Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Brianna Green ACL. Freo down to 24 or 25 fit players unless some start coming back.
McGuire obvious in for Barr. Haynes played well in the Jan Cooper cup, but not sure who she replaces.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Brianna Green ACL. Freo down to 24 or 25 fit players unless some start coming back.
McGuire obvious in for Barr. Haynes played well in the Jan Cooper cup, but not sure who she replaces.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Is she the one that was injured for almost all of last season too?

Very unlucky.

Is it just me, or are the ladies more injury prone? Isn't that about the third ACL in the AFLW this week?

Is it just me, or are the ladies more injury prone? Isn't that about the third ACL in the AFLW this week?

Anywhere from twice as likely to 8 times as likely to do their ACL compared to male athletes apparently.

A combo of different anatomy and biomechanics as well as hormonal effects from the menstrual cycle.

Makes me wonder if Women's training could be modified in line with their cycle to reduce knee injuries.
They already have. Sorry I can't find the article, but they were talking about this about mid-through last season's competition.

Anywhere from twice as likely to 8 times as likely to do their ACL compared to male athletes apparently.

A combo of different anatomy and biomechanics as well as hormonal effects from the menstrual cycle.

Best way to prevent ACL issues, all ground conditions being equal is upper leg (quad) strength and knee stability.

I’ve done an ACL and PCL and recovery was all about strengthening the muscles that support the knee.

Not sure by the muscle definition in the women’s upper leg muscles whether that’s been a core issue.

Trick is they are effectively amateurs thrown into a professional environment. May not have had the time to develop the muscle strength that might reduce likelihood Of ACL injury.

Just my 3 bits worth!

Last edited:
Just a note about the players not playing Saturday. A bunch of the fit, but not picked players got to play in the Jan Cooper cup (comp for the WA development squads). Haynes, McAuliffe and McGuire played in 1 that I saw. Haynes a class above, McGuire looked classy when she got it, McAuliffe was just meh. Dont know who played the other game. There is another set of games next week, and another a couple of weeks after that.

Players not selected getting a chance to play is a step up from the situation last year.
McGuire tends to be a bit lazy, and has been told to work harder but she is such a natural footballer. Freo have told the development squad that she has to play CHF.

McAuliffe is super athletic and Freo want her playing CHB and rucking. Smooth mover but not great kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game, they are definitely improving, and doesn't McGuire make a difference
Exciting when shes got it. Lazy when she doesn't... If she gets fit, will be a star.

All of a sudden Freo, aren't so shithouse after all. Even with only 24 players available.

You can eliminate Melb from that list based on the look of them so far today. Bris are a level above them.
Hard to assess Brisbane. Carlton are rubbish and made them look good. They did beat Adelaide in round 1 but they were well below par until this week so I'm not sure it says much.

Melbourne looked amazing the past two weeks but struggled with the pressure Freo applied today - were they bad or did we make them look bad? We won the clearances 28 to 11 against supposedly the best midfield in AFLW (and this when we lost hitouts 35 to 18). If we'd stop bombing the ball inside 50 (or out of d50) I could see us hitting the scoreboard far more often. Only 2 marks inside 50 (vs 11 for Melbourne) and far less inside 50s overall (24 vs 34) is a bit concerning - and we've struggled a bit in these areas in all 3 games. Brisbane will be tough (unlikely) to win but we said the same about Melbourne last week.

Hard to assess Brisbane. Carlton are rubbish and made them look good. They did beat Adelaide in round 1 but they were well below par until this week so I'm not sure it says much.

Melbourne looked amazing the past two weeks but struggled with the pressure Freo applied today - were they bad or did we make them look bad? We won the clearances 28 to 11 against supposedly the best midfield in AFLW (and this when we lost hitouts 35 to 18). If we'd stop bombing the ball inside 50 (or out of d50) I could see us hitting the scoreboard far more often. Only 2 marks inside 50 (vs 11 for Melbourne) and far less inside 50s overall (24 vs 34) is a bit concerning - and we've struggled a bit in these areas in all 3 games. Brisbane will be tough (unlikely) to win but we said the same about Melbourne last week.

Melbourne would have looked much better if they had taken their chances in the first quarter. We were lucky not to be as far down as we were in round 1. Hopefully we can start strongly next week.
I do like Webb. For someone who has played a year before joining AFLW, she certainly seems to know how to find the ball.

Brilliant gutsy performance! Melbourne missed chances in Q1 but they still had chances to win in the fourth and the defence held firm.
Good efficiency up forward, McGuire just brilliant, and an even spread across the field. Dominant around stoppages helped us get back into the game, and then to hang with them throughout. Donnellan and Webb superb again.

Chance to knock off the new top-of-the-ladder next week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back