VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jye Chalcraft has joined Swan Districts in the WAFL (also played with PINT in the NTFL last week)

That would suggest he either hasn't nominated for the draft, or it's been indicated to him that he won't be selected

From AFL site - Cats VFL review
Feel like pure s*, just want Clohesy, Dempsey, and Knevitt in for Rd 1 seniors

Prelude to 2024

Assuming our b22 looks more or less like this come rd1:

B Jake Kolodjashnij Sam De Koning Jed Bews
HB Mitch Duncan Tom Stewart Jack Henry
C Mark Blicavs Tanner Bruhn Max Holmes
HF Brad Close Jeremy Cameron Ollie Henry
F Tyson Stengle Tom Hawkins Gary Rohan
Fol Rhys Stanley Patrick Dangerfield Cameron Guthrie

Interchange Zach Guthrie Gryan Miers Tom Atkins Zach Tuohy

Our vfl side will look more or less like this:

B Mullin COS MOC
HB Humphrey Foster Murdoch
C Knevitt Stevens Mannagh
HF Wiltshire Jeka Dempsey
F Parfitt Neale Furphy
Fol Conway Clark Bowes

Interchange Willis Clohesy Hardie Edward's

Even a half decent injury run and we should get some exciting viewing in the 2s this year. Very tall carrying these rucks though. Maybe jeka to the backline

Last edited:
Prelude to 2024

Assuming our b22 looks more or less like this come rd1:

B Jake Kolodjashnij Sam De Koning Jed Bews
HB Mitch Duncan Tom Stewart Jack Henry
C Mark Blicavs Tanner Bruhn Max Holmes
HF Brad Close Jeremy Cameron Ollie Henry
F Tyson Stengle Tom Hawkins Gary Rohan
Fol Rhys Stanley Patrick Dangerfield Cameron Guthrie

Interchange Zach Guthrie Gryan Miers Tom Atkins Zach Tuohy

Our vfl side will look more or less like this:

B Mullin COS MOC
HB Humphrey Foster Murdoch
C Knevitt Stevens Mannagh
HF Wiltshire Jeka Dempsey
F Parfitt Neale Furphy
Fol Conway Clark Bowes

Interchange Willis Clohesy Hardie Edward's

Even a half decent injury run and we should get some exciting viewing in the 2s this year. Very tall carrying these rucks though. Maybe jeka to the backline

Mannagh and knevitt will definitely be in the 1s imo-on that side you can put tuohy and rohan to sub/the 2s.
I also think bews will be in the 2s and one of moc or bowes will be in the 1s.
I also expect clark to play a lot of games.

Other than that good side..glad our vfl backline finally has some tall timber over 190cm. I reckon that conway will need management so we have enough other talls to give him a spell as needed.

Mannagh and knevitt will definitely be in the 1s imo-on that side you can put tuohy and rohan to sub/the 2s.
I also think bews will be in the 2s and one of moc or bowes will be in the 1s.
I also expect clark to play a lot of games.

Other than that good side..glad our vfl backline finally has some tall timber over 190cm. I reckon that conway will need management so we have enough other talls to give him a spell as needed.
Even giving Conway a spell it's a lot of talls. There will be injuries though you're right

No. Full list now unless someone goes onto the LTIL.

Think you are just better off taking them now and giving them a pre season like Wiltshire & Humphries.

You'd think that you'd miss out on any late developers in that way but I mean there were 15 picks or whatever this year in the MSD and no one took Mannagh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you are just better off taking them now and giving them a pre season like Wiltshire & Humphries.

You'd think that you'd miss out on any late developers in that way but I mean there were 15 picks or whatever this year in the MSD and no one took Mannagh.

Its a kind of group think that permeates the AFL, where they'll take the 60th 18 year old over the 3rd best 25 year old. I think it relates to the all of nothing of premiership success or bust.

If AFL had promotion(international competition etc) and relegation we'd see a lot more Mannaghs

I like how willing we are to not follow the conventional path.

I think it begs the question of what would we do if clubs just pinch players just because we were interested in them.

Last edited:
Its a kind of group think that permeates the AFL, where they'll take the 60th 18 year old over the 3rd best 25 year old. I think it relates to the all of nothing of premiership success or bust.

If AFL had promotion(international competition etc) and relegation we'd see a lot more Mannaghs

I like how willing we are to not follow the conventional path.

I think it begs the question of what would be do it clubs just pinch players just because we were interested in them.

I think the unmeasured metric is how much you value your own development system versus how much you value the individuals accountability for their own development.

I think if you rate how players develop elsewhere highly then you're valuing individual accountability for their own career outcomes ahead of other factors.

It also helps to build a sustainable culture of leadership if you're continuously feeding highly motivated people into it ahead of naturally skilled people.

Seeing Mannagh taken at 36 or whatever, you can see why Jai Chalcraft was long shot to get a rookie pick.
Mannagh just that next step above and while not a knock on Jai... there is a difference there - I was backing Jai to be a Rookie pick for us at one point.

Tough game and a rememinder to those that make it to make it count... Looking at you Jekka.

GO Catters

Seeing Mannagh taken at 36 or whatever, you can see why Jai Chalcraft was long shot to get a rookie pick.
Mannagh just that next step above and while not a knock on Jai... there is a difference there - I was backing Jai to be a Rookie pick for us at one point.

Tough game and a rememinder to those that make it to make it count... Looking at you Jekka.

GO Catters
If you're sub 180cm you need to have some tricks or some unique traits to make it imo. Mannagh i think has that. Speed, class, goal sense and ball winning ability.

Boomer Harvey had it.
Caleb Daniel does.
Nick Watson does.

I'm not knocking Chalcraft but he's one of those types who gives he all but he doesn't have any attributes to succeed at AFL imo.

Vert good VFL standard player.

I think the unmeasured metric is how much you value your own development system versus how much you value the individuals accountability for their own development.

I think if you rate how players develop elsewhere highly then you're valuing individual accountability for their own career outcomes ahead of other factors.

It also helps to build a sustainable culture of leadership if you're continuously feeding highly motivated people into it ahead of naturally skilled people.

We seem to target guys proported to have "leadership" credentials

Another thing is how exceptional (Phyiscal, kicking consistancy, reading the play etc) does a player have to be to be a long term role player at AFL level.

How much is Z.Guthrie for example better than in those three than a generalist top end SANFL/WAFL/VFL player.

We seem to target guys proported to have "leadership" credentials

Another thing is how exceptional (Phyiscal, kicking consistancy, reading the play etc) does a player have to be to be a long term role player at AFL level.

How much is Z.Guthrie for example better than in those three than a generalist top end SANFL/WAFL/VFL player.
As a starting base Zuth would have few attributes other than determination. Now, he has more than most

We should have a more competitive VFL side.

Have we picked up any from other clubs? Anyone know?

2024 thread can be found here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back