Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

People might still think Naitanui is more valuable than Watts but it's not as clear cut as it once was, Watts has closed the gap the last few years.

I don't think there would be many people now saying that Melbourne made a massive blunder taking Watts even if they still think Naitanui is better.
I actually rate Watts more than Natanui. I think Watts has more strings to his bow and to be really honest, I've always found Nic to be a bit overrated. Good player though. Just my opinion.

Hardwick took a basket case of a team to finals in his third year as coach, if he can do that with the spuds he had Richardson should be getting far better results with the list he has at his disposal.

Hardwick took a basket case of a team to finals in his third year as coach, if he can do that with the spuds he had Richardson should be getting far better results with the list he has at his disposal.

Beveridge took a club that had lost its captain, coach and a host of senior players and won a flag in two seasons.

Richardson has had years with an ok list and st kilda's GOAT but hasn't got close.

How they wish Beveridge didn't leave before he could take up that role holding Richardson's hand

Beveridge took a club that had lost its captain, coach and a host of senior players and won a flag in two seasons.

Richardson has had years with an ok list and st kilda's GOAT but hasn't got close.

How they wish Beveridge didn't leave before he could take up that role holding Richardson's hand
Comeparing with St Kilda. Lol.

If it makes you happy then so be it :)

One of those Monday night football shows (forgotten which one) put forward the view that there are no A graders Saints list. If you accept Reiwoldt no longer holds that mantle, then its a reasonable argument
Agreed.

We've got the sponge, just need the cream.

I'd argue that Steven & Ross are our A graders but nothing to brag about.

gotta say mate - your obsession with the Saints is a tad unhealthy.

Respect to Beveridge yep, your penchant for continued cheap shots is a sad/

There won't be any pressure because the Saints have been rubbish for ages.
Trust a North Melbourne supporter to try have a crack. Worry about your own rabble of a club, you won't win another game this year and finish with 12 consecutive losses. And just to top it off, none of your big name targets will come and you'll end up spending $3m on a spud like Jasper Pittard before eventually pissing off to Tasmania. Enjoy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trust a North Melbourne supporter to try have a crack. Worry about your own rabble of a club, you won't win another game this year and finish with 12 consecutive losses. And just to top it off, none of your big name targets will come and you'll end up spending $3m on a spud like Jasper Pittard before eventually pissing off to Tasmania. Enjoy

Don't be so defensive

Kind of undersells the amount of underrated talent we acquired and had to develop in those 3 straight drafts.

They can still make finals this year, I'd wait until the end of the season before passing serious judgement.

Riewoldt needs to retire though. He's been a champion but is clearly cooked this year.
You have no idea mate, come on. Hasn't been at the consistent and ridiculous levels that he has been in previous years but to says he's cooked is just stupid. Has still been serviceable at the absolute minimum, whilst having other games of brilliance ie. games against Melbourne, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Richmond

Have only seen richo on that show with the effeminate equine nosed bloke, and that sweaty blubbering illiterate. He shows no charisma or smart insight, as bland as bath water. He may be a nice chap but I cant see how he can take his boys to the promised land, unless said promised land is that dire anglo celtic fish and chipper next to moorabbin station.

I think Saints list is where it should be at, on the cusp of finals but not ready to have a real run at it. Most of there early picks are far from there prime in Billings, Gresham, Mcartin and with the 2 first rounders i recon there window will be from next year onwards. If they can get Kelly or Dusty they will be competing for top 4.

This thread makes me think back to the thread on a coaches first 4 years.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/coaches-the-4-year-rule.1140389/

Looks like Richardson would now need to defy history. No coach has missed finals in his first 4 years, then gone on to coach a Premiership.

remember Mark Thompson being very close to getting the sack; pressure on Richo is fair but should come next year not this. He is playing kids like Battle, Marshall etc and the list is developing

New-look team this week without Riewoldt and Montagna. Average age 23.99, fourth-youngest St.Kilda team since 2004.

Others were 2015 R3-5

R3 v Co lost by 74
R4 v Ca lost by 40
R5 v Es lost by 2

Conceding 1.8 years per player to Port on their home deck... would be a monumental effort for the Saints to win.

New-look team this week without Riewoldt and Montagna. Average age 23.99, fourth-youngest St.Kilda team since 2004.

Others were 2015 R3-5

R3 v Co lost by 74
R4 v Ca lost by 40
R5 v Es lost by 2

Conceding 1.8 years per player to Port on their home deck... would be a monumental effort for the Saints to win.

Good post. Out of curiosity, how do we rank this week against the other round 19* teams in terms of average age?

Given that Joey is unfortunately gone, Gilbert might not be best 22 next year, and Roo (if he goes on) will probably be heavily managed, the team this week is likely to be close to our average age for R1 2018.

Last edited:
Good post. Out of curiosity, how do we rank this week against the other round 18 teams in terms of average age?

Given that Joey is unfortunately gone, Gilbert might not be best 22 next year, and Roo (if he goes on) will probably be heavily managed, the team this week is likely to be close to our average age for R1 2018.

Third youngest.

22.95 Brisbane
23.91-24.45 Gold Coast, St.Kilda, Fremantle, Melbourne, Carlton, GWS, Richmond
24.91-25.19 Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, North Melbourne
25.42-25.79 Adelaide, Sydney, Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Geelong
26.25 West Coast

Biggest age differences for St.Kilda under Richardson:

-2.66 v NM 2016 R7 lost by 7
-2.55 v NM 2016 R19 lost by 23
-2.49 v NM 2015 R20 lost by 37
-2.02 v WC 2017 R2 lost by 19
-2.02 v Fr 2015 R19 lost by 37