Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From "all of our VFLW coaches are women..."
25 November 2020:

to "some of our AFLW coaches are women..."
10 June 2022:

and now "our new AFLW coach is a man, but what matters is he's an outstanding coach and fantastic person."
5 Feb 2024:

Well I guess this is growing up. But, ouch, rarely does it look so hypocritical. Almost makes it seem as if Hawthorn's all-female-coaches thing was a publicity stunt. Like the time they appointed an under-qualified woman as CEO, who was sacked after five months.

Anyway, that's done and done, now just waiting on the Bulldogs. I wonder what's taking them so long--perhaps struggling with the "fantastic person" qualifier?
Sorry, but it makes it look like it wasn't a publicity stunt.

I mean, the media release, and the framing is publicity. But if they are still prepared to hire male coaches, then doesn't this imply that the previous all female panel was merit based?

If they just kept hiring women, and kept using media to highlight this, then that would imply they had decided on an all women policy for appearance sake.

Given the sparcity, ven in the female footy space, of all women coaching panels, that they had one was always going to be highlighted, and by itself doesn't really imply anything.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry, but it makes it look like it wasn't a publicity stunt.

I mean, the media release, and the framing is publicity. But if they are still prepared to hire male coaches, then doesn't this imply that the previous all female panel was merit based?

If they just kept hiring women, and kept using media to highlight this, then that would imply they had decided on an all women policy for appearance sake.

Given the sparcity, ven in the female footy space, of all women coaching panels, that they had one was always going to be highlighted, and by itself doesn't really imply anything.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Feel free to actually read the articles, where you'll find stuff like this:
With only one female head coach across the entire AFLW competition and five across the VFLW, Hawthorn identified the need to develop more female coaches.
...Which suggests Hawthorn patting themselves on the back for the altruistic act of hiring women, rather than implying the appointments were meritorious.

As with the CEO farce, they hire women when things are already running smoothly. But when there's a crisis, time to bring in the men to do things properly!

From "all of our VFLW coaches are women..."
25 November 2020:

to "some of our AFLW coaches are women..."
10 June 2022:

and now "our new AFLW coach is a man, but what matters is he's an outstanding coach and fantastic person."
5 Feb 2024:

Well I guess this is growing up. But, ouch, rarely does it look so hypocritical. Almost makes it seem as if Hawthorn's all-female-coaches thing was a publicity stunt. Like the time they appointed an under-qualified woman as CEO, who was sacked after five months.

Anyway, that's done and done, now just waiting on the Bulldogs. I wonder what's taking them so long--perhaps struggling with the "fantastic person" qualifier?
I know this isn't the 2024 list. But it seems all of their VFLW coaches could still be 100% women?

I know this isn't the 2024 list. But it seems all of their VFLW coaches could still be 100% women?

Yeah like I said, the philosophy at HFC seems to be: when the stakes are low enough, it's ok to hire women. That and "it's bad if other clubs hire a male AFLW senior coach, but it's ok when we do it."

4 years into their quest of supposedly developing more female coaches, but apparently none are ready to be an AFLW senior coach yet.

Webster has been coaching since 2015. Probably has better experience and ideas than those women developing at the Hawks at this time. Not like he's new to aflw either. Not really a thing where you go you have done x years so you’re getting the job anyway. Many people miss out at all levels. Who knows how many felt they were ready and even applied from that group? You could go looking for malice anywhere when we aren’t involved in the discussions.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for the Hawks.

Webster has been coaching since 2015. Probably has better experience and ideas than those women developing at the Hawks at this time. Not like he's new to aflw either. Not really a thing where you go you have done x years so you’re getting the job anyway. Many people miss out at all levels. Who knows how many felt they were ready and even applied from that group? You could go looking for malice anywhere when we aren’t involved in the discussions.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for the Hawks.
Yes you can consider all the nuances of the issue.

Or you can just do what a bunch of Hawthorn officials publicly did 2 years ago: blindly criticise other clubs for their decisions, demand those clubs hand back their licences, and hysterically lament how "AFLW is a women's competition run by men".

Yes you can consider all the nuances of the issue.

Or you can just do what a bunch of Hawthorn officials publicly did 2 years ago: blindly criticise other clubs for their decisions, demand those clubs hand back their licences, and hysterically lament how "AFLW is a women's competition run by men".
Where did they demand other clubs hand back their licenses? 'Hysterical' is a classically sexist way to criticise women that I wouldn't expect from an AFLW supporter like you... Is this just an anti-Hawks thing?

Where did they demand other clubs hand back their licenses? 'Hysterical' is a classically sexist way to criticise women that I wouldn't expect from an AFLW supporter like you... Is this just an anti-Hawks thing?
On Twitter.

Considering I've criticised Jeff Kennett on here for hysterically claiming Hawthorn were being discriminated against, it seems like the second-most fitting criticism of their women's football program to date (only behind hypocritical).

This was Bec Goddard in 2020 - note that she was signed as Hawthorns VFLW coach in Dec 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone been able to read this article? What's it about? Seems somewhat concerning, hopefully nothing that will impact the Swannies :huh:

The article talks about Collingwood considering to align their VFLW program with Williamstown late last year (which they ended up not doing). It then says players weren't happy about this and nearly all of them have since left.

It also points out some of the exited players have accepted paid offers at other clubs. It doesn't mention, however, the discontent among players with regards to not getting a chance at AFLW level via Collingwood.

What punishment are we expecting for Lexi Hamilton and Paige Sheppard for the illicit drugs?
Well, we dont expect anything, as we know what will happen, as it comes under the AFLs first strike recreational drug policy, and not under the performance enhancing drug policy, as its out of competition.

First amongst that lot, is that they aren't to be named.

What punishment are we expecting for Lexi Hamilton and Paige Sheppard for the illicit drugs?
It's a pity they didn't just do it in Lexi's home city, it's not even a criminal offence here, unlike in less sensible parts of the country. Would've just been a small fine like a parking ticket, and likely not recorded in public unlike under the NSW court system.

I didn't know they'd named them. Glad it's out all the same.
They got named because they were caught by the police, not the AFL. If it was AFL internal testing, they wouldn't have been named. They wouldn't have even said that players failed a drug test.

That it was done through the police meant it was always going to be public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back