Game Day AFLW ROUND 6 Collingwood v Western Bulldogs Vic Park Sunday 7 Mar, 2.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I smile watching these women. I love how they play. Their skills are improving every year. The kicking has improved out of sight in the last few years. Brisbane away will be a test.

Why is Brisbane away a challenge?
Adelaide in last round will also be tough at Norwood

Just came back from the game. We are so even across all lines, sure there is a standout but they all know their roles.

The second half was very good, marking, kicking to position. Love the way they play.

Parking was nigh on impossible, I got dropped off whilst friend parked and it was a big thumbs up to all the Dad's bringing their young daughters and sons to the game. One Dad was so good, sitting with his 5 year old and explaining the game to her. It was cute.

Was the umpiring as bad as it looked at the ground? We never seem to get the same type of frees or the 50/50's.

Just another thought, Molloy seems to be our enforcer. Against North she gave a nice hip and shoulder off the play to a player who was quite rough and today she gave Doggies No.22 the same treatment as she was giving it to our girls off the ball.

Also loved Sharni dancing to music before the bounce at the last quarter. Can't see Grundy or any other ruck do that. She is too funny.

Just came back from the game. We are so even across all lines, sure there is a standout but they all know their roles.

The second half was very good, marking, kicking to position. Love the way they play.

Parking was nigh on impossible, I got dropped off whilst friend parked and it was a big thumbs up to all the Dad's bringing their young daughters and sons to the game. One Dad was so good, sitting with his 5 year old and explaining the game to her. It was cute.

Was the umpiring as bad as it looked at the ground? We never seem to get the same type of frees or the 50/50's.
They missed a few for both sides ,all in all umps were ok , these Collingwood ladies are absolutely brilliant to watch
such a well balanced even side with splashes of brilliance in every line , Brianna Davey is a gun.

Some stats.

How good does this look, top of the ladder.

2021-03-07_180218.jpg

Bonnici and Davey highest possession getters in the league.

2021-03-07_180358.jpg

Molloy (kicked a goal in every game to date) equal goal kicking with Phillips (she is a star).

2021-03-07_180721.jpg

Collingwood survived their sternest test of the AFLW season so far and maintained their perfect record with a tough 36-point win over the Western Bulldogs.
Star duo Brianna Davey and Chloe Molloy stood up when it mattered most as the Magpies sent a strong message to their premiership rivals, breaking a finals-like contest wide open during the third quarter.

They piled on four unanswered goals, two of them through Molloy, to set up the 7.9 (51) to 2.3 (15) win at Victoria Park.
The result extended Collingwood's club-record winning streak to six and left the Bulldogs with plenty of work to do if they are to play finals.

"We're happy about the way we're progressing but today's probably a good indication that we're still not nailing four quarters," Magpies coach Steve Symonds said.
"We've got a lot of growth to do and I keep on saying we're a developing team, but we truly are.
"We're still learning a little bit about the game and about ourselves, but we're excited about what we're trying to do and where we're trying to go."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another thought, Molloy seems to be our enforcer. Against North she gave a nice hip and shoulder off the play to a player who was quite rough and today she gave Doggies No.22 the same treatment as she was giving it to our girls off the ball.

Also loved Sharni dancing to music before the bounce at the last quarter. Can't see Grundy or any other ruck do that. She is too funny.
Love watching Sharni run with the ball , i worry about her doing a Bambi ,Bambi should definitely be her nickname.
tenor (5)trdjjdt.gif

I hope they come up early and some how get used to the humidity here.
Maybe train down the goldy at Southport Sharks and enjoy the beaches at Burleigh Heads etc.
We beat Brisbane March 2020 in Brisbane, so its not like we can't do it. We're better than we were then, but seems they like they are better than what they were in 2020.

She does have a very unorthodox kicking action but it works.
I loved Sharni on the bounce with Dunstall and Frawley.
I hope she is still on this year.
But I had my doubts about her change of career from netball to AFL.
Very distinctly different sports played on completely different fields, with completely different contact rules.
But despite looking like a giraffe, with splayed legs, when she runs, she has applied herself to the change of code like no other player I can name.
From such an awkward 2019, to AA 2020. That’s a huge effort and hasn’t really been acknowledged.
Her competitive streak runs deep, despite the dancing...

An interesting thing about the women's footy is that, because it's viewed as only partly professional and development-focused, the women have a lot more scope to express themselves - talking/joking with their opponents, going ape after kicking a goal. And it hasn't compromised their ability to go in hard..... some of them are a bit tentative and lack a bit of confidence about how to do it, but mostly you cant question their physical commitment. Also, I've watched quite a few games now that I have seen very little argy-bargy. The focus is the ball. And another positive is that when a team is losing, it keeps persisting. And at the end of the game, you can see they value their opponents. It's a great advertisement for good sportsmanship.

I must admit on a personal level, that the team winning and losing is not as important to me, and it has given me an opportunity to just enjoy the game. It's a bit like the VFL or the reserves in the old days. I'm not sure how they are going to squeeze em in, but I think the women deserve to play each other once in the home and away to at least nominally make the premiership more legit.

From such an awkward 2019, to AA 2020. That’s a huge effort and hasn’t really been acknowledged.
Her competitive streak runs deep, despite the dancing...

Absolutely, well said. She looked absolutely hopeless in 2019, comically bad. NFI. She is not just about the best ruck in the AFLW, and is pretty handy up forward. An amazing

I've been all in on the AFLW since the start, but our side playing such outstanding footy this season is some pretty sweet icing on the cake.

The two biggest overall improvements I've seen since the league started are the kicking and tactics. Season one saw so many players grab it and basically try to boot it forward into space, with some pretty terrible results at times.

This year, our side has such a clear and beautifully executed running game. Our defence is set up so well and we are a menace on the rebound. The footskills have improved tenfold and the players all seem to be on the same page tactically, so they are able to overwhelm the opposition with counterattack after counterattack.

Also can't underestimate the influence of Davey as a leader. She's such a gun player and a physical force through the middle. Great call for her to share captaincy with Chiocci. Thanks Carlton!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back