AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going with an original thread title that bears no resemblance to the VFL OR VFLW threads...šŸ˜‰

Since our season came to end last year the noise out of Geelong has been pretty quiet, can't recall any announcements on retirements or delistings, though we may just be waiting for what the league has to say regarding required list changes, season dates etc

And the league has also been pretty quiet, well until today when has announced some interesting info ahead of the 2023 trade period, something that's not likely to be well received by all teams...

THE AFLW's four expansion clubs have been given unprecedented powers to poach star players from rival teams, with grand finalists Melbourne and Brisbane among those most vulnerable to a raid on their top talent.

The details for the 2023 Sign and Trade Period - which will run from March 10-20 - have been confirmed, with last year's four expansion clubs to be given a window to sign "priority signing period" players beforehand...

The expansion clubs who have access to the PSP period (1-8 March) are Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney, who all entered the competition last season.

Given the variety of finishing positions and list strengths of the four clubs, the following restrictions have been put in place.

Essendon

• Can sign up to two players during PSP
  • Can offer a "secondary relocation reimbursement/payment" to those players

Hawthorn

• Can sign up to three players during PSP

Port Adelaide

• Granted an additional two list spots for season eight
  • Can sign up to three players during PSP
  • Can sign one underage player during PSP
  • That underage player is eligible to play during the season

Sydney

• Granted an additional three list spots for season eight, reducing to two for season nine and none for season 10
  • Can sign up to five players during PSP
  • Can offer longer-term contracts with an additional two seasons more than that which is allowed in season eight, for two players only
  • Can offer longer-term contracts with an additional one season more than allowed in season eight, for three players only

As for what that means for Geelong:

The 14 remaining clubs have limits on the number of players they can lose via PSP:

• Clubs that finished 1-4 post-finals (Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, North Melbourne): no more than five players
  • Clubs that finished 5th-8th post-finals (Collingwood, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Geelong): no more than two players
  • Clubs that finished 9th-18th (Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle, St Kilda, Carlton, West Coast); no more than one player

With dates and other info starting to be released, it's time to kick off discussion for 2023

as for the above article: The HUGE trade twist set to reshape AFLW pecking order

Stupid move by AFL, and a massive overreach into club control of their own business.

Nothing wrong with these teams fighting it out for a few years to rise on their own terms. Good for club legacy having stories like that.

Players would have to want to leave though? I.e. not forced if a bottom dweller wants them

Figuresā€¦ we finally get to start building a young core and now theyā€™ll potentially get ripped apart..

I get the AFLW needs parity but ffs..

Go Catters

So my first concern is immediately Prespakis. Her sister didn't want to come to Geelong, and then shifted to Essendon when the opportunity came up.

If Prespakis were to leave it would have to be via a trade, and that will be interesting to see how that would work this time as the 2023 draft is an overage draft - that may not interest as many teams, so we may not see many trades

And don't forget that Georgie could have followed her sister last year and gone to Essendon or any of the other Melbourne clubs, but instead she chose Geelong - has much changed in the last 6 months?

Did we try to recruit her sister?

Ahead of our first draft when they split the Victorian draft pool into Metro, Regional or Both for nominations - Nina nominated Regional, and we had multiple conversations with Maddy to see if she'd be open to a move down the highway but she nominated Metro to stay more local

Interestingly, the 2nd pick that draft was Sofie VDH & 3rd was Maddy Prespakis - so went to Geelong & Carlton on draft night, spend 4 seasons as their respective clubs before both headed to Essendon for their 5th seasons

Add in their draft selections from last year and Essendon has a number of top 10 picks on their list

Ahead of our first draft when they split the Victorian draft pool into Metro, Regional or Both for nominations - Nina nominated Regional, and we had multiple conversations with Maddy to see if she'd be open to a move down the highway but she nominated Metro to stay more local

Interestingly, the 2nd pick that draft was Sofie VDH & 3rd was Maddy Prespakis - so went to Geelong & Carlton on draft night, spend 4 seasons as their respective clubs before both headed to Essendon for their 5th seasons

Add in their draft selections from last year and Essendon has a number of top 10 picks on their list

The drafting in the AFLW seems almost irrelevant when its so local. May as well be zones and FA.

The drafting in the AFLW seems almost irrelevant when its so local. May as well be zones and FA.

A full length season & an actual living wage for the lowest earners is the time when the draft will start to have relevance, as the idea of moving & moving interstate won't have the same financial hurdles as we currently see with what's essentially a part-time competition

A full length season & an actual living wage for the lowest earners is the time when the draft will start to have relevance, as the idea of moving & moving interstate won't have the same financial hurdles as we currently see with what's essentially a part-time competition

I suspect when it does become full time, and the same sort of pressures come to bare ..Geelong will become a destination club for the W as well. I think there is a long way to go.. before the men and the women are treated equally and both held to the same standard. Atm I think the draft is a concept that is struggling to work in the afl , and doubtful the AFLW when its only partly professional.Has a bottom club actually risen yet? The recent changes in player movement rules show the AFL feel that the draft is not really impactful

I suspect when it does become full time, and the same sort of pressures come to bare ..Geelong will become a destination club for the W as well. I think there is a long way to go.. before the men and the women are treated equally and both held to the same standard. Atm I think the draft is a concept that is struggling to work in the afl , and doubtful the AFLW when its only partly professional.Has a bottom club actually risen yet? The recent changes in player movement rules show the AFL feel that the draft is not really impactful

I know we played finals in our first season, but that was more so due to a quirk in the conference system rather than us actually earning that finals spot in an open competition

If we look at Season 4 (2020) the covid interrupted season, Richmond failed to win a game, and we won 2

Season 5, Richmond won 3 games and we scraped over the line against the Suns in the battle for the wooden spoon/winless season - seriously our worse season

Season 6, Richmond again with 3 wins and we doubled our wins from the previous year to finish with 2 wins

Season 7, Richmond with 7 wins & a draw finishes 4th (a few lucky wins in there), while we finished with 7 wins & 5th at the end of the H&A Season. Matches against the newer teams in the comp may have helped, but we both also beat more fancied rivals - that's probably the closest to team/s climbing the ladder

I know we played finals in our first season, but that was more so due to a quirk in the conference system rather than us actually earning that finals spot in an open competition

If we look at Season 4 (2020) the covid interrupted season, Richmond failed to win a game, and we won 2

Season 5, Richmond won 3 games and we scraped over the line against the Suns in the battle for the wooden spoon/winless season - seriously our worse season

Season 6, Richmond again with 3 wins and we doubled our wins from the previous year to finish with 2 wins

Season 7, Richmond with 7 wins & a draw finishes 4th (a few lucky wins in there), while we finished with 7 wins & 5th at the end of the H&A Season. Matches against the newer teams in the comp may have helped, but we both also beat more fancied rivals - that's probably the closest to team/s climbing the ladder

You know the comp far better than I ... but my feeling is till the last season we have tried more to focus on development and drafting of locals. Then this season we traded in ready to go players. Goal kicking players seem to make a huge difference and we traded one in with Sheeer I feel that had more to with our improvement than development of juniors , that and the new coach seemed to change to a more fluid game style. Of course they addition of GP and NM is a big card in the draft argument. Still Id like to see us to keep adding names. Like Sarah Blitz , be heck of a get.

From the cheap seats ..its seems like certain sides are entrenched at the top and the draft has been doing little to eradicate that. Id also say our program seems to be reasonably well run..we seem to get comparable crowds. The sooner it becomes closer to a more professional comp, the sooner it becomes a more equitable comp. With 18 teams now, I think that may take a little. Talent is hard to draw and hold. The recent money in the indian cricket will not help.

Is there a Sal Cap for a Rookie B type player. If we want to attract players from other comps it will take significant money. What do Basketballers earn in the USA or Europe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had first pick but she chose not to nominate Geelong as a potential destination meaning we didn't have the choice.

Just the way it read I thought you may be inferring that before we drafted Georgie ..we tried to trade in Maddie. AS far as I know she ws always Ess bound. Similar in a way to Danger. Always wanted to waer the sash.

Ridiculous that Chloe Molloy can walk to Sydney and Collingwood don't get any compensation whatsoever.

Hawthorn going after not one, not two, but three Brisbane Lions too. Utterly ridiculous.

Ridiculous that Chloe Molloy can walk to Sydney and Collingwood don't get any compensation whatsoever.

Hawthorn going after not one, not two, but three Brisbane Lions too. Utterly ridiculous.

They'll get compensation ahead of the next draft

I questioned why nothing this time, but with the short turn around between the two previous seasons and with full drafts after of each of them, they're not running a full draft this year. The draft after of this upcoming season is only an over age draft, and as such, compensation picks are unlikely to necessarily be wanted by teams, and instead getting that compensation ahead of a full draft well be better value

Tons of player movement, big names among them, in this trade period - but all quiet on the Cat front. I fear someone like Bel Johnson being targeted by one of the expansion-expansion clubs; we've built a handy list but it wouldn't take much to throw it out of balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back