Preview AFL Reboot 2020 - football to resume June 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be watching the North games and to be honest in the 2nd half in rd 1, I barely noticed there was no crowd.

The neutral games were just cold. I found them unwatchable.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Agreed. I remember thinking, especially Hall's goal really deserved a crowd reaction, shame it wasn't to be.

If any North player refused to play then I want them named and marched out of Arden Street.

We don't agree on lots of things, but we're in sync on this; I grew up in Sydney in the 60s and 70s - rugby league and union teams would do their international tours for months at time, no partners or families, no complaints (same with cricket I guess). Ok, so it's not 1975 any more, but really, we can't do this hub thing for a couple of months for a once-in-a-lifetime event?

Sorry to break NMFC rank, but I can understand players being upset about not being with their families for 20+ weeks.

Yes some athletes in other sports do it but it's not the norm and while it's easy enough for a 19yo with no encumbrances to see it as a holiday camp, the 30yo hands on dad with a brood of demanding sprogs is going to leave a fair bit to their other half to manage one out for half a year, let alone missing them on top of that.

I'll see myself out the powderpuff door.

Its what, 10 Weeks at the min? By then we should have eased some travel restrictions or hey can bring in families after 8 Weeks (Assuming a 2 week buildup in the hub area as to comply with state restrictions)

Should not be as bad as they are complaining about, I cannot see them being in the hub for that long without some sort of access to their families maybe towards the finals

And does that mean Collingwood and Richmond have to travel? Maybe that's what they are getting upset about?

Sorry to break NMFC rank, but I can understand players being upset about not being with their families for 20+ weeks.

Yes some athletes in other sports do it but it's not the norm and while it's easy enough for a 19yo with no encumbrances to see it as a holiday camp, the 30yo hands on dad with a brood of demanding sprogs is going to leave a fair bit to their other half to manage one out for half a year, let alone missing them on top of that.

I'll see myself out the powderpuff door.
1588140318196.png

For North I'd wrestle with alligators,
tussle with a whale.
Handcuff lightning,
and throw thunder in jail.
During quarantine I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalised a brick.
I'm so mean, I make Covid19 sick!

At North, when one of us goes to war, WE ALL GO TO WAR!

We don't agree on lots of things, but we're in sync on this; I grew up in Sydney in the 60s and 70s - rugby league and union teams would do their international tours for months at time, no partners or families, no complaints (same with cricket I guess). Ok, so it's not 1975 any more, but really, we can't do this hub thing for a couple of months for a once-in-a-lifetime event?

Might be Jed Anderson and Goldy who both have kids under two months old.

If any North player refused to play then I want them named and marched out of Arden Street.
I have no issues if the player has a baby due in the next month, or if they have just become a father, also, if there are medical reasons (perhaps a parents poor health) keeping them from spending 20 weeks in Hub. Naming and Shaming may be unfair.

Bingo.

Being asked to do what athletes of world sports do on a yearly basis.

Stay home with your family and forfeit your pay or HTFU.

They didn’t sign up to be a world sportsman, they signed up to be an Australian sportsman and go home to their family at night 90% of the time.

Personally I am away for work on the odd night here and there, but if someone told me to leave my family for months, I would tell them to f**k off.

This is the thing, they have all jumped on the front foot about pay cuts, and now this?!!!

Meanwhile, it's the battlers in the AFL industry who have taken the brunt of the pandemic without barely a murmur of complaint.

I want them named and shamed. Every single one of them.

I would be interested to know what pay cuts Gill and his colleagues have taken.
I’m sure as hell they won’t be staying in a hub for months on end.
It’s easy not to complain when you paint yourself as the victim through the media, which Gill does so well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn’t sign up to be a world sportsman, they signed up to be an Australian sportsman and go home to their family at night 90% of the time.

Personally I am away for work on the odd night here and there, but if someone told me to leave my family for months, I would tell them to f**k off.

I would be interested to know what pay cuts Gill and his colleagues have taken.
I’m sure as hell they won’t be staying in a hub for months on end.
It’s easy not to complain when you paint yourself as the victim through the media, which Gill does so well.

And you would be well within your right to quit but forgo your pay.

To be perfectly honest, how did the players think the season was going to resume as normal?

I'm with you snake, these guys are bloody soft. No play no pay I read, great idea.

I posted that under the belief that there's not a single player on our list that would refuse duty.

On the contrary, my belief is that they are all chomping at the bit, as would be most players.

IMO, this emanates from a privileged few in relative high power.

They've had weeks to get used to the idea, and more weeks now to start planning for it. Clubs or the AFL will no doubt put in place additional support for families, be it in support for their mental health, or to help with baby-sitting, etc.

They work in a very tenuous industry where your career could be over at any time. Our draftees - 18 year old kids - used to be in Utah a week after they were drafted, some of those kids have to move interstate with literally a week's notice. It's part of the deal.

It's not going to be easy, no-one is saying that, but everyone else is dealing with exceptional circumstances, and for footballers to crack the shits is disappointing.

Look, it's once. This will never happen again. One disrupted year in your life. Make it happen, Euge.
Yep, that's in a nutshell

I posted that under the belief that there's not a single player on our list that would refuse duty.

On the contrary, my belief is that they are all chomping at the bit, as would be most players.

IMO, this emanates from a privileged few in relative high power.
It's a very bad look for the game, to many over privileged pussy's . Let's get it out there North are up for it.

And you would be well within your right to quit but forgo your pay.

To be perfectly honest, how did the players think the season was going to resume as normal?

They probably thought common sense would prevail and it would get canned.
At the very least they would have hoped everything returned to some normality, like everyone else returning to the workforce.

They probably thought common sense would prevail and it would get canned.
At the very least they would have hoped everything returned to some normality, like everyone else returning to the workforce.

For the amount they're getting paid it's a sacrifice but not an extreme sacrifice.

No-one is begrudging them not loving it, but threating to stand down as the first response is petulant and borderline disrespectful to club stuff that may have the opportunity to work again.

Reckon the club staff like physios and runners will be able to bring their families at no cost?

AFL are almost as bad as some members of the AFLPA that did no forward thinking whatsoever on this.

For the amount they're getting paid it's a sacrifice but not an extreme sacrifice.

No-one is begrudging them not loving it, but threating to stand down as the first response is petulant and borderline disrespectful to club stuff that may have the opportunity to work again.

Reckon the club staff like physios and runners will be able to bring their families at no cost?

AFL are almost as bad as some members of the AFLPA that did no forward thinking whatsoever on this.

There shouldn’t be a monetary value that dictates what people should or shouldn’t do.
People have values and morals and they shouldn’t be pressured into anything like this. Not for club staff, fans, nothing. Anyone with a young family would or should understand that.
Some of the comments on here that they need to “harden up” or “be called out” are selfish and pathetic. They’re free to make whatever choice they like without being ridiculed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back