Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1810225View attachment 1810226

Ralph’s replies on X this morning suggesting the Shiel stuff is in play.

Shiel is basically the only fitness fanatic we have on the list. An absolute pro in this regard, he may even spend too much time in the gym.

He's also the only one of our vaunted midfield guns who's a hardball player (albeit that's not his strength).

Can I say I am thrilled with our management decisions that have us at the point that he'll be the one to go. Magnificent stuff.

Now let's use our first pick on the physically weakest, most outside midifled option to bring the end of the Dodoro era to a fitting conclusion.

Is he actually though? Or is he just just an inside bull languishing out on a wing?

I don't watch enough Poort games to know or care, but still. Cripps has been cooked about 6 times and Coniglio's career finished a couple years ago, so you never know.
Wines knee is cooked. Can’t see him playing at a high level for many more years. He wasn’t exactly high level this season

Yes, like I said, it almost happened, would have required Daniher not being bid on and then Wines sliding just that little bit further. I recall there being quite the furore over Port leaving hometown boys Mayes and Menzel on the table at that pick.

We’d be swapping a 30 year old gun inside midfielder that’s been phased out onto a forward flank for a 28 year old inside midfielder that’s been phased out onto a forward flank.
I’d take him over Sheil. If the price was cheap enough.

Shiel is basically the only fitness fanatic we have on the list. An absolute pro in this regard, he may even spend too much time in the gym.

He's also the only one of our vaunted midfield guns who's a hardball player (albeit that's not his strength).

Can I say I am thrilled with our management decisions that have us at the point that he'll be the one to go. Magnificent stuff.

Now let's use our first pick on the physically weakest, most outside midifled option to bring the end of the Dodoro era to a fitting conclusion.

I can’t say I’d be rapt at the idea of trading him. It would want to be a very good deal.

Talk of this manoeuvring to get Jade Gresham leaves me decidedly flaccid.

I’d take him over Sheil. If the price was cheap enough.

If it was cost neutral swap, so would I.

Although I will say that the strengths of both of them are contested ball churn so if we see that as a need Shiel could also fill that need, and we already have him.

Similar story to Gresham actually, Gresham would in theory occupy that half forward flank role and provided we can get Shiel fit next year I'm not convinced he does it better than Shiel would, he'll hit the scoreboard more but it robs us of another genuine inside mid rotation.

I remain unconvinced that clearing Shiel is any form of 'addition by subtraction'.

There will be no hard inside midfielders in our first pick range by the looks of it . Maybe we should be trading out .

View attachment 1810225View attachment 1810226

Ralph’s replies on X this morning suggesting the Shiel stuff is in play.
Not sure i believe Ralph has made calls and spoken to the people that would know if Shiel was requesting a trade. I feel like he's generating conversation as he's noticed that if everyone is fit, we have a logjam of similar types in the midfield. When trying to make a balanced 23 I can only fit 1 of Perkins/Stringer in the forward line and i have Tsatas in the VFL. The bench also has 3 midfielders (Hobbs, Caldwell, Shiel) on it which is not ideal. Id probably prefer to move one of them to the VFL too. Its the reason i was happy to let Parish walk and would probably let Shiel go if he requested it.

12=13, and Shiel isn't worth a 2nd rounder, Saints also lose Gresham for nothing.
Saints don’t get pick 13 unless Essendon create it out of thin air. So those assets aren’t equal because one only exists if Essendon creates it with its cap space.

That it’s unbalanced is why Essendon is paying Sheils contract. That makes him worth a 2nd round pick

Would take Wines in a heartbeat but daresay it'll be a steep price. Getting Shiel off the books would become more of a priority.
The bloke has been pushed down the pecking order at Port with Butters & Rozee and also JHF getting more game time, they're now the golden children, hence his decline in form. Would dare say he hasn't really liked that given he appears to be an ultra professional but just does the team thing. I think if he goes somewhere else you'd see his form pick up again. Maybe a change of scenery could be good for him too, something a little new. Would absolutely take him too! Would probably cost us what, a first rounder and maybe something else a little lower pick wise?? Given he won a brownlow not too long ago and it's not like his body is bad either.

Could benefit Port given they have a bunch of players they want to bring in this trade period too and they have little to no trade capital, they're gonna need to ship players around.

Moving the list forward is just about getting a volume of young players and hoping they work out.

Swapping Sheil for a top 20 pick doesn’t make the team better short term but it does create the chance that the team will be better in 3 years time
We won't be getting a top 20 pick. We'd be getting somewhere in the mid to late second round if we paid some of his salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep Shiel and take the 1st round compensation for Darcy, would've been a better play IMO.

But we move!
signing Parish has opened our horizons

Gresham, McKay, Goldstein via FA without worrying about impact
Opens up potential trade of Shiel for something

In yet another example of the changing landscape, Brennan Cox has signed a 6 year contract extension.

That's your seat at the table if you even want a look in at someone like McKay

signing Parish has opened our horizons

Gresham, McKay, Goldstein via FA without worrying about impact
Opens up potential trade of Shiel for something
That's true, I guess I'm not attached to any of these FA, I'm more than happy to keep exploring our current list, especially if that results in a better draft position in 2024.

Last year we had pick 4 and before the draft we were offered 3 1sts round picks for it, if we have 3 seasons in a row of top 3 picks who knows what that could be turned into. Teams are coming hard for the Suns pick 4, good offers are coming for them.

If you held a top 3 pick in 2024, 2025 and 2026 that could potentially net you 8-12 picks under 20-25, if the right player was available, that's how you rebuild.

Last edited:
We won't be getting a top 20 pick. We'd be getting somewhere in the mid to late second round if we paid some of his salary.
I agree with that.

But what probably doesn't make sense is why we would over pay for Gresham just to create a band 1 pick for them and have no ral benefit out of it The saints would be the big winners out of that trade if we were to pay a decent part of his salary for next year

Gresham at the most would be band 2, or band 3 which really has him top to mid 2nd round.

I've got no doubt the Saints would want to keep pick 13 is this kinda deal was legit. I just don't see the benefit to us

In yet another example of the changing landscape, Brennan Cox has signed a 6 year contract extension.

That's your seat at the table if you even want a look in at someone like McKay
Re-signing Parish for only 5 looks a minor miracle at the moment.

The going rate for Key Defenders is insane at the moment. Hawkes offered 7 years for Ratugolea...

Re-signing Parish for only 5 looks a minor miracle at the moment.

The going rate for Key Defenders is insane at the moment. Hawkes offered 7 years for Ratugolea...

Hopefully we haven't offered McKay 7 years.

Apparently Rama on RSN this morning re McKay
Ben hasn't made a decision
There are no knee concerns
Expects a call within the next few days

Edit
Hawks and our offer pretty similar
And we have spongy floors and the Dodo "father figure" (for now)

IF we were able to buy pick 13 for Gresham , and package it for pick 4 with pick 8, it would be a miracle. Pick Watson or Z. Duursma. Probably Watson. We need an elite small forward, we have enough 186-192 flankers with high ceilings. Watson will be a jet and gives some much needed X factor to our team.

BZT + F3 for X. Duursma or something like that

IN: McKay, Gresham, X. Duursma, Watson (Pick 4), Goldstein
Out: BZT, Shiel, F3, 27

That would be a pretty great draft and trade period.
  • Adressed key positional needs in Goldy, McKay and Watson, whilst adding experience.
  • Get some players who will instantly make our team better (Gresham -> Snelling), (Duursma to compete with hind, Kelly, Heppell for the halfback/ wing role, is shown to have talent despite dropping off a bit lately) If we could manage to get Sinn for BZT + 27, that would be incredible, but seems like a pipe dream.
  • Free up midfield time for Tstas, Hobbs, Perkins, Caldwell, Setterfield
-Making good use of our cap space. The only real advantage we have in this trade period, in a market that seems pretty bleak.

Pls get it done dodo

Gee the hawks board is truly great viewing.
People claiming they are “ITK”’s just playing a game of Russian roulette and got everyone else is sitting on the edge of their seat with anxiety for the last week.

“I’ve got good news, waiting to confirm”

“Damn, think we’ve missed out”

“Hold the phone, we’re back in the game!”

“He’s told us that he’s coming to the hawks”

“Looks like the dons have beaten us.”

“Good news incoming”

Everyone just melting at every single update, has been some quality viewing.
Whatever does happens, I’ve had plenty of fun watching the poo and wees eat each other alive.

People claiming they are “ITK”’s just playing a game of Russian roulette and got everyone else is sitting on the edge of their seat with anxiety for the last week.

“Good news incoming”

Whatever does happens, I’ve had plenty of fun watching the poo and wees eat each other alive.
If that is your idea of great viewing you need help :p:D

“Good news incoming”

Feels like Shiel all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back