Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes perfect sense using your example.

The ten best bowlers could be male or female.

As footballers these players aren't elite. There's only one elite competition. Then there's a bunch of other leagues including the AFLW that aren't at an elite level.
You said that they couldn’t be classed as elite because of how the game looked optically. Hence my bowling analogy

Don’t go changing the goal posts now people might think you have a vendetta 🙄

You said that they couldn’t be classed as elite because of how the game looked optically. Hence my bowling analogy

Don’t go changing the goal posts now people might think you have a vendetta 🙄

I'm not changing anything. Maybe your bowling analogy doesn't work because all the top ten bowlers all look very similar when bowling.

You seem to be saying because bowling looks silly it's all silly to you, so that's your point?

I have no vendetta, same view I've always had. They wanted to run before they could walk and the league reflects that with the standard of play.

You stated that they put the word "elite" into a bit of nothing paperwork.

That doesn't make it elite in any shape way or form.

People are already laughing at the absolutely clownery of the players flip flopping from teams so easily.

It's look far more rank amateur than anything elite.

The AFLW is the elite competition in womens aussie rules, it just is. But maybe there's a terminology mix up. It's not a professional full-time competition, maybe you mean that? If womens gaelic football is amateur, would AFLW be too at this stage?

The "flip flopping" is mostly due to four new teams coming in. When Freo, Port, Suns, and Giants came entered the mens comp it was the same. They don't get paid enough, wanting to play with mates is not a big deal, or moving due to some players needing to support their career outside of football because it's not full-time, how can you begrudge them that? Until it's a professional full time comp and most of them are earning triple figures from it, they can't be tied down like days of yore. Even now with free agency, you have to get used to players moving around.

The AFLW is the elite competition in womens aussie rules, it just is. But maybe there's a terminology mix up. It's not a professional full-time competition, maybe you mean that? If womens gaelic football is amateur, would AFLW be too at this stage?

The "flip flopping" is mostly due to four new teams coming in. When Freo, Port, Suns, and Giants came entered the mens comp it was the same. They don't get paid enough, wanting to play with mates is not a big deal, or moving due to some players needing to support their career outside of football because it's not full-time, how can you begrudge them that? Until it's a professional full time comp and most of them are earning triple figures from it, they can't be tied down like days of yore. Even now with free agency, you have to get used to players moving around.

When blow in fans watch it for the first time after you've been calling it an elite competition in marketing as something to watch then you probably should be providing elite football else they could walk away not buying into that claim once they
they've watched the product.

Like I said, they are running before they can walk.

Too much too soon.

I'm not changing anything. Maybe your bowling analogy doesn't work because all the top ten bowlers all look very similar when bowling.

You seem to be saying because bowling looks silly it's all silly to you, so that's your point?

I have no vendetta, same view I've always had. They wanted to run before they could walk and the league reflects that with the standard of play.
There’s more to it than that with the pushing it all into place.

They need a top tier league for the thousands of girls who are playing and then all the infrastructure underneath that.

Yeah, we can already look back and say the standard two years ago doesn’t cut it these days and we may be saying it for a few more.

But it is the pinnacle for female Aussie rules kids

When blow in fans watch it for the first time after you've been calling it an elite competition in marketing as something to watch then you probably should be providing elite football else they could walk away not buying into that claim once they
they've watched the product.

Like I said, they are running before they can walk.

Too much too soon.
If it takes ten years to become the best Aussie Rules player you can be the idea of waiting till there are exceptional players and then start building the pathway…
Nah, that’s not forward thinking

There’s more to it than that with the pushing it all into place.

They need a top tier league for the thousands of girls who are playing and then all the infrastructure underneath that.

Yeah, we can already look back and say the standard two years ago doesn’t cut it these days and we may be saying it for a few more.

But it is the pinnacle for female Aussie rules kids

Pinnacle is a fair enough term to use in this case.

If you sell it to the people not watching it who you'd like to get to games then don't use language that can leave people wondering why they didn't see what they were being sold.

There will come a time where physical limitations will set the ceiling of the standard of the game. Who knows how far off that is.

So you’d be happy for it to be called the pinnacle of the sport but draw umbrage at it being called the elite?

I mean there have to be better hills to die on right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it takes ten years to become the best Aussie Rules player you can be the idea of waiting till there are exceptional players and then start building the pathway…
Nah, that’s not forward thinking

And they started the end product way too soon before the pathways were even producing enough players for something like this.

What happens if the novelty wears off and player numbers start decreasing?

Quick search shows I was talking about women's football before you were on BF.

What took you so long? Bit slow on the uptake?

Or is it because I was involved with it before you were?
It took him awhile to build his shrine
😏
And they started the end product way too soon before the pathways were even producing enough players for something like this.

I don’t think it will.
They can’t find enough grounds in Melb and are starting to play on Friday nights.

Finding enough Umpires is a real issue for the amount of games being played at the moment

Plenty of things to talk about regarding the game.

How you market it is one of those things.

I do get where you're coming from. There seems to be two schools of thought around the word "elite". Either a comparitive standard in the womens game, or an overarching term.

Would you consider the standard of Adelaide and Brisbane elite? IMO they were a head above the rest of the comp last season.

Yeah this is a tricky one. While it seems that the pathways were previously lacking, the implementation of the AFLW has probably accelerated the growth. A bit chicken and egg. Yeah the novelty phase wears off everything in eventually, but it looks like we're still growing for a while, and when the novelty wears off we should still be at better numbers and standards than we are currently. This last bit is just my own thoughts, but it makes sense to me haha.

Quick search shows I was talking about women's football before you were on BF.

What took you so long? Bit slow on the uptake?

Or is it because I was involved with it before you were?
You don't know what you're talking about.

Makes perfect sense using your example.

The ten best bowlers could be male or female.

As footballers these players aren't elite. There's only one elite competition. Then there's a bunch of other leagues including the AFLW that aren't at an elite level.
The AFL and the AFLW are not comparable leagues

If the AFL does decide next week that the men's grand final will be a twilight start, I wonder what impact that will have on the plans for the public holiday round of women's footy.

Maybe they'd play an AFLW game in the early arvo on the last Saturday of September. But if so, I'd guess that would more likely be at Punt Road Oval(?) than the MCG.

If the AFL does decide next week that the men's grand final will be a twilight start, I wonder what impact that will have on the plans for the public holiday round of women's footy.

Maybe they'd play an AFLW game in the early arvo on the last Saturday of September. But if so, I'd guess that would more likely be at Punt Road Oval(?) than the MCG.
There’s usually an U17 (boys) future’s game on there on Grand Final day.

Imagine if they kept the league at eight teams, let the roots grow deep and the soil become fertile before slowly adding two teams at a time.

Womens footy is in a world of pain, the AFL botched it imo

Expansion is a complete pain in the arse, I'm happy to soon have it out of the way.

The standard has increased every year anyway, but yeah it obviously would've looked better with more of the higher quality players spread across less teams.
But while this might seem a short term pain, the game will be better off in the long run. We now have the attention of 18 clubs and its supporters, more kids taking up the sport and sticking with it. The reals gains might be seen in about 10-15 years instead of 20-25 (however long delayed expansion would've added).

You'd expect the standard next season to take a hit, but the talent and talent ID has improved. So who knows? I'm excited. Shame about the season length, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back