Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes to McCluggage, makes our midfield one of the best in the comp. Talk about a genuine wingman who, kicks goals, is an elite kick, runs both ways. The fact that he'd be a free agent too makes it a no brainer. Considering that he'd likely play on a wing, it compliments Durham, Hobbs, Tsatas, Setterfield, Calders, Parish, Perkins. Type of player who genuinely lifts us into "contender" bracket, and then we don't need to recruit any more mids for the next few years, just plug in the holes with General Forwards and Defenders.
LDU... not so much. Yes he is quality, and yes, he will make us a better team next year. But by how much? He'd just be taking minutes off Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs and Tsatas development, when we already potentially have that type of player in Tsatas, Perk and Duz. Plus, we are #1 in the league for centre bounce clearances. Why spend the money and the draft capital at something that doesn't need so much improvement, when we could use that money for an A+ wingman, Small fwd/def or even throw the kitchen sink at a gun key FWD (even then, jones and caddy's development is exciting and to a lesser extent hunter and cox).
Perk and Tsatas, dont have the speed, explosivness, agility and ball winning ability of LDU, Tsatas is also fine as a wingman

Durham cant find the footy as much as LDU and is more a defensive type whereas LDU is completely different

Perk and Tsatas, dont have the speed, explosivness, agility and ball winning ability of LDU, Tsatas is also fine as a wingman

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

If none of our salaries increase in alignemnet with the salary cap then there is atleast 2 mill on the table as the cap increases by 2 mill from 2024 to 2025

Then if we were 5% under we can be 5% over the followng year? I believe

So if we did 14.9 mill for 2024

Then we can do 18.6 Mill in 2025 (Which is a 3.7 mill open cap room)

McCluggage feels like a massive swing for the fence.

Next to no chance you get him in the door without playing a huge sum for a lot of years so you better be sure because he’s probably the difference between us having a lot of cap flexibility and being quite locked in.

LDU a better option than McCluggage but I’m not sure we need to break ourselves to get one or the other.

i’ll butcher his name, but C. Jiath (from hawthorn) is something that i’d be reasonably interested in acquiring. has pace, talent & a high skill ceiling which as a running defender is very important. i think his contracts up this year & id be very interested in seeing what we’d offer someone like him.

very early stages, but i think he’s a genuine star at any other club

i’ll butcher his name, but C. Jiath (from hawthorn) is something that i’d be reasonably interested in acquiring. has pace, talent & a high skill ceiling which as a running defender is very important. i think his contracts up this year & id be very interested in seeing what we’d offer someone like him.

very early stages, but i think he’s a genuine star at any other club

Is made of tissue paper.

Next to no chance you get him in the door without playing a huge sum for a lot of years so you better be sure because he’s probably the difference between us having a lot of cap flexibility and being quite locked in.

LDU a better option than McCluggage but I’m not sure we need to break ourselves to get one or the other.
The difference though is that LDU will cost a good first rounder whereas McCluggage is a FA so won't cost anything.

It's really about what the club wants (or needs) to prioritise. Is it salary cap space and therefore taking the cheaper option in LDU or holding onto draft picks by taking the FA McCluggage.

Yes to McCluggage, makes our midfield one of the best in the comp. Talk about a genuine wingman who, kicks goals, is an elite kick, runs both ways. The fact that he'd be a free agent too makes it a no brainer. Considering that he'd likely play on a wing, it compliments Durham, Hobbs, Tsatas, Setterfield, Calders, Parish, Perkins. Type of player who genuinely lifts us into "contender" bracket, and then we don't need to recruit any more mids for the next few years, just plug in the holes with General Forwards and Defenders.
LDU... not so much. Yes he is quality, and yes, he will make us a better team next year. But by how much? He'd just be taking minutes off Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs and Tsatas development, when we already potentially have that type of player in Tsatas, Perk and Duz. Plus, we are #1 in the league for centre bounce clearances. Why spend the money and the draft capital at something that doesn't need so much improvement, when we could use that money for an A+ wingman, Small fwd/def or even throw the kitchen sink at a gun key FWD (even then, jones and caddy's development is exciting and to a lesser extent hunter and cox).
Totally agree. Those who want Martin forward of centre because of his ball use… well imagine being able to keep Martin in the back half because mccluggage is forward of centre. McClug, Martin, Durham, Perkins, Duursma and Tsatas. That is a fleet of hard running weapons.

The difference though is that LDU will cost a good first rounder whereas McCluggage is a FA so won't cost anything.

It's really about what the club wants (or needs) to prioritise. Is it salary cap space and therefore taking the cheaper option in LDU or holding onto draft picks by taking the FA McCluggage.
Ldu will be a free agent…
All the talk is about what he does at the end of 2025.

Brad Scott on the news sounds like he's buttering us up to take in Thomas :sweatsmile:
Look I strongly believe that people can redeem themselves. I won't ever compromise on that.

However, do I want his redemption to be at Essendon or even AFL? No.

Scott may be inclined to give him a chance because he has a personal relationship with him, but how will the players feel? Can they truly support him and feel like he is one of their own? I doubt it.

There are certain things that will make it very difficult to regain lost respect and reputation. Good player and would've been a perfect fit talent-wise, but nah.

Ldu will be a free agent…
All the talk is about what he does at the end of 2025.
Well he is checked out this year and will probably request a trade at the end of the year before FA. North may cash in on it to gain much needed draft picks instead of holding him to his contract given the state of their list.

Brad Scott on the news sounds like he's buttering us up to take in Thomas :sweatsmile:
Just watched it.
Definitely went past shutting down as an option and deep into responsibility to support the player territory.
Can understand his position - as he said, he’s known Thomas since 14. Clearly a connection there.

Really hate to think it might happen.
Club needs to prioritise what’s right and protect culture over coach’s fatherly feelings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched it.
Definitely went past shutting down as an option and deep into responsibility to support the player territory.
Can understand his position - as he said, he’s known Thomas since 14. Clearly a connection there.

Really hate to think it might happen.
Club needs to prioritise what’s right and protect culture over coach’s fatherly feelings.
There is a responsibility to support the player, but it is reciprocal and in return the player has a responsibility to not be a *******. If he's unwilling to take even the smallest steps towards becoming a better person then the correct thing to do is let him rot in the wilderness.

No my proposal to play L.Hayes in this situation was to manage Heppell and avoid the flight to perth. Push a taller Cox to a wing whos been playing there a bit anyway

He doesnt like Lav, he dropped him at the start of the year. Kelly is shutting down players and Heppells actually exceeded expectations but he started last year quite well aswell from memory

I do think our work up the field is making our defenders look better which was always going to be the case compared to past season where we would lose stoppages and also not defend transition aswell

A heppell manage is not saying Scott doesnt like him and actually implies the alternative

Be good to be able to reward an in form L.Hayes and then if he out performs Lav or Lav, Mckay, Cox or Kelly get injured then there is potential for him to hold his spot for another week aswell

:think:

Played over a more in form Baldwin last year and now Hayes this year. Brad loves him

In 12 months i dont think LDU is going to cost that much less than Mcluggage that it moves the needle

Mcluggage would be 1.2 x 6 id say to get him

:think:

Played over a more in form Baldwin last year and now Hayes this year. Brad loves him

I should say maybe Brad loves him or doesnt but that doesnt impact his ability to drop him as hes done

Essendon are getting the job done and change isnt needed until that changes is very understandable

Kelly Defensive contenst loss is 57% this year

Laverdes is 25%

A bit up in the air though - there's a query over all of them bar McKay, really (Ridley obviously a gun if you count him as KPD) -

Laverde - has been really solid since he's moved to the backline, but in reality should probably be fringe now
Weideman - VFL level
Reid - 9 games of a possible 75-odd
Baldwin - 3 AFL games as a defender, with 4 as a forward (overall 7 AFL games of a possible 75-odd)
Hayes - 0 games

I'd definitely consider another KPF if the chance arose, I don't think we're set there at all.

Yep I’m more confident in our key backs than our key forwards for sure. Zach Reid I’m incredibly optimistic of from what I have seen, as long as he gets his body right. Baldwin should be a serviceable backup if we manage to hold onto him and who knows could force his way into the side eventually. Hayes is looking good early and is the ideal project player to develop in the VFL over the next few years. Laverde is the break glass in case of emergency that unfortunately we had to smash earlier than we’d have hoped for but hey he’s better than what most teams have in that scenario. Ideally you want Ridley as the third tall but yes he can also play tall if required. The key thing here is injuries, not talent, that is holding them back.

It probably goes to show how good our stocks are that we are missing 3 potentially starting 22 key defenders and we are still holding up alright down back.

Geebus, I just seen that on the telly box. Juxtaposed with the AFL mkaing a stance on violence against women, and Essendon players attending the funeral of Hannah McGuire.

"Known him since he was 14 and he's a great person" - Brad might know much more than us about the guy, but he's shanked that one big time IMO.

It would be ironic for Scott to put personal experience head of logic in relation to a possible recruitment of Thomas considering how Sheedy disrespected him in regards to going on radio post-vote due to his connection to Hird.

It would take a stronger club with a longer period of stability to take someone like him on and we are just not that yet. Move along.

LDU may, or he may be a free agent next year.

It's more a case that a million dollar player potentially moves the needle from us being a club that has almost unlimited resources to do whatever they need to do to retain and attract anyone to actually being squeezed a fair bit. Maybe even squeezed a lot given Perkins, Cox, Tsatas, Caddy, Jones, Hobber ect are all going to want more money as they progress to their 2nd or 3rd contracts.

Like, McKay is an enormous initial outlay but there are no consequences for us, it doesn't stop us retaining anyone or doing anything else because we've just got that much flexibility at the moment.

Not having to give up a pick makes it more palatable but it's something you probably only do if you're sure it takes you to the next level, lest you become St. Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back