Preview AFL Round 2 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, 3:10PM Monday 9 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: Can we talk about the Hawthorn game now?

Given the emergence of youth within our system, I really hope that Hawthorn puts out its best side and are not hampered with silly suspensions.

Would love to put the Mack-Truck up against Franklin and we could really start to see what the likes of Gillies (possibly) and Guthrie are made of.

I hope the Big O keeps his spot so we can see what he and West can do in tandom. Like the idea of West having freedom to float through the forward line.

Given the emergence of youth within our system, I really hope that Hawthorn puts out its best side and are not hampered with silly suspensions.

Would love to put the Mack-Truck up against Franklin and we could really start to see what the likes of Gillies (possibly) and Guthrie are made of.

I hope the Big O keeps his spot so we can see what he and West can do in tandom. Like the idea of West having freedom to float through the forward line.

Is this to harsh Gaz, if Gillies becomes a regular this year where ****ed,I could tone down the language for those who are sensitive but it would diminish it a lot.

It's Franklin mate ;)
He's the AFL's poster boy and their main drawing card, I highly doubt something like that would even get looked at.

Would take an incident like Scarlett's to even have him noticed I'm afraid.

Mate i know you're geelong supporter and all but to say that Franklin get special treatment from the panel is beyond ridiculous.

Suicide is a good hobby mate but I wouldn't do it for a living. Gillies struggles to consistently beat VFL forwards week in, week out. Do not want him anywhere near one of the two best forward lines in league on current form, particularly when Lonergan and Taylor are available.

Only change assuming no suspensions should be Hunt in for Scarlett.

Don't want to worry any Hawks fans but Buddy's sling tackle on Friday night had a bit of the Josh Hunts about it.Opposition players head and shoulder slammed into the turf requiring him to leave the ground for treatment.

Not quite his arms weren't pinned and the player played the game out and the injury sustained from the tackle was to the shoulders not the head

Not quite his arms weren't pinned and the player played the game out and the injury sustained from the tackle was to the shoulders not the head

In Hunt case there was no injury,it's a chook raffle in there,for what it worth I don't really think it will be looked at,unless there are similar infringements bought up for review.

In Hunt case there was no injury,it's a chook raffle in there,for what it worth I don't really think it will be looked at,unless there are similar infringements bought up for review.
This is not far from the truth :thumbsu:

This is not far from the truth :thumbsu:

The funny thing is the point system will probable work in Scarletts favor this week,rounding out to about 3 weeks may be 4 if he has carry over points ,where as under the old system for striking he would have been more likely to get 5or6.

The funny thing is the point system will probable work in Scarletts favor this week,rounding out to about 3 weeks may be 4 if he has carry over points ,where as under the old system for striking he would have been more likely to get 5or6.

To be honest i haven't seen geelong this wound up on field for quite a while. The game was a great spectacle in more ways than one

Im not really fussed if we lose to Hawthorn . I liked what i saw last night apart from losing narrowly . What i thought was a positive was the blokes pushing 28 29 30 years of age ie Kelly Johnson and Enright etc dont look to have slowed down at all -plenty of good football left in them -a bit like diesel motors -there just going to go for ever.

I watched bits and pieces of most of the other games and i think the Status Quo has stayed pretty much the same -the good sides are still good -the average ones are still average and the Shockers ie Melbourne are still shocking

I couldnt give a rats arse even if we finish 7th or 8th -because with the talent the team has got it could still win the flag from there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Scarlett that big a loss when against the Hawks?

Recently we seem to have gone with the Lonergan/Taylor match up anyhow. Obviously Scarlett is important, but I dont consider him to be our best defender anymore, especially when it comes to matching up on Franklin. Heck, Mackie has done a decent job on him in the past as well. For this particular game though, I would much rather have lost Scarlett then Say Taylor.

Given the recent close results between the two teams and with Scarlo missing and Hawthorn on song I'm tipping a draw. ;)

thats a bit out of line. he is a long term, passionate cats supporter. just cause he falls on the 'pessimist' side of things doesnt warrant that.

Pessimism is one thing, but my point still stands. To support a team is to, well, support them. Not kick them when they're down. I find it unfair to still be hard on Hawkins when he has come so far.

Not to mention criticising our captain for not being a goal kicker?

Suicide is a good hobby mate but I wouldn't do it for a living. Gillies struggles to consistently beat VFL forwards week in, week out. Do not want him anywhere near one of the two best forward lines in league on current form, particularly when Lonergan and Taylor are available.

Only change assuming no suspensions should be Hunt in for Scarlett.

I agree, the only problem with that is if the Hawks try and force our hand by bringing Roughead in.

Lonergan gets Franklin obviously, Taylor gets Hale and someone like Mackie on Gunston, if there's Roughead as well to cover all of a sudden we have to think about whether we need an extra tall.

I still wouldn't play Gillies though, I agree with your assessment on him at the moment.

I agree, the only problem with that is if the Hawks try and force our hand by bringing Roughead in.

Lonergan gets Franklin obviously, Taylor gets Hale and someone like Mackie on Gunston, if there's Roughead as well to cover all of a sudden we have to think about whether we need an extra tall.

I still wouldn't play Gillies though, I agree with your assessment on him at the moment.

That's why I think we may go with the extra tall forward in Mitch Brown, forcing them to drop an extra tall back, most likely Roughead.

Pessimism is one thing, but my point still stands. To support a team is to, well, support them. Not kick them when they're down. I find it unfair to still be hard on Hawkins when he has come so far.

Not to mention criticising our captain for not being a goal kicker?

selwood is an awesome captain and player, but he probably does need to work on his goal kicking...

you can support a team, and still find weaknesses and areas for improvement. we are not currently at our peak, dont need to be a 'supporter' to know that.

also, VEEDUBS is hardly kicking them while theyre down. reigning premiers, lost by 4 points rd 1. i think they will be up against it to be hawthorn on monday, too.

look, he can defend himself, i just get a bit sick of people assuming every cats supporter has to be an optimist and overly confident every game. let him 'support' in his own way. cause he is a supporter.

EDIT: he also said hawkins is a great talent, and if he kicks straight, he will be a threat to them. thats true.

i just dont want to see us turning on our own after a rd 1 loss.

That's why I think we may go with the extra tall forward in Mitch Brown, forcing them to drop an extra tall back, most likely Roughead.

Possible.

On that topic I think Hawthorn's key defenders are their achilles heel, if we can isolate Pods and Hawkins I think they can do a fair bit of damage.

Always a positive Cat you are. Blind faith is a little unfair. No one is going to have an easy game at Paterson's this year against either team, and I'd even go as far to say that we'll have put in the best performance of a non-home team this year when it comes to the end of it.

I can't believe you still go on about the Ablett factor despite beating Hawthorn 3 times in 2011.

Also how can you suggest we aren't on cue, yet at this stage last year we are adapting to a new coach and game plan yet still beat them? I appreciate the impact that Ottens has but everyone makes it seem as though without Ottens we simply have no ruckman: not true. Did you happen to see West last night? He more than holds his own.

Geelong hold a fear factor of being the reigning premiers, having won 3 premierships in 5 years and a commanding winning streak over Hawthorn and Hawthorn, like a lot of teams, can crumble under pressure when the Cats get on the run.

Your comments regarding the players are all stupidly harsh too and quite frankly, like has been suggested many times in the past, you are one hell of a shithouse supporter. In fact, you cannot even claim to be a supporter, given you lack the critical support for the team. Hawkins? If he plays as he did last night he has more than done what he needs to against the Hawks. Chappy looked better for the start of the year and loves to play the mayblooms. SJ always an iffy player? He has his moments but always? And finally to suggest Selwood has to be damaging on the scoreboard is to be very naive regarding his entire career thus far, he has never been damaging on the scoreboard.

Your points are good EXCEPT for Hawkins, SJ, Selwood. Maybe you didn't read properly, or you are too riled, but I nominated Hawkins as our #1 player as far as fear factor for Hawthorn, specially if he kicks accurately. I have never been critical of individual players, care to check all my posts, and never will, but what I said about SJ is true, you have to accept there's going to be brilliance mixed with moments of stupidity and frustration. Selwood is super courageous, and again I named him as a player they will fear, but he is no X factor, which we will need.

You are correct about my support being shithouse if it is based on having to think we are always going to win. I base my SUPPORT as well by buying memberships each year for the past 15 years for 5 members of my family, in cluding myself, and attending all Victorian games unless work prevents me.

If what I write incites other viewpoints as to why we could get up this week, great, that's what we're here for. But nothing you've said makes me think we have the team this week to get up. As I have said, and others too, I think we will be better once our X factors are back, and the season drags on. We could still be there a bouts in September.

BTW, are you a fully paid up supporting member and attend games? I have caught up with several people on BF at games. Better way to exchange levels of support.

Why not accept that some people express their feelings about our team almost always thinking we will win. I envy that. A minority like me need help.

Possible.

On that topic I think Hawthorn's key defenders are their achilles heel, if we can isolate Pods and Hawkins I think they can do a fair bit of damage.[/quote]

After the events of this weekend I think they will have to,we will probable need 7 or 8 goal combined out of them to be in the game.

no way ypo, I reckon we'd only need 5 goals between them because you'll find Stevie J, Stokes, Chappy, Bartel, Duncan and Christensen will all chip in for their goal each and I'm already penciling in Johnson to boot 3 after his poor start.

We got too many forward options as opposed to them down the other end.

The Hawks are up and about I feel we will need to kick 20 goals to win it.

20 goals against our defense?

Not gonna happen ;)

They will be very lucky to kick 16 and that's the same for us.
Collingwood were missing Maxwell, Tarrant (Davis, gone yes) and Johnson.
That's 3 main defenders.

We will have a relatively stronger defense (although slightly rusty) and I am certain they won't be kicking 20 goals.

If they are able to kick 20 goals on two of the best defensive units in 2011 on consecutive occasions, I'd be very worried they are going to burn out at the wrong time of the year if I were a Hawthorn supporter.

I can see you are pretty confident about your side and who can blame you i was the same in the 80s. However if we do kick 20 goals against you that particular effort will have no bearing on what happens later in the season. Hawthorn are up and about early for good reason. We have a tough first five weeks if we are 4 and 1 or 3 and 2 after it we would be happy given our draw after that (of course i am hoping for 5 -0). The start to the year will hopefully give us enough wins to start resting players mid to late year to get them cherry ripe for the business end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back