AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a bit more on Simpson, from the Age

"Simpson, also the sister of former Cat Sam Simpson, was not taken in last year’s draft, but shone with Geelong’s VFLW team this year as an inside, ball-winning midfielder."

"Simpson, 19, was a joint-winner of the Lambert-Pearce Medal with Jordan Mifsud and Akayla Peterson, as the VFLW’s best and fairest. She also won the Debbie Lee Rising Star as best young player."

I'm fairly sure Charlotte Simpson is heading to St Kilda, although the various things I've read are a bit vague.

Link seems fairly definitive though JC

Talented mid heading to Geelong under father-daughter rules

The club officially nominating prospect Bryde O’Rourke as a father-daughter selection.

The club could not guarantee Simpson, the brother of delisted Cat Sam, a spot on the list despite her breakout campaign, given they are unlikely to use many selections at the AFLW Draft.

Cats are excited by O’Rourke’s looming arrival and wishes Simpson all the best for the draft, believing she has what it takes to play at the next level.

Great press conference with Georgie Prespakis after she won the B&F on the club site at the moment.

She's come a long way not only as a player but as a leader/spokesperson for the club; she handles herself really well in the aforementioned presser, seems unflustered and at ease with herself. Saw a couple of interviews with her last year where she seemed quite awkward and unsure of what to say; she's matured significantly in the interim.

Still doesn't turn 21 until March.

More on O'Rourke

Bryde O’Rourke

Position: Midfielder
Height: 174cm
State: Victoria, Bendigo Pioneers/Strathfieldsaye
Nomination: Victoria

A tall, strong midfielder (similar height to Bri Davey) who impressed at the Combine. She's quick to burst from the contest and reads the play at a similar pace, meaning she's in the right spots at the right time. Still has some development to go, but is a very promising midfielder.

Where could she go?

Geelong has had a father-daughter selection fall into its lap, after the late discovery that O'Rourke's father, Ray, played two games for the club (for a combined two disposals) in 1969.

Late discovery??

Thank god they found that out. But you think they should have known a fair way out.

I'd still prioritise the re-signing of A. Moloney ahead of all others
I'd hope they play it smart with their negotiations. Has shown much more than expected, but shes still a project player. Absolute chance to get to top tier forward in AFLW within a season or two, but Id hope we get some value for money at the start of her career before breaking the bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised A Mac was only signed to a 2 year.
Yeah that was a topic of conversation in our house, too. My understanding is that anyone in the AFLW who is out of contract is effectively a free agent, so it's not that ... hope like hell she is planning to stay, she is a ripper.

Maybe a factor is that, with three BnFs under her belt, she was a bit stung by the gap that Prespakis and Morrison put on her in the BnF points this year. Really hope she is backing herself to stay in the top tier ... but they can't all be there. Morrison and Prespakis seem like locks, and Aisling is pounding on the door. Scheer must be thereabouts, too ...

it really highlights that we "need" a flag in the next two years to bind this group together, and make it worth their while to stay for a bit less money than they might get elsewhere.

Hi all, you are invited to the AFLW Draft Night discussion thread

I was kinda hoping to see Essendon select Georgia Clark as I would have to have seen the confusion caused when both Georgia Clarke and Georgia Clark lined up in the same team

Although, they may well line up opposed to each other as in pretty sure Clarke was playing in defence for Essendon this season

View attachment 1874199

View attachment 1874200

I know others have had some hesitations around Prespakis & her potentially leaving after only a season or two in the Hoops, but I going the impression from early on she was committed to the Club - yes I'm aware things do change though

In her first summer at the Club, it was reported how she had moved to the region and was working locally outside of her football commitments

When she then opted against joining her sister at Essendon, something she could have done as essentially a "free agent" type player without a trade needing to be done when they joined the league, it did send a signal she was committed to seeing where things were going at Geelong and no doubt the last couple of seasons have suggested we're moving in the right direction

Love seeing the commitment that's been shown in today's announcement, not just with Pres signing for 4 years but the number of players committed to the Club and the journey we're on

Could the selection of Mason suggest we could potentially see a change of role for A. Moloney?

I know she showed a lot of promise as a forward this year, but her athleticism is crazy good for a player 183cm tall, and her work at times in general play & with the loose ball was ridiculous for player who's only new to the game - so could she find herself playing a bit higher up the ground at times, because that could become an even harder match up for opposition teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back