Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought i was the only one with this same feeling. Now lets go back to their inaugural training session. I was actually expecting a good number of people to show up to cheer them on. But unfortunately i was only one of a handful of people there. And by handful i mean no more than 5 people.
I continued to support them at every training session since (only missed a couple) and filmed most sessions, but the numbers were still the same except on only one occasion.
So yeah, i know where your coming from. A bit of rain is forecast for Sunday aswell. Either way, i'm hoping for a good turnout.
I bit the bullet and got the Freo women's membership. Package arrived today of cap and scarf, as an apology for the delay in the membership pack due to unexpected demand.

So hopefully that's a sign of high demand, and not just low expectations on Freo's part.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I bit the bullet and got the Freo women's membership. Package arrived today of cap and scarf, as an apology for the delay in the membership pack due to unexpected demand.

So hopefully that's a sign of high demand, and not just low expectations on Freo's part.

I received my AFLW pack a week ago, but still waiting on the certificate.
But as far as the Freo women's membership numbers go, they have hit over 1200 members. Lets hope it continues.

I must say I am surprised with the level of support the Freo Womens team is receiving.

I don't think it will ever appeal to me. And so I like to say good work to everyone who is supporting, every person who tunes in/attends will help the future of the league. Its a long road ahead and it important that people stick long term because I'm guessing the AFL will be subsidising for the next 10+ years.

There were prob im guessing 500 maybe a bit more freo fans in the ground and that was at whitten oval so i dont think u will have to much problems getting a good crowd on sunday
That was in Vic. Personally doubt they will fill the ground. I am thinking 5k and a half empty stadium.

That was in Vic. Personally doubt they will fill the ground. I am thinking 5k and a half empty stadium.

Well i wasnt expecting hardly any freo fans here so thought that would be positive signs, overheard some had flown over for the match

Does anyone get the feeling WA is not quite as much behind the AFLW as other states? TV viewers in WA well behind the figures in SA.

I am worried that the WA crowd will be the first crowd to disappoint if people make predictions based on Vic and SA.

Hope I am wrong.

The coverage in the Hun is 1000x what the West has provided. (Maybe because Mike Sheehan's daughter is on a list!) The VFL and SANFL have women's comps and link it on their websites. The football administration in those states embrace it as it it an easy growth area.

In WA it is totally different. Most WAFL clubs are indifferent at best, even though they have "teams" they are in name only. Grassroots WA womens footy get minimal support. The WAFL has no interest in promoting womens footy.

When the media and the league don't want to promote the game it will struggle.

The hope is AFLW will trickle down interest and support.

The coverage in the Hun is 1000x what the West has provided. (Maybe because Mike Sheehan's daughter is on a list!) The VFL and SANFL have women's comps and link it on their websites. The football administration in those states embrace it as it it an easy growth area.

In WA it is totally different. Most WAFL clubs are indifferent at best, even though they have "teams" they are in name only. Grassroots WA womens footy get minimal support. The WAFL has no interest in promoting womens footy.

When the media and the league don't want to promote the game it will struggle.

The hope is AFLW will trickle down interest and support.
Rather sad to read my old home state doesn't seem to care much about womens footy its really captured the imagination here in melb.

Guess ill be happy if 2000 turn out sunday which is quite sad :(

Very important game this week for the Freo Women's Team. Really want to get behind them but I am just not sure how long the public's patience will last when their team scores 1 goal for the match. Here's hoping the game is close (no matter who wins) and both teams score at least a few goals each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a good match. I was cheering so hard for loser to not score 1 goal :) to shut the haters up. Good crowd again. I was so intersted to see if the hype from last week died down. Obviously not and im glad. AFLW is here to stay so let embrace it and help it grow. Go freo on sunday. Hope some of youbare going down

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems Adelaide are a threat after all. Didn't really rate them.

I thought the Bullies didn't know what to do once they failed to take their chances. They were the better side but behind on the scoreboard (like Freo in the 1st half last week). It seemed as though they have little knowledge of how to work into a game once they have fallen behind. Maybe a result of a lot of the girls playing 90% of games where they have little pressure?

I thought the Bullies didn't know what to do once they failed to take their chances. They were the better side but behind on the scoreboard (like Freo in the 1st half last week). It seemed as though they have little knowledge of how to work into a game once they have fallen behind. Maybe a result of a lot of the girls playing 90% of games where they have little pressure?
I think even the good players are not used to adjusting gamestyles or controlling tempo to work back into a match. Its the ammo mindset of, you play your game, they play theirs, best team wins.

Even in the AFL, its the experienced players and on field generals that control that, and the AFLW at this point do not have them.

There are very few sports where women get bigger crowds than men. Beach Volleyball is probably one, and in that sport women probably get paid more.

You gotta realise that there isn't some bloke in an office tower somewhere watching every female sporting event and deciding how much they will get paid as a result. Pay is based on popularity, and men's sport is much more popular. Money doesn't grow on trees. The money that sportspeople get paid comes directly from the people who pay to go and watch, and who watch it on TV.

The reason soccer players get paid 40 times that of AFL players isn't because soccer players are better at their sport or soccer players try harder or soccer is a better game. The reason is that soccer is vastly more popular and as a result, incomes are bigger across the board.

Spot on. Its just supply and demand. Nothing more sinister.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back