Autopsy After a slow start a swarm of Swans crush Carlton by 52.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is getting tired. People need to get over the idea of our three talls kicking bags of 4-5. They might not ever be like that and it’s ok. This is our style and it’s working beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a plan and have all bought in, watch how excited they get when for each other when they kick a goal…..seriously questioning this setup is either just being stubborn or not quite seeing what is there right now.

We lost to Richmond the week before, had off field issues going on and it looked like the wheels were falling off.

I may have thrown all the toys out of my cot after the Richmond game.
I am now thinking that Richmond loss is now a big key to stop them getting ahead of themselves, it is a critical loss in a very positive sense.

We've got 6 in our current team too. The start of next season we may have 8 if Blakey and Warner can join the group.
Think he meant that were selected in the 2014 AA side. And it was 4 in the side and 5 in the squad.

Atm I would say we have 2 in the side and 5 in the squad

Think he meant that were selected in the 2014 AA side. And it was 4 in the side and 5 in the squad.

Atm I would say we have 2 in the side and 5 in the squad
Ah yep, my bad.

Edit: Actually we only had 4 in the final team that year, so maybe he did mean total guernsey's ?

Am absolute team goal. 5 players involved and each one just as important!

Love seeing Grundy in full stride to get that second touch.
Gotta say that I've been a little disappointed in what he's brought to the table. While clearly a big improvement on what we've had over the last few seasons, his seemingly lackadaisical contributions in other parts of the ground, had me longing for the full-of-zest Brodie that I loved about him in his B&F days at Collingwood.
He may well be adding some philosophical perspective about the game to some of our younger crew, but I can't help but think he is beginning to be infected by the hunger, drive and commitment they have. Last few weeks he has begun popping up in random places all over the ground to make contributions which just adds another string to our high-functioning bow.

So true. Our three talls are working well, even when they aren't scoring, they are decoys or getting the ball to ground for our crumbers, like last night when McDonald tapped it to Heeney for goal
I’ve noticed Logan is starting to jump for marks a lot more and is finding himself in the air above the pack. Not catching that many so far but it will come.

I remember Heeneys first year, he was flying for hangers all over the ground and missing most of them. A lot on this board was of the view he needed to pull his head in a little, but I’m glad he didn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT gets confused about who plays for us

Mark Fine noticed BT thought Cunningham was Brad Seymour at one stage.
Yep, I commented about that in the match thread. About 30 secs in he sees a Swan wearing no. 7 and calls him Seymour. My first thought was maybe BT is starting to battle with something age-related, but he is only 62.

Unbelievable win.

Kinda running out of things to say as almost every week is basically the same two concepts - sticking at it, and everyone playing their role. It feels so repetitive but I really don't know how else to describe our performances. There's an eery consistency between them all that feels unlike anything we've had before. There's not that sense of "good to win ugly", or "phew that was a close one!" or "thank god we had (insert star player) to get us over the line."

It's just great, hard, coherent and confident footy, every half, every week. Making every opponent we face - even strong ones - look lost at sea. There will be a time we fail to deliver that and the instinct might be to panic or feel the doom & gloom when that time comes, but these first ten weeks should be reason enough for us to avoid falling into that trap. We really have set the season up incredibly.

Ps. I have zero time for any media discussion of our midfield that does not begin with the name James Rowbottom.

GO BLOODS

confident was the key word for me, they just kept backing themselves

Last edited:
Yep, I commented about that in the match thread. About 30 secs in he sees a Swan wearing no. 7 and calls him Seymour. My first thought was maybe BT is starting to battle with something age-related, but he is only 62.

oh yeah ... he's becoming the donald trump of callers, more and more he just says aimless vague random often meaningless or irrelevant stuff ... or he just goes silent, like he's lost for words

All this talk about the Swans is just disrespectful.

What about all Carlton’s injuries? And the need to travel interstate? Not to mention the challenge of having to play on a ground the size of a postage stamp.

I think we really need to focus on what the AFL can do to help Carlton and the other struggling Vic teams.

All this talk about the Swans is just disrespectful.

What about all Carlton’s injuries? And the need to travel interstate? Not to mention the challenge of having to play on a ground the size of a postage stamp.

I think we really need to focus on what the AFL can do to help Carlton and the other struggling Vic teams.
#JusticeForCarlton

The impact of Grundy can not be understated from his tap work to the ground ball efforts, it makes Sydney a much more complete side.
JJ did another stellar tagging job, this time on Sam Walsh.

Last edited:
A lot of Carlton supporters are bemoaning their 'brutal' fixture over the last 6 weeks. Last night was the first time they have travelled since round 4 - and that's including an 'away' game against the cats at the MCG.
Meanwhile fresh off our trip to Perth last week we're on a plane to Melbourne again next week on a 6 day break.

Honestly couldn't blame the team if we have a bit of a down performance this week. They've given everything they could over the first 10 rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back