Recruiting AFLW Draft, Trade & Sign - 25 players re-signed, list is full, won't be drafting anyone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I right in thinking there's a mechanism to add players in the event of injury?
I think so? They mentioned injury replacement players throughout the night

Early thoughts on our haul as a whole CrowdedHouse? Have a few good key position players it seems

I'd rate our drafting a B to B+.

Quality of footballers is good, but we didn't take a pure ruck which we badly needed (like Collingwood's Sarah King), and a quality, experienced small-mid sized defender, like Grace Buchan of the Southern Saints. Felt our overall list might have been a little too attack heavy, when Defence wins flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality of footballers is good, but we didn't take a pure ruck which we badly needed (like Collingwood's Sarah King), and a quality, experienced small-mid sized defender, like Grace Buchan of the Southern Saints. Felt our overall list might have been a little too attack heavy, when Defence wins flags.
I thought Steph Wales was a ruck?

Bloody Dodoro. I believe the saying is "Offence sells memberships, defence wins premierships." Typical Essendon prioritie$.

Harmit Singh's review of the AFLW draft:
Essendon AFLW recruiting manager Harmit Singh said it was an exciting night for the club and he looks forward to welcoming the seven new Bombers.

“It’s been a really positive night and for us, it helps us close up out our list of 30 players for our inaugural season,” Singh said.

“We had a really clear plan in bringing in the best available talent early in the pool and we have added some really quality talent. Credit to our list and recruiting team who have been able to pull it together.

While we have bought in seven quality football, I think their characters are really strong and they will help set the standards for our inaugural season.”

One of the VFLW side's strengths has been its defensive work yet looking at the VFLW team line-up, it looks like Essendon goes into the AFLW with only one of those defenders on its list.

Just a thought.

With Maddy Prespakis, Bonnie Toogood and Sophie Alexander being names/faces in the pre-draft publicity surrounding our own AFLW team, and with Georgia Nanscawen as a possible inaugural Essendon AFLW captain, it appears that this quartet will be the first ever Essendon AFLW leadership team.

Key dates and more expansion concessions announced today. I've highlighted the most relevant bits in red.

AFL and AFLPA finalise terms for player movement period ahead of AFLW season

The AFL and AFLPA are pleased to announce that a Heads of Agreement (HOA) has been reached for the player movement period ahead of the 2023 AFLW Season (Season Eight).

Clubs and players were contacted today with a summary of the arrangements for a ‘Priority Signing Period’ as determined by the AFL.

Clubs and players also communicated a ‘Sign and Trade Period’ that will take place as a new CBA is being negotiated between the AFL and AFLPA.

KEY DATES
  • Priority Signing Period (PSP): 1 March (9am) – 8 March (2pm)
  • Sign and Trade Period: 10 March (9am) – 20 March (3pm)
Priority Signing Period

The Priority Signing Period (PSP) will allow the four AFLW Season Seven expansion clubs – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and the Sydney Swans – to sign ‘PSP players’ without a trade.

‘PSP players’ are those who have completed three or more AFLW seasons.

Essendon will be permitted to sign up to two players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

Hawthorn will be permitted to sign up to three players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

Port Adelaide will be granted two additional list spots for Season Eight. They will be permitted to sign up to three players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP. They will be permitted to sign one underage player during the PSP.

Sydney Swans will be granted three additional list spots for Season Eight, reducing to for two for Season Nine. They will be permitted to sign up to five players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

The Sydney Swans were also offered the ability to offer a longer-term contract with an additional two seasons more than allowed in the Season Eight list rules for two players. They are also permitted to offer a longer-term contract with an additional one season more than allowed in Season Eight list rules for three players.

The number of PSP players a club can lose is capped and based on their finishing position post-finals in Season Seven:
  • Clubs that finished 1st – 4th: no more than five players able to be lost through PSP
  • Clubs that finished 5th – 8th: no more than two players able to be lost through PSP
  • Clubs that finished 9th – 18th: no more than one player able to be lost through PSP
The AFLW List committee will determine any relevant compensation for clubs at the conclusion of the PSP.

Compensation will include draft picks to be used in the AFLW Draft leading into Season Nine of the AFLW. Any compensation will not be permitted to be traded in the Sign and Trade Period.

Sign and Trade Period

The sign and trade period will open at Friday 10 March at 9am and close at Monday 20 March at 3pm.

Clubs will pay players the pay rates from the existing CBA, with any potential changes applied retrospectively according to the ongoing CBA negotiations.
  • Tier 1 players will receive $71,935
  • Tier 2 players will receive $55,559
  • Tier 3 players will receive $47,372
  • Tier 4 players will receive $39,184
Clubs will not have to make a minimum number of list changes in the sign and trade period.

Further information regarding detailed timelines will be forthcoming.

AFL General Manager Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said: “We’re pleased that we could reach an agreement with the AFLPA and provide our players and clubs with certainty before the next season of AFLW.”

AFLPA General Manager Player and Stakeholder Relations Brett Murphy said: “This agreement will provide certainty and security for players as we head towards Season Eight, enabling players and clubs to reach agreement and plan their return to training while broader CBA discussions remain ongoing.”

Our first season last year was officially Season 7, and whatever compensation picks are provided will be for the draft after Season 8 is played. So it seems there will be no proper draft before Season 8 (there's been rumours of an overage draft instead, so this probably confirms that).

I'm not sure if PSP players can be poached from other expansion clubs. One would think not, but the way it's worded isn't clear. If they can be poached then the maximum we can lose is 1 player, while we can bring in two, and the compensation picks can't be traded this off-season, which raises the possibility that compensation picks may well be removed if clubs over-perform even after losing players.

There's no minimum 3 changes, no proper draft, the tiers aren't changing, and unlike the other expansion clubs we aren't getting extra list spots or the ability to offer long-term contracts, so it will probably be harder to bring players in because everyone will be hell-bent on retaining the players they already have, and whoever they lose would most likely prefer to play for a club offering long-term contracts or a higher tier than what they're already on.

Cross your fingers I guess. We. Are. Essendon. or something...

And looking outside of ourselves for a moment, it's nice that the best teams in the comp can theoretically lose five players each, and even the crappy ones around or below us on the ladder can lose a good player each without gaining any :laughv1: Some of them are pretty salty about that 🧂

Key dates and more expansion concessions announced today. I've highlighted the most relevant bits in red.

Our first season last year was officially Season 7, and whatever compensation picks are provided will be for the draft after Season 8 is played. So it seems there will be no proper draft before Season 8 (there's been rumours of an overage draft instead, so this probably confirms that).

I'm not sure if PSP players can be poached from other expansion clubs. One would think not, but the way it's worded isn't clear. If they can be poached then the maximum we can lose is 1 player, while we can bring in two, and the compensation picks can't be traded this off-season, which raises the possibility that compensation picks may well be removed if clubs over-perform even after losing players.

There's no minimum 3 changes, no proper draft, the tiers aren't changing, and unlike the other expansion clubs we aren't getting extra list spots or the ability to offer long-term contracts, so it will probably be harder to bring players in because everyone will be hell-bent on retaining the players they already have, and whoever they lose would most likely prefer to play for a club offering long-term contracts or a higher tier than what they're already on.

Cross your fingers I guess. We. Are. Essendon. or something...

And looking outside of ourselves for a moment, it's nice that the best teams in the comp can theoretically lose five players each, and even the crappy ones around or below us on the ladder can lose a good player each without gaining any :laughv1: Some of them are pretty salty about that 🧂

The expansion clubs can gain players through the priority period but won’t lose any that way.

The 14 remaining clubs have limits on the number of players they can lose via PSP:

• Clubs that finished 1-4 post-finals (Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, North Melbourne): no more than five players
  • Clubs that finished 5th-8th post-finals (Collingwood, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Geelong): no more than twoplayers
  • Clubs that finished 9th-18th (Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle, St Kilda, Carlton, West Coast); no more than one player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back