Autopsy After a slow start a swarm of Swans crush Carlton by 52.

Remove this Banner Ad

we had several great performances tonight
grundy, mclean, blakey, rowbottom, melican were outstanding ... gulden, wicks, cunningham, mcinerney, jordon all played well, papley was better, i thought florent was way better than the gameday thread suggested, francis was solid, amartey continues to improve, and even an out-of-touch mcdonald contributed ...
yes, warner/heeney or heeney/warner for votes but this is a really, really good side
and they can stick their injury whinges, we gave them a four-goal start and held them to four goals after quarter time
we conceded 33 points in the first quarter and 32 after that ... they weren't missing that many game-changing players, and they were dismantled and outclassed
this was very much a statement win
And I think that turnaround and subsequent winning margin will really mess with the heads of the rest of the comp now. It was pretty phenomenal.

And I think that turnaround and subsequent winning margin will really mess with the heads of the rest of the comp now. It was pretty phenomenal.

there was an arrogance about it, but not in a concerning way ... more that they love playing like that, and so assuredly know they can play like that, and intend on continuing to do so
warner, obviously, but heeney, gulden, mcinerney, mclean and others are playing with real swagger, and with good reason
as has been posted in several threads across the season, grundy is a huge reason, he has a presence that is lifting the midfield around him ... he was enormous tonight, his second efforts create so much space for the mids around him, and his tackling is relentless for a ruck

We simply ran them off their feet, they were spent walking off at half time. Atmosphere was electric as Warner lit up the SCG.

I really think this year is all about speed, the faster the team the better the team. At this stage no one can catch us and that is why…..

I like fast players.

Pretty scary you have the luxury of hiding McDonald up in that forward line where he provides a miserly 2 points out of 117 tonight. I think McClean and Amartey are providing far better value atm. The other scary part is having Mills, Parker, Roberts and McCartin to come back in at some time also. Hope the Fox injury is not too bad. He is a fantastic role player like Melican and Cunningham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the biggest Gary Lyon fan but good to see him changing the narrative, ie: not mentioning Carlton’s ‘injury’ list and instead mentions the no Tom McCartin vs McKay & Curnow scenario.. slightly refreshing
Lyon is generally pretty good, especially in relation to the buffoons he is paired with

A really solid effort. Good to be able to stem the flow early and hit the scoreboard quickly. Still loose in front of goal. We seem to butcher some seemingly simple set shots.

Overwhelmed Carlton and Curnow had to be their everywhere man to be competitive and he couldn't be in 4 places at once.

Still crazy to think we have Mills, TMac and Parks to come in somehow.

Should really be undefeated but as someone said happy for the points to go to charity then a competitor.

We were far from perfect tonight so it was also refreshing to hear the players still bang on about getting better, we can play better than this for sure.

Last edited:
Having mids having to kick a tonne of goals is still not sustainable imo

McDonald and Amartey butchered some really good chances and need to get better

If that changes there is no other side that will come close

Having mids having to kick a tonne of goals is still not sustainable imo

McDonald and Amartey butchered some really good chances and need to get better

If that changes there is no other side that will come close

Surely having scores coming from multiple sources is more sustainable than from one source?

I genuinely think our 2024 best 22 is better than our 2014 best 22. Our 2024 is a much more dynamic team that is capable of changing mid game in order to adapt to the opposition and eventually beat them with clinical ball movement.

I think if our 2014 and 2024 teams played each other the 2024 team would run rings around the 2014 team.

Geez, Heeney can’t take any more punishment on that ankle. I hope he’ll be alright.
I think from mid point of that 1st quarter we outscored them
95-15 or something up to 3qtr time.

This team is really coming to fruition especially if we can respond like we do when challenged from the players to the coaching box.

That was ****en unbelievable! Curnow and McKay and Walsh and McGovern and whoever else went as hard as they could for 10 minutes at the start of the game. We said “**** that” and double downed for the next three and a half quarters to rip them all new arseholes. Chad and Heeney were crazy good supported by almost all other foot soldiers including the insane Rowbottom intensity machine. Wow. Loved being out there live with 44k other fans. Brilliant.

Great win given how bad the start was, hope this gives confidence that even in a gf if we went 4 goals down we can find a way.

The massive thing for me which I keep saying is the depth, I heard once or twice tonight Carlton have injuries but half of them wouldn't even get a game in our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back