Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

No I don’t think we should do that

In my opinion I think the spots are to important long term to consider using one with the idea that it could help your VFL program over time
I think in helping the VFL program I think you are helping the AFL program, but i appreciate not everyone shares this view.

I don't think it benefits our youngsters running around at clown college waiting for their opportunity with the only team the club takes seriously. I think we've seen the result of this over the past 20 years, where we scratch our heads at why players haven't developed.

And also, you get a closer look at the guys who you are considering. Baffles me how we go so close to selecting some but if it doesn't happen they disappear forever.

And while you don't get any rights to drafting the players, by making our VFL team a place where you are developing AFL level footballers, you surely increase your ability to develop AFL level footballers.

Last edited:
Be really interesting where the club now rates our window

Do we consider some mature age top up types that are OOC

M.Wood
Membrey

A Free agent like Ainsworth that your prepared to give a 5 year deal to?
Neither of those add anything to our best 22 and in Membrey's case at least we have players in the VFL who can't get a game, we don't need to add to that

What I'm suggesting is there will probably be those types of questions over anyone picked late first round of a mid season draft. So instead of upending someone from the SANFL or wherever, would promoting a guy from the VFL make our VFL side a more attractive destination this off season?

Say we take Hately in the off chance he is required. He probably gets used as a sub anyway. He might not end up being the next Menegola. But next year we might get 2 or 3 guys of that quality come to Essendon VFL as it is seen as a place you can get promoted from?

I like the thinking. Especially if we have pick 17 anyway

Be really interesting where the club now rates our window

Do we consider some mature age top up types that are OOC

M.Wood
Membrey

A Free agent like Ainsworth that your prepared to give a 5 year deal to?
No. I don’t think he’s a good enough small forward to give 5 years to
I think in helping the VFL program I think you are helping the AFL program, but i appreciate not everyone shares this view.

I don't think it benefits our youngsters running around at clown college waiting for their opportunity with the only team the club takes seriously. I think we've seen the result of this over the past 20 years, where we scratch our heads at why players haven't developed.

And also, you get a closer look at the guys who you are considering. Baffles me how we go so close to selecting some but if it doesn't happen they disappear forever.

And while you don't get any rights to drafting the players, by making our VFL team a place where you are developing AFL level footballers, you surely increase your ability to develop AFL level footballers.
Without knowing the ins and outs of our vfl program I’d say we need to put more money and effort into our recruitment and scouting of bush leagues. Richmond seem to do it well. There are 100s of vfl quality players in country and metro vic that don’t play vfl for multiple reasons. I think using a list spot to try and entice 2-3 guys to sign up isn’t a great idea. What if we don’t don’t sign anyone?

I’d rather the approach be to find a player who could potentially help us this season and play VFL without having to lock him into a contract next season if he isn’t good enough at our late pick. That or find the best kid we can and give them a chance to develop.

I get your point and don’t hate it, but I wouldn’t be doin it just to strengthen our vfl side when it has legitimately 0 guarantee of attracting more vfl players next season. Being second at this point in the season shouldn’t mean we throw away our list build plans and think we are in a better place. Keep building

Our "window" doesn't change.

When you take out Shiel, Heppell and Goldy (all of which are either done this year or the next) our average age and games played is 22.3 and 70.2, and that's including Stringer, Kelly, Laverde and Hind while excluding Roberts, Lual and Visentini.

Baby team.

The fact that we've put our focus on delivering effort each week and we've overachieved as a result does nothing to change that.

Our vision is for further down the road. What's happening now does not deviate that.

Last edited:
I like the thinking. Especially if we have pick 17 anyway
Have not looked in the last couple of weeks but I think there are 13 clubs with at least one pick.

No. I don’t think he’s a good enough small forward to give 5 years to

Without knowing the ins and outs of our vfl program I’d say we need to put more money and effort into our recruitment and scouting of bush leagues. Richmond seem to do it well. There are 100s of vfl quality players in country and metro vic that don’t play vfl for multiple reasons. I think using a list spot to try and entice 2-3 guys to sign up isn’t a great idea. What if we don’t don’t sign anyone?

I’d rather the approach be to find a player who could potentially help us this season and play VFL without having to lock him into a contract next season if he isn’t good enough at our late pick. That or find the best kid we can and give them a chance to develop.

I get your point and don’t hate it, but I wouldn’t be doin it just to strengthen our vfl side when it has legitimately 0 guarantee of attracting more vfl players next season. Being second at this point in the season shouldn’t mean we throw away our list build plans and think we are in a better place. Keep building

We've had pretty good success at getting decent players via the MSD and SSP avenues, so I'd say try to find the next Sam Durham or Nic Martin. Failing that, the next Will Snelling who can playing a useful role for 2 - 3 seasons.

Our "window" doesn't change.

It's a team many predicted to start 2-9 and fight for the bottom two.

The fact that we've put our focus on delivering effort each week and we've overachieved as a result does nothing to change that.

When you take out Shiel, Heppell and Goldy (all of which are either done this year or the next) our average age and games played is 22.3 and 70.2 respectively, and that's including Stringer, Kelly, Laverde and Hind while excluding Roberts, Lual and Visentini.

Our vision is for further down the road. What's happening now does not deviate that.
This, weve been seduced before into clutching at success before weve entered the conversation.

Back what we have and when the potential to winning finals comes then consider it. At the moment i am firmly in the lets not do camp as another elimination final loss wouldn’t be the end of the world, just goes to show we must build on what we have already

In regards to the mid season draft and what we ( I ) would consider, using examples from the Essendon VFL program

We pick a guy in a position that we dont trust we have already. Say Jackson Hartley is selected, it’d be because we dont trust Setterfield, Shiel to contribute later in the year. This can apply to younger players as well.

We pick in a position we desperately need to try and upgrade, someone like Oskar Smartt, seems like a really good fit for us but probably doesn’t make it. Would be a short term investment for long term gains as he could improve exponentially in a full time environment.

Or we go for a player we view as having AFL attributes and is in a position we don’t necessarily need but his attributes are too good to ignore. Someone like Cam Nyko.

Three different types of mid season options wed consider

It would be a hard thing to do, develop a VFL program to compete. Would love to study the back stories of how Werribee continually do so well from a VFL standpoint, how Box Hill, Geelong and Richmond go from an AFL standalone standpoint. They continually bring guys through who get drafted or are top liner VFL players (ok, maybe not Geelong so much but they compete every year it feels like).

Then you look at Coburg, Frankston (who have very little buy in from the local MPNFL) and other struggling stand alone. The VFL is a mess as a whole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a hard thing to do, develop a VFL program to compete. Would love to study the back stories of how Werribee continually do so well from a VFL standpoint, how Box Hill, Geelong and Richmond go from an AFL standalone standpoint. They continually bring guys through who get drafted or are top liner VFL players (ok, maybe not Geelong so much but they compete every year it feels like).

Then you look at Coburg, Frankston (who have very little buy in from the local MPNFL) and other struggling stand alone. The VFL is a mess as a whole
Geelong get good buy on from high level local clubs who are willing to let top players top up the VFL, or at least that's the way it was way back when I played. I found it surprising given the amount of player movements year to year, everyone just chasing coin - seemed at odds with that but it's what I observed (20 year ago). I guess it worked on a similar level, guys who wanted to play the highest standard they could attracted to a club that helped promote them to VFL.

As for Richmond and Box Hill, does players going there and getting drafted attract players who are good enough to go there and try to get drafted? Surely alternative pathway types look at how others achieved selection and try to replicate that?

Geelong get good buy on from high level local clubs who are willing to let top players top up the VFL, or at least that's the way it was way back when I played. I found it surprising given the amount of player movements year to year, everyone just chasing coin - seemed at odds with that but it's what I observed (20 year ago). I guess it worked on a similar level, guys who wanted to play the highest standard they could attracted to a club that helped promote them to VFL.

As for Richmond and Box Hill, does players going there and getting drafted attract players who are good enough to go there and try to get drafted? Surely alternative pathway types look at how others achieved selection and try to replicate that?
Ive seen a number of MPFNL guys go to Collingwood / Richmond for the Auro of “big club” mentality, hell current Geelong VFL captain Dan Capiron is a Mornington Peninsula boy at heart.

As each match goes by, the acquisition of Nyko shows he was a sought after signature. Not in the area, not local (unless studying that im unaware of), and in a position we could use depth in. An inspired choice

The other VFL guys are all proving to be astute pick ups, would love to get Billy Coottee back who just played well in the SANFL v WAFL state game as an onballer you could build around. We’ve had a few guys look elsewhere for consistent match time or more winning environments to succeed.

VFL watchers: would it be worth going for Hately?

Also, would anyone consider trading Hobbs for a draft pick to try to get Kako?
Hately is playing well. Would not be at the top of my list but not something I would be totally against.

I am not trading Hobbs. We are starting to play a bit of hard edge footy and he is a hard edge player with some leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back