AFL grand final Draw - Full Replay or Extra Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Extra time. All Day Long. Remember the scenes in Richmond post match after the drawn GF in 2010. As the rain began to fall, the fans wandered off, bewildered, not knowing what to say. Felt like Monday morning going into work. Yuck! The whole week felt wrong leading up to the replay. You can't climb Everest again so soon. God only knows how the players got up for it.
Half of them didn't

Extra time, no doubt - what if there's a draw in the replay??
Actually surprised that there hasn't been more draws in GF's and finals in general.

3 out of 125 grand finals seems about right, we had 2 draws this season out of 207 games.

Admittedly a draw maybe a bit more likely in a GF due to theoretically more evenly matched sides.

Honestly surprised the feelings are so pro-extra time rather than reply, didn't realise I was in such a minority.

The other aspect I liked about the replay is the fact that more members attend, as the corporates have all been taken care of in the first game.

Think there was a nickname "the people's grand final" for the second one last time, can't remember which paper was calling it that.
The members point is a actually a good one
Never thought of that
But I still don’t agree with the replay

It appears I'm in the minority but I loved the drama of the replay in 2010, everyone having to get up and do it again, the elimination of all those corporate packages and more fans getting to see it. Yeah, it's a shame the game didn't live up to it, but the win feels more deserving. The best team wins, not necessarily the least fatigued.

This really is a stupid game. It's so insular that it is inbred.

Imagine a foreign sports fan trying to wrap their brains around this being a a serious point of discussion.

I tend to want a replay, for 2 reasons.

1) I'm an old-fart traditionalist.
2) It's the same rule as a H&A game. No extra time.

However - I wouldn't be fussed if it moved to extra time. I can see all the arguments for it, and we already use it in other finals for commercial rather than football reasons. If the GF did become extra time, then all H&A games should also be extra time.

It's interesting to note, the crowds in the 3 Grand Final replays the competition had:

1948 - 52K in the replay (85k in the drawn)
1977 - 98K (108k)
2010 - 93K (100K)

NSWRL had the same in their two drawn grand finals
1977 - 48K (65K)
1978 - 33K (51K)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back