey in my All- Australian team.

Curnow got the same amount of goals against them.

Larkey is also the only standout player in the Roos' forward line.

Tex, Curnow and even Allen had to deal with having other competent players up there.

Do a comparison between Larkey and Tex and see how much better Tex has gone through almost all stats. He's more complete than Larkey.

Had to go to bed early last night so just caught up with the replay. Thoughts:

• Loved Simmo's reaction to Shuey's goal
  • Tom Cole's goal was probably my personal highlight, and loved how much he enjoyed it
  • the Gaff chasedown tackle on Rachele
  • Gollant looks like a find for the Crows, a shame the season ended when it did as he could've really done with a run of games to take that SANFL momentum and consolidate himself as a ruck-forward option. Born on Sep 12th 2001 too.
  • Tex was extremely selfish, but in that second half he showed he had every right to be, a deadly masterclass and one of the more unassuming big bags you'll see nowadays despite most of those goals being difficult. Given the context of how wasteful the Crows had been, with 6 goals from about 37 or so I50s at one point, he dragged them into ascendancy and was potting them from everywhere against any opponent the longer the match wore on
  • Jack Williams in looks, build and hair reminds me so much of the oldschool 90s eagles, indeed with Maric, Long, Hewett, etc. there is a bit of a throwback feel to these new lads.
  • Starting to warm to Pav as commentator, felt he was sharper than usual and rather funny
  • lol at that same goal umpire in the second half cautiously laying bricks: first hugging the post was fair enough, second in prime position touched well beyond was a weak check, a few possible touched including one further out a field ump would normally challenge instead

B&F - Tim Kelly should win pretty easily, only missed a game or two, only went missing in another game or two, was otherwise among our best most weeks and come this final game was looking really fit. Allen almost certainly on the podium somewhere given impact, leadership and playing with niggles but obviously the ball didn't come to him much some weeks. Barrass probably leading at some point through the first half of season but likely drops from top 5 given how many games he missed late (to a lesser extent, Sheed & Ginbey will slide too). Would like to see Bailey Williams get a top 10 as recognition of service, feel it would be earned given his week-to-week performance.

I've always been a Simmo fan and want him to continue, having watched all but 1 or 2 games this year I was fine with how he performed given the particular circumstances and have belief he can continue this rebuild, or at least see out the contract remaining. Eagles themselves subsequent to that Swans loss were generally improved and mostly good value in the last several weeks, handily beaten by the Dockers and Blues but otherwise gave a decent account in contest and gave a hint of respectability to a season heading in a late Fitzroy direction. We also killed the tanking rumours and got Reid, so there's that. A spoon is a spoon, but whereas in 2010 it felt a bit unfair given we were competitive, I think this year it's a fair reflection of the overall season which had enough 100+ drubbings to drag the percentage way down. 16th was so remote from our level this year, but giving the Saints & Bombers a scare, did the job on North and the bonus reward of the away Doggies win. Hopefully 2024 sees a healthier more resilient team with further youth development.

Last edited:

Larkey is also the only standout

Larkey is also the only standout player in the Roos' forward line.

Tex, Curnow and even Allen had to deal with having other competent players up there.

Do a comparison between Larkey and Tex and see how much better Tex has gone through almost all stats. He's more complete than Larkey.
Doing that same with Walker vs Curnow, Curnow edges out Walker in 9/10 stats. So if that's the metric, then i can't see how Walker can be All-Australian

Add Nick Larkey to your comparison, as he should really be All-Australian but, you just know they will include sentiment into picking that team.
Sure, lets see...

Larkey v Finalist (Plus GWS)
5.2 v Collingwood
4.2 v GWS
4.1 v Port Adelaide
3.1 v Western Bulldogs
3.1 v St Kilda
3.0 v St Kilda
2.1 v Sydney
2.1 v Melbourne
1.2 v Melbourne
1.0 v Brisbane
0.1 v Calton

7.4 v Port Adelaide
5.1 v Collingwood
5.0 v Brisbane
5.0 v St Kilda
4.0 v Melbourne
3.3 v Calton
2.3 v Brisbane
2.2 v GWS
2.1 v Sydney
1.2 v GWS
1.0 v Melbourne
0.1 v Port Adelaide
DNP v Western Bulldogs

6.0 v Collingwood
3.3 v St Kilda
3.3 v Port Adelaide
3.2 v Collingwood
2.3 v GWS
2.3 v Western Bulldogs
2.0 v Melbourne
1.3 v Sydney
1.2 v Brisbane
1.0 v St Kilda
1.0 v Melbourne

Seems Larkey is close to the same goal output v Finalist as Curnow in a much weaker team.

Because I'm bored, Walker v Curnow against the bottom 4 teams

Walker v Bottom 4
10.2 v West Coast
9.4 v West Coast
4.1 v Hawthorn
3.3 v North Melbourne
2.1 v Gold Coast
2.0 v Gold Coast

30.11 v Bottom 4 teams

Curnow v Bottom 4
10.3 v West Coast
9.3 v West Coast
6.2 v North Melbourne
5.1 v Gold Caost
3.2 v Hawthorn
2.2 v Gold Coast

35.14 v Bottom 4 teams

So Walker is better v Finalist, Curnow better v Bottom 4.

Because I'm bored, Walker v Curnow against the bottom 4 teams

Walker v Bottom 4
10.2 v West Coast
9.4 v West Coast
4.1 v Hawthorn
3.3 v North Melbourne
2.1 v Gold Coast
2.0 v Gold Coast

30.11 v Bottom 4 teams

Curnow v Bottom 4
10.3 v West Coast
9.3 v West Coast
6.2 v North Melbourne
5.1 v Gold Caost
3.2 v Hawthorn
2.2 v Gold Coast

35.14 v Bottom 4 teams

So Walker is better v Finalist, Curnow better v Bottom 4.

So Walker gets 37 in 12 games against finalists - average 3.08 per game
Curnow gets 25 in 11 - avge 2.27
Larkey has 28 in 11 - average 2.54

Walker the clear winner.

Back