VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. Hard to live up to. We do need to remember the blitz didn’t become his type until a mature player. So maybe in 4-5 years Neale could be that? Would be obviously great if that happened
Yeah it feels like the "for a big man" does a bit of work in the description "great at ground level for a ...."

In a big fan though he just needs games

Nice to know Richmond even get undeserved home finals at VFL level too....

F4BlaQ8aYAEYxBr

With his running ability could Neale become a Blicavs type as in a tall ruck rover?
Or alternatively could he become a winger. We have Holmes on one wing with speed and quick long ball delivery to the f50, and have Neale on the opposite wing running up and down the wing all day and as a dump kick alternative out of the d50.

Conway gives me the biggest Damien Bourke deja vu's of all time.

Yeah the blood nut look and all... but even in the gait and the movement ( Conway is better than Bourke) but the run and jump style... the kicking style... i just see a lot in it.

Watched the first 1/2.
Osca, Osca, Osca.
Clohesy as well.
Dempsey - goes without saying at this point.
Conway goes better than expected for 3rd game back - i still reckon come 12 mins unto 3rd 1/4 this week he'll hit the tank wall and get subbed out but thats just fitness.

Foster - like him but FFS find another gear. Ultimate one paced player. Needs to spend the entire offseason doing 30m sprints. Ill even take 20m sprints.
Get a burst outta the blocks for getting on leads but also be better at defending and adding pressure in F50. Its his first season so Im being harsh and theres a lot to like.... but yeah.... a second gear please.

VanderHoooooovel goes good enough for a rookie swing as a KPD for us - I see he got a combine invite - there goes keeping him quiet.

Braden Hamm needs to go. Not a fan for mine.

Id give Flyyn Kroeger and Cooper Whyte another year each.

With Ceglar, Smith and Menegola going.... and maybe 1 more.... they get a reprieve IMO.

What I hope the VFL do is keep Chalcraft, Caprion, Lloyds, Annand, Byrne, Feeley and bring in a few more expereinced types that can front up each week and be slightly more mature bodies.

WE get belted by the bigger types and we just need some more oomph to help keep us in it a bit more. I get the ethos in the VFL is to irror the AFL system and this translateed well but you gotta have the VFL lsited types to support it.. and IMO we need some bigger bodies to help it.

GO Catters

BNF results are in

Chalcraft Winner
Capiron 2nd
Ted 3rd
All 3 played most games. Not suprised about Capriron and Ted but a little about Chalcraft….not because he wasn’t pretty consistent throughout they year but because I thought he didn’t have many standout games.

I thought Bailey VDH might have been higher (he got 4th so pretty good) as he held up the defence all year with Capiron.

Knevitt and Dempsey tieing for 5th probably makes sense as they missed around 5-6 games each.

I thought Marcus Hensen might have also had a better result as he was good all year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All 3 played most games. Not suprised about Capriron and Ted but a little about Chalcraft….not because he wasn’t pretty consistent throughout they year but because I thought he didn’t have many standout games.

I thought Bailey VDH might have been higher (he got 4th so pretty good) as he held up the defence all year with Capiron.

Knevitt and Dempsey tieing for 5th probably makes sense as they missed around 5-6 games each.

I thought Marcus Hensen might have also had a better result as he was good all year

Anyone in that group capable of stepping up in your opinion - Knevitt and Dempsey aside?

Anyone in that group capable of stepping up in your opinion - Knevitt and Dempsey aside?
I have been a fan of Bailey VDH…. He can be a bit “hand over the eyes” decision making but took over 6 marks per game and most of them would have been intercept - and a lot of them contested. I think in a professional environment he could make big strides (despite being 24 already) - certainly to be a really good back up KPD. I would think rookie pick at least

I love Cousins (got injured late) who got best first year…. Not sure he will translate to AFL but just love his attack and speed

The other good VFL players (including Chalcraft Benson Capiron Lucas) are all good vfl players but I think lack AFL weapon…

Of the AFL listed I am a fan of Ted for sure…and I think Willis has AFL characteristics but obvioulsy hard to see if he can be consistent. Maybe Flynn too - but who knows. Phoenix has something but needs to mature (attitude wise) quickly from what I can see. Not sure about the rest.

After typing this…it does suggest we might need to build some more depth IMHO

Herbert did deserve to be higher and him and byrne (who missed games with injury) were very good.

Jye is doing everything he can to get on a list size holds him back but i wouldnt be against a rookie slot atkins style. I think vdh is a big chance to get picked up by us or someone else.

Herbert did deserve to be higher and him and byrne (who missed games with injury) were very good.

Jye is doing everything he can to get on a list size holds him back but i wouldnt be against a rookie slot atkins style. I think vdh is a big chance to get picked up by us or someone else.

I've banged this drum a bit this year but with Sav out the door, rookie-ing VDH to maintain KPD depth would be a smart move. Thought he showed plenty in the VFL this year - looked a better defender than Sav.

Fairly hard to have allot of standout games playing as a small forward in this team

If anyone has the full listing feel free to share

On a votes per game basis for the top 10, I'm most interested in how they rate Hardie.

PosNameVotesGamesVotes Per game
5​
Mitch Knevitt
132​
13​
10.15​
9​
Brandan Parfitt
108​
11​
9.82​
7​
Marcus Herbert
127​
13​
9.77​
2​
Daniel Capiron
156​
16​
9.75​
6​
Oliver Dempsey
132​
14​
9.43​
1​
Jye Chalcraft
163​
18​
9.06​
4​
Bailey Van de Heuvel
145​
17​
8.53​
3​
Ted Clohesy
147​
18​
8.17​
8​
Ben Lloyd
127​
16​
7.94​
10​
Cooper Whyte
106​
16​
6.63​

On a votes per game basis for the top 10, I'm most interested in how they rate Hardie.

5​
Mitch Knevitt
132​
13​
10.15​
9​
Brandan Parfitt
108​
11​
9.82​
7​
Marcus Herbert
127​
13​
9.77​
2​
Daniel Capiron
156​
16​
9.75​
6​
Oliver Dempsey
132​
14​
9.43​
1​
Jye Chalcraft
163​
18​
9.06​
4​
Bailey Van de Heuvel
145​
17​
8.53​
3​
Ted Clohesy
147​
18​
8.17​
8​
Ben Lloyd
127​
16​
7.94​
10​
Cooper Whyte
106​
16​
6.63​
Interesting way of looking at it. That reinforces as to why I would have named Herbert as my winner. But he played 5 less games than Jye so just didn’t really have a look.

‘’I note with Dempsey he had two half games (where he left at half time for afl hold back) so if you did 13 equivalent games would continue to tie with knevitt on per game.

probably makes sense on per game that knev Parf and Dempsey were best for year but not at all suprised that Herbert and Capiron are best vfl listed.

best thing about Ted is that he played all 18 games which in of itself is a great sign year 1

i can’t find full list and would also be interested to know how hardie went on per game…

shout out to mace cousins who I have high hopes for in 24

5​
Mitch Knevitt
132​
13​
10.15​
9​
Brandan Parfitt
108​
11​
9.82​
7​
Marcus Herbert
127​
13​
9.77​
2​
Daniel Capiron
156​
16​
9.75​
6​
Oliver Dempsey
132​
14​
9.43​
1​
Jye Chalcraft
163​
18​
9.06​
4​
Bailey Van de Heuvel
145​
17​
8.53​
3​
Ted Clohesy
147​
18​
8.17​
8​
Ben Lloyd
127​
16​
7.94​
10​
Cooper Whyte
106​
16​
6.63​
I still haven’t been able to find the full list of VFL voting…but I did go an have a look at Coaches Votes….now we are missing the last 4 rounds (they hold them back until award night)…

Top 10 for coaches votes - with last 4 rounds not included

Chalcraft. 34. (From 14 games)
Dempsey. 27. (From 8 full games)
Ceglar. 20 (a handful of games. Dominant when played)
Capiron. 16 (12 games)
Parfitt. 12. (8 or 9 games)
Bailey VDH. 10. (13 games)
Knevitt. 8 (9 games)
Herbert. 6 (from a few games)
Cousins. 6. (from handfull of games before knee)
Lloyd. 6

So pretty consistent with VFL award. Not sure whether last 4 rounds will make a difference although some chance Dempsey closes the gaps with Chalcraft over last 4 games.

What it does show is how important a proper ruckman is in the VFL. Have AFL standard one and they get coaches votes for standing out!

Vfl/vflw awards tonight. Are we expecting anything?

Laura Gardiner to be well placed in the VFLW B&F until her season is cut short by AFLW duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back