Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got it all done without compromising next year at all really. We’ve got our first, our second and Collingwood’s 4th.

Our 4th this year, our 4th next year and Carlton’s 4th next year all went over to Port for Duursma but we get 61 back for Massimo.

I reckon we’ve got an eye on trading up on draft night.

Got it all done without compromising next year at all really. We’ve got our first, our second and Collingwood’s 4th.

Our 4th this year, our 4th next year and Carlton’s 4th next year all went over to Port for Duursma but we get 61 back for Massimo.

I reckon we’ve got an eye on trading up on draft night.
we also got Collingwood's F4 as part of the Massimo deal.

The kind of sensible stable off-season you don’t really expect from Essendon.

Lost a bunch Zerk + VFL level players (although that’s harsh to Flip)

Got back 4 AFL level players which will turn over 10-20% of the best 22.

Adding 1 FRP and 1-2 picks in the 40s to the AFL/VFL list to add depth and competition is just good smart sensible list management.

How many list spots do we have?

That pick 61 will likely drop into low 50's as about 14 picks should dissolve for the 6 academy/father son players.
just working out now, the (current) points value of 31 & 35 is 1,128, equivalent to pick 14/15

Gold Coast or Dogs should be right in the eyes for us.

Net Change in trade week
In:
Duursma
Mckay (BZT upgrade)
Gresham (Snelling/Guelfi upgrade)
Goldstein (Phillips upgrade)
Pick 35

Out:
BZerk
Massimo
Future 3rd
Pick 52 downgraded to 61

We’ve basically upgraded Zerk-Thatcher with someone who has a proven track record against the monster key forwards (rather than zerk who had 8 kicked on him by hawkins and 9 by hogan), AND gotten a highly talented wingman who can only make us better. I reckon he’ll be a great acquisition but if he doesn’t, it’s worth the very low risk! He’ll be better than anyone we’d be able to select for a pick in the late 30s which is what i reckon we would’ve gotten for him anyways.

Real shame to see massimo go, I hope he does well at hawkes. it’ll be a Houli 2.0, hopefully minus the flags. Gresham automatically makes our forward line better, upgrades on guelfi, snelling and the likes. Can also run through the middle when needed which gives us more depth and dynamism which is never a bad thing. Goldstein is a helluva lot better than phillips, smarter player, better ruckman, all round huge improvement. He may only be with us for a year or two but he’ll help us win games and i’m sure he’ll have a huge impact on draper and bryan in the future. No better ruckman to learn off not only for rick craft but also how to take care of your body as a big man.

Great period. I think Adrian has been an excellent servant of our football club. Has always tried to get the best deal for our club, which is a lot better than pissants like craig cameron letting elijah hollands go for a 3rd round pick. People get hung up on the daniher trade, whilst yes in hindsight we should’ve taken the deal, I was in full support of trying to keep daniher. He is a generational talent in a position that is extremely hard to find players of his calibre. Father son, boyhood fan, and we structured our team around him, which is fair enough considering he came off a 60+ goal AA season. The player sydney ended up picking us now at norf for a packet of chips. Dodoro also didn’t budge on the dunkley deal and now we have 3 stars in the making hopefully next year will show some improvement from them all.

Thanks for your service adrian

Just looking at Gold Coasts hand. I think there is a massive chance they go into decent deficit. Walter is likely getting that pick 2 bid, If Read cops a pick 5 bid they are near wiped with two players to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at Gold Coasts hand. I think there is a massive chance they go into decent deficit. Walter is likely getting that pick 2 bid, If Read cops a pick 5 bid they are near wiped with two players to come.
Unless they trade 24 for our two second rounders ;)

Think we did okay.
McKay is the one who has to fulfill the potential . If he does we will be a better side.
The rest will improve us but we still need to get something from the draft and will need to land something big next year.
Should give us enough depth to be around the same mark again next year.
Yes, we might have only re arranged the deck chairs but we've got a bigger umbrella and we're closer to the pool. Definitely a marginally better list with a slightly tougher fixture in 2024. Don't think the sides below us this year look to be significantly stronger but not sure we will close the gap on any of those above. North's access to so much elite talent in last year and this year's draft should see them have most scope for improvement but probably not before 2025.
I don't wish to bottom out per se but unless we fluke it with a mid range draft pick, it's hard to see how else than we get that desperately needed game changing elite talent/natural leader.

Very good period all up. Happy with our haul, we’ve improved our depth and addressed some needs. If we can trade up with our two picks in the 30s I’ll be very happy.

They can always go into deficit (their future first) or trade back in using the bulldog F1 or North compo pick (currently P20)...maybe we should target one of those picks??
I would think they just go into deficit and keep those other picks.

How many list spots do they have available? They have about ten picks but I thought the rule was you can only go in with the same number of list spots and draft picks.

They can always go into deficit (their future first) or trade back in using the bulldog F1 or North compo pick (currently P20)...maybe we should target one of those picks??
I would think they just go into deficit and keep those other picks.

How many list spots do they have available? They have about ten picks but I thought the rule was you can only go in with the same number of list spots and draft picks.

That is the rule, but once the draft starts you can have infinity picks. So hypothetically if you have trades preplanned you can split picks for more picks during the draft once it starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back