AFL presser at 10am - Demetriou gone. Keep in all in here people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stayed on to long best work was done early to middle of his tenure.Its all been downhill since then .obvious bias to interstate clubs some Vic clubs need help too,made the Afl a dictatorship biggest failing was to govern for all clubs with all the AFL resources no club should struggle .Should be a limited tenure for this position maybe 8 yrs.and please don't appoint any of his cronies Fitzpatrick there's a stench around him already Gillon just a clone put the wrong person in this position you just can't get rid of them .like Andy in his last few years few people didn't want him gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Obvious bias to interstate clubs? More Vic clubs get special assistance grants than interstate clubs. What more help do they need?

He tried helping the Vic clubs out by balancing the geographical spread of the league a bit better, but nobody wanted that.

What else should he do?

I didn't see this coming at all :eek:

Now that Vlad's gone at the end of the season will the new guy maybe not give us much leeway to GWS as it's not his baby? It will be very interesting to see how a new administration runs the game, because for all the hate Demetriou has copped, he did a pretty damn good job in expanding the game.

Expansion, like more $$$$ is not necessarily what's best for the game. ;)

Dead right if he did for the AFL what he did for Pies there would be no looking back .having said that it would be interesting for someone who is outspoken about fair playing field etc to put his money where his mouth is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Eddie wouldn't last in the job. How long did he last as CEO of Channel 9. There would be as many people gunning for him to fail as CEO of the AFL as there were at Channel 9. Its just one of those things.

The guy had to work with a hypothetical office desk with two legs diferent lengths to the others, meaning the desk is almost unstable and workable. The legs are etihad stadium and the tv rights

Tvrights has been sorted to a point but his successor will have to deal with the etihad leg.

Successor will also have to deal with getting clubs more even given some are huge and some not so huge. The etihad thing doesnt help much

Good luck to the successor

But that's a hypothetical question that is irrelevant. As one poster pointed out, 10 years ago AFL & NRL were neck & neck for revenue. Now AFL is 3 X bigger
Completely the opposite. It is the only relevant test we could have. Take two leagues and consider if the same person could have succeeded with either of them.

Seems a bit abrupt if he is leaving...Hope he isnt though. Despite what everyone here says, what he has done for game has been great.

12 months ago i would have agreed with the part about the state of the game as the AFL have successfully expanded and successfully cemented itself as the number 1 sporting code against improved competition from various sporting codes, plus to have seen all clubs survive during a period of difficult economic conditions.

Unfortunately Demetriou's performance over the past 12 months as been that of a person that has overstayed in the position and hopefully the AFL can move in a new direction.

Call me cynical but it seems a bit suss that he is leaving within 48 hours of the leaking of the Essendon players, this could rightly or wrongly leave the perception that he leaked the names as a farewell gift.

I will give him a 7/10 as being the CEO is a difficult job and generally he has done the job well.

Worse that RompingLarfs is Fat Heady McGuire. Within 3 years it would become like the EPL where Collingwood, WestCoast, Essendon, Hawthorn, Adelaide and Fremantle battle for the flag every year.

Eddie wouldn't last in the job. How long did he last as CEO of Channel 9. There would be as many people gunning for him to fail as CEO of the AFL as there were at Channel 9. Its just one of those things.

As Eddie said in relation to replacing Demetriou...

"Why would I take a demotion from running the Collingwood Football Club"

Worse that RompingLarfs is Fat Heady McGuire. Within 3 years it would become like the EPL where Collingwood, WestCoast, Essendon, Hawthorn, Adelaide and Fremantle battle for the flag every year.

Eddie it is then. At least it would balance out the force a little in the AFL, given the last 10 years have been spent so far to the left that another step that direction was into the abyss. Perhaps a few years right of centre would balance the mojo.

#voteeddie

Nope, that's rubbish too. The AFL/VFL has always higher attendances than the NRL/ARL.
729-sports-spectators-620x349.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely the opposite. It is the only relevant test we could have. Take two leagues and consider if the same person could have succeeded with either of them.
But one reason AD was so successful in the AFL job was because he served an apprenticeship and played the game. Besides NRL is a crap code.

Do you know why that was the case? I'm too young to understand.
A number of factors. The game was plodding along with little pizazz/innovation at a time when Cricket was marketing itself quite boldly & riding high on the back of the popularity of ODIs.

Stadiums were rundown & not attractive to families who wanted a day at the footy in relative comfort (with the predominance of standing room, it was an unpleasant experience for children trying to watch the game). Minimal TV coverage meant the game wasn't reaching the market enough. The VFL was trying to overcome this somewhat with games televised live from Sydney, but this was not enough by itself.

The domination of premierships/finals by a handful of teams e.g. Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, through the '70s & into the early '80s had no doubt killed off interest for supporters of the less successful teams.

Failure of clubs to market themselves well. Little focus on memberships & inclusion of supporters in club activities.

Not enough penetration into schools. For much of my high school years (1975-1980) there was a poorly run competition for non-private schools & little involvement by clubs in their local areas.

There were other factors, but this is a bit of a snapshot. The improvement/rationalisation of stadiums, the investment in Auskick, better marketing, greater media coverage etc are a stark contrast to where the game was at in the '80s. Credit should go to both Wayne Jackson & Andrew Demetriou for taking the AFL in the right direction & also for capitalising on Rugby League shooting itself in the foot in the '90s with the Super League split. They were the right people to drive home the advantage gained from this faux pas by Rugby League.

How awesome would the AFL consider it if they only had two teams per city but still raked in the same cash and attendances? I truly believe that has been considered as a goal. The only reason they stopped killing teams is because the fans struck back.

The vic clubs think there was bias against them, the interstate clubs think there was bias against them. The truth is in the middle. He pushed expansion and with new sponsorship and tv dollars was able to build more grounds in new areas. Creating a larger junior base. He has also handed out allot of money to vic clubs to save them from going to the wall. Wasnt it the prev ceo's who were getting rid of vic clubs? So he has done a great job.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Credit should go to both Wayne Jackson & Andrew Demetriou for taking the AFL in the right direction & also for capitalising on Rugby League shooting itself in the foot in the '90s with the Super League split. They were the right people to drive home the advantage gained from this faux pas by Rugby League.
Or were they just the people in the drivers seat during those events? The assumption nobody else could have achieved as good a result is hard to support.

We can't really know how much damage the attempt to move North Melbourne set the game back, and whether anyone else would have tried it.

Or were they just the people in the drivers seat during those events? The assumption nobody else could have achieved as good a result is hard to support.

We can't really know how much damage the attempt to move North Melbourne set the game back, and whether anyone else would have tried it.

Without evidence to support the counter proposition, though - that a baboon could run the AFL and we'd still be in the same position - you surely have to apportion much of the credit to Demetriou, even if not all of it.

The things that make his reign successful are the same things lots of fans don't like him for. Lots of money = gouging fans, schmoozing sponsors including gambling companies and signing rights to expensive providers. Great crowds at games = ground rationalisations and big comfy soulless stadia. Managing issues much better than the NRL and other leagues = doing dodgy deals and barefaced lying as needed to manage the brand. Having a call on young talent = responding seriously to health and safety issues.

I find it hard to forgive the campaign to kill my club. And I don't like a lot of what the footy industry has become. But I can see that it's a tradeoff - my family pays more to follow footy each year, but I can watch my club now without fearing for them constantly - so it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge that he's walked the tightrope with some skill. On balance, in the end, he was prepared to listen and adapt and he achieved a lot of good things while not actually destroying any clubs, which puts him well ahead of his predecessor in my book. I don't particularly care for his style, but he's been pretty effective at what the Commission has charged him to do. The next CEO has big shoes to fill.

Without evidence to support the counter proposition, though - that a baboon could run the AFL and we'd still be in the same position - you surely have to apportion much of the credit to Demetriou, even if not all of it.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying luck and external forces have more of a role to play than we think.

Any one of a number of people - even people we don't know about - could have done it. Some better, some worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back