Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 8 - Blues v Lions Fri May 5th 7:50pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Roaming Boofhead is a menace, it's only a matter of time until he bursts into the showers and talks to the players about the lengths of their schlongs.
Don't break the remote getting a freeze-frame.

Nah Cripps is good. Who cares?
I reckon the Brownlow means more to him than a premiership medal would. Just a terrible look for a captain of a club who were so bloody close to finals last year.

I reckon the Brownlow means more to him than a premiership medal would. Just a terrible look for a captain of a club who were so bloody close to finals last year.
I reckon we read too much into these things. Plays his guts out with oppo sitting on his shoulders.

Roaming Boofhead is a menace, it's only a matter of time until he bursts into the showers and talks to the players about the lengths of their schlongs.

When he just opened that closed door I genuinely thought we were about to see more of Simon Meredith than we've ever seen before.

I reckon we read too much into these things. Plays his guts out with oppo sitting on his shoulders.
Oh I don’t doubt he tries his guts out but his role as captain is to inspire his teammates to do the same. Just don’t reckon it’s happening.

Once again, we were shown up to be frauds & charlatans.

Great first quarter, got the shakes in the second, completely obliterated in the third and then tried to impersonate Houdini in the last with an attempted escape but had way too much ground to make up.

We had a number of key players down on form or had the fumbles under the pressure the Lions applied.

We are still 4-5 players away from being a serious contender, right now, we are only going to hang around for nuisance value and fall short of the 8 yet again.

Have a look at the five opponents we have to face in the next 5-weeks - Dogs, Pies, Swans, Dees & Bombers .............. there is no way known we are going to beat any of them on what we have seen thus far this season.

Start doing the player reviews now and work out who to delist and who to trade, we are done for 2023.

Carlton played the same standard they have played all year they just came up against better opposition. I think most people could see that. The list build isn't right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton’s field kicking under pressure is woeful. Imagine having 2 gun key forwards when some teams don’t even have 1 and still being a middle of the road team.

Yep. Their mids are poor by foot and it’ll kill them in big games more often than not. Winning contested ball and clearance is one thing, doing something productive with it is another.

That was pretty alarming tonight imo. For most of the game they looked completely outclassed. I wouldn’t put someone else’s money on them for the flag right now.

Carlton played the same standard they have played all year they just came up against better opposition. I think most people could see that. The list build isn't right.

6 All-Australians including two Coleman medalists and a Brownlow medalist, as well as Weitering who's made the AA squad last three years.

6 All-Australians including two Coleman medalists and a Brownlow medalist, as well as Weitering who's made the AA squad last three years.

Yep, but then the list drops off a cliff. So they have like 8 or so really good players and then the bulk of their starting 23 are bottom 6 players to players who aren't getting a game at a top 8 club and probably some middling clubs.

Blues forwardline seems a bit 1 dimensional. Who are their smaller types to lock it in, lay some tackles and create opportunities from neutral/dirty ball?

Has Cripps had enough of Carlton?

He is starting to resemble Judd in his last couple of years at the Blues. (ignoring the shoulder bandages).
Juddy went out full of energy and commitment, put his body on the line, took the hard hits and kept on giving 100%. Absolute champion with best in class skills. But for the last couple of years he had the look of someone who had too much pride to just "dial it in" but was tired of carrying the team and his body couldn't keep up.

Cripps is the target for all teams to shut down due to his fantastic skills, and all teams would take him in a heartbeat. But IMO he has a look of someone who is too proud to stop trying but is tired of having to carry such a load.

Could be totally wrong but to me the resemblance is strong.
Big chance he doesn’t play finals if he stays there

Blues forwardline seems a bit 1 dimensional. Who are their smaller types to lock it in, lay some tackles and create opportunities from neutral/dirty ball?

BT was lauding the coaches for telling the players to kick the ball to Curnow and McKay every time. The reality is, it makes them incredibly predictable and they either have no other talent in their forward line or they're poorly coached.

Frankly, I'm starting to think Vossy is making the best of a bad situation. They just lack any quality in their 'bottom six' players.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, they don't get a lot from their their forwards that aren't Curnow or McKay. Apart from those two, none of their forwards lead up the ground and present as an option. The result is that their defenders and mids end up under pressure with the ball, and need to pull our miracles to advance the ball if the pressure is on.

Back