AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I compared Bowen's output to Zali Friswell's earlier in the week; we both know you are an advocate of Mikayla's but I absolutely love what Frizz produced this season (after a slow start) and was keen to advocate for her, too.

But I see Bowen as already being a leader at the club; like you said she seems very much a team-first player and she puts in the work week after week. I hope the club give her the respect she deserves.

Last edited:
In Bowen's case, surely a lot went really well - she couldn't have got any more out of herself in 2023 I'd have thought - I thought she was a great addition to the team last year and she improved significantly this year. Like I said earlier, I reckon she can get even better, too; she's a smart player.

Last edited:

Gents/Ladies, I've had to delete a couple posts because I stupidly mentioned something about a contract.
Poor choice of words.
So if you can't see a few that were here, thats why.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Georgie Prespakis is closing in on a multi-year contract extension to remain at Geelong for 2024 and beyond #AFLW .

Geelong Cats set to lock in Georgie Prespakis to multi-year deal after best and fairest win
Geelong is set to lock in its best and fairest winner to a multi-year deal after a dominant campaign in the hoops.

Geelong star Georgie Prespakis is on the verge of signing a multi-year deal to remain in the hoops after a dominant 2023 campaign.

The 20 year old, who was selected second overall in the 2021 AFLW draft, won the Cats’ best and fairest award to become the club’s second-youngest ever winner of the medal.

With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement signed in September, AFLW players have the ability to sign longer-term contracts without a cap on the maximum terms of the deal.

Prespakis said she had no plans on leaving the club, and hoped to have a deal confirmed in the coming days as the Cats look to lock in their playing list ahead of the draft on Monday, December 18.

“I was really fortunate enough to get picked up by Geelong,” she said.

“Geelong took me and I’m so very grateful and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, I do love the football club here and I do think from an outside perspective everyone sees that culturally we’ve got a really amazing culture here at Geelong.

“We’re on a really good trajectory, and hopefully some success will come in the next few years.

“It (contract extension) is still in the works, obviously with the season only finishing a couple of weeks ago they’ve got the draft coming up and looking at bringing in some talent so unsure as of yet, but we’ll find out shortly I hope.”

Prespakis will not be the only Cat to sign an extension for next season, with Geelong set to retain the majority of its list from 2023.

Mia Skinner, Ingrid Houtsma and Sammy Gooden were all delisted at the start of December, while the Cats have committed to drafting father-daughter selection Bryde O’Rourke in the draft on Monday.

The new CBA deal will see the average AFLW player salary increase from the current $46,000 to about $82,000, with contracts being extended to year-round rather than just season-long deals.

It is expected that Prespakis will become one of the highest-paid Cats women’s players going into next season.

Melbourne has been quick to utilise the new CBA rules to extend captain Kate Hore and vice-captain Tyla Hanks until the end of 2027 and Lily Mithen until the end of 2026, while grand finalists North Melbourne also signed star Jasmine Garner until the end of 2027.

Prepakis said the commitment players and clubs were making to each other was good for the AFLW.

“I think it’s really exciting with this new CBA, enabling girls to be able to sign longer contracts at their clubs,” she said.

“It just goes to show the commitment that girls are wanting to have to their football clubs and I guess we’ll see.”

Prespakis averaged 24.2 disposals, 7.2 tackles and 6.6 clearances per game in 2023.

Georgie Prespakis is closing in on a multi-year contract extension to remain at Geelong for 2024 and beyond #AFLW .

Geelong Cats set to lock in Georgie Prespakis to multi-year deal after best and fairest win
Geelong is set to lock in its best and fairest winner to a multi-year deal after a dominant campaign in the hoops.

Geelong star Georgie Prespakis is on the verge of signing a multi-year deal to remain in the hoops after a dominant 2023 campaign.

The 20 year old, who was selected second overall in the 2021 AFLW draft, won the Cats’ best and fairest award to become the club’s second-youngest ever winner of the medal.

With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement signed in September, AFLW players have the ability to sign longer-term contracts without a cap on the maximum terms of the deal.

Prespakis said she had no plans on leaving the club, and hoped to have a deal confirmed in the coming days as the Cats look to lock in their playing list ahead of the draft on Monday, December 18.

“I was really fortunate enough to get picked up by Geelong,” she said.

“Geelong took me and I’m so very grateful and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, I do love the football club here and I do think from an outside perspective everyone sees that culturally we’ve got a really amazing culture here at Geelong.

“We’re on a really good trajectory, and hopefully some success will come in the next few years.

“It (contract extension) is still in the works, obviously with the season only finishing a couple of weeks ago they’ve got the draft coming up and looking at bringing in some talent so unsure as of yet, but we’ll find out shortly I hope.”

Prespakis will not be the only Cat to sign an extension for next season, with Geelong set to retain the majority of its list from 2023.

Mia Skinner, Ingrid Houtsma and Sammy Gooden were all delisted at the start of December, while the Cats have committed to drafting father-daughter selection Bryde O’Rourke in the draft on Monday.

The new CBA deal will see the average AFLW player salary increase from the current $46,000 to about $82,000, with contracts being extended to year-round rather than just season-long deals.

It is expected that Prespakis will become one of the highest-paid Cats women’s players going into next season.

Melbourne has been quick to utilise the new CBA rules to extend captain Kate Hore and vice-captain Tyla Hanks until the end of 2027 and Lily Mithen until the end of 2026, while grand finalists North Melbourne also signed star Jasmine Garner until the end of 2027.

Prepakis said the commitment players and clubs were making to each other was good for the AFLW.

“I think it’s really exciting with this new CBA, enabling girls to be able to sign longer contracts at their clubs,” she said.

“It just goes to show the commitment that girls are wanting to have to their football clubs and I guess we’ll see.”

Prespakis averaged 24.2 disposals, 7.2 tackles and 6.6 clearances per game in 2023.

You beauty.

I absolutely thought she was a flight risk to go play with her sister so really really happy to be wrong with that one. She seems really happy here and having a good group of mids all around her age coming through together probably really helps.. great outcome

Are we expected to do much of anything in the trade period?

I absolutely thought she was a flight risk to go play with her sister so really really happy to be wrong with that one. She seems really happy here and having a good group of mids all around her age coming through together probably really helps.. great outcome

Only mention I've seen of us is Annabel Johnson to WCE - waiting to see what that trade will be, if it gets done

Makes her sister to us the more likely scenario? That'd be nice ;)

Only mention I've seen of us is Annabel Johnson to WCE - waiting to see what that trade will be, if it gets done

Mentions here on Annabel "while Cats defender Annabelle Johnson has also requested a trade to West Coast."

Bella Smith, who was an emergency in Brisbane's Grand Final victory over North Melbourne earlier this month, appears headed for Geelong after playing just once for the premier this season. She had been offered a new contract to stay at the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentions here on Annabel "while Cats defender Annabelle Johnson has also requested a trade to West Coast."

Bella Smith, who was an emergency in Brisbane's Grand Final victory over North Melbourne earlier this month, appears headed for Geelong after playing just once for the premier this season. She had been offered a new contract to stay at the Lions.

What type of player is Smith?

She's been on Brisbane's list for 3 seasons for 1 game - curious as to how she fits into our side or if it's about just doing something

She's been on Brisbane's list for 3 seasons for 1 game - curious as to how she fits into our side or if it's about just doing something
20-year-old midfielder, not to be confused with the Sydney key forward with the same name.

Stole this from the Lions board, which explains the non-appearance last year. Seems to be from the Sunshine Coast, so perhaps looking for a move to Geelong for better weather ....

"Bella Smith will make her long awaited debut, replacing Cathy Svarc who is unavailable due to illness."

"Smith, who joined the Lions in 2021 from Maroochydore, will play her first AFLW game following a successful comeback from an ACL injury which cut her year short in 2022."

Had only six touches in her only game.

20-year-old midfielder, not to be confused with the Sydney key forward with the same name.

Stole this from the Lions board, which explains the non-appearance last year. Seems to be from the Sunshine Coast, so perhaps looking for a move to Geelong for better weather ....

"Bella Smith will make her long awaited debut, replacing Cathy Svarc who is unavailable due to illness."

"Smith, who joined the Lions in 2021 from Maroochydore, will play her first AFLW game following a successful comeback from an ACL injury which cut her year short in 2022."

Had 25 touches in her only game.
Cheers

1 game in 3 seasons doesn't read great, but I wasn't aware of the ACL which obviously took out the 2 seasons played in the same year

Apologies for the intrusion...

Bella is pretty much an inside mid (although is versatile), good footy brain and decent disposal, just competing with Svarc, Dawes, Anderson and Hodder for that role with us. I think we rate her, just hard to squeeze her into the team. Was emergency pretty much every games (besides her debut) after round 6. Did her ACL part way through 2022, so was still finding her feet for the first part of this season.

Pretty sure I'd read once she has family in Warrnambool.

Apologies for the intrusion...

Bella is pretty much an inside mid (although is versatile), good footy brain and decent disposal, just competing with Svarc, Dawes, Anderson and Hodder for that role with us. I think we rate her, just hard to squeeze her into the team. Was emergency pretty much every games (besides her debut) after round 6. Did her ACL part way through 2022, so was still finding her feet for the first part of this season.

Pretty sure I'd read once she has family in Warrnambool.
Her family use to live in Warrnambool, and they moved up to QLD.

Bella is pretty much an inside mid (although is versatile), good footy brain and decent disposal, just competing with Svarc, Dawes, Anderson and Hodder for that role with us. I think we rate her, just hard to squeeze her into the team.
The follow-up to this then is where would we squeeze her in?

Seems like a good character judging by this July 2023 article:

The follow-up to this then is where would we squeeze her in?

Seems like a good character judging by this July 2023 article:

Yep - if we don't have the strongest midfield group in the league, we'd be in the top 3-4. I don't see how anyone coming to us pushes out Pres, Nina, or AMac... then we have Darcie getting more mid time this season... and even then we have Bec Webster rotating through from HB to mid if need be.

Yep - if we don't have the strongest midfield group in the league, we'd be in the top 3-4. I don't see how anyone coming to us pushes out Pres, Nina, or AMac... then we have Darcie getting more mid time this season... and even then we have Bec Webster rotating through from HB to mid if need be.
Yeah, that puzzles me a little. All that said about being an inside mid, there's been little evidence as to how her game has progressed since returning and whether she's been able to work on the ourisde game a little more. I could see her playing as a general forward - her contested game is the strength or on a wing.

Where I see another inside mid helping our midfield group is that it would allow us to keep Morrison out on the wing a bit more - she's damaging as an inside player, but I think she's more valuable on the outside and we lose a bit when we have to move her from that role

She would be one of our best ball users, so if we can find someone to add to the in the guts rotations and keep Nina on the outside for them to feed the ball to, I think that would be a great win for us

Where I see another inside mid helping our midfield group is that it would allow us to keep Morrison out on the wing a bit more - she's damaging as an inside player, but I think she's more valuable on the outside and we lose a bit when we have to move her from that role

She would be one of our best ball users, so if we can find someone to add to the in the guts rotations and keep Nina on the outside for them to feed the ball to, I think that would be a great win for us
My first option would be cloning, but short of that ... makes sense.

Interesting - AFLW's Twitter page is saying Annabel Johnson to the Eagles and Bella Smith to Geelong is a done deal with a link to the trade tracker on the AFLW website - which has no details about the trade whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back