Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't have done this preseason or during bye week.
what about October, or November or December or even January?..

Nah week 4 of the new season sounds like a great time.

FFS..

what about October, or November or December or even January?..

Nah week 4 of the new season sounds like a great time.

FFS..

Oct = trade, Nov = draft, Dec = xmas, Jan = pre-season

Afl doesn't want this to tarnish these imporant event in case of going pear shaped.

Oct = trade, Nov = draft, Dec = xmas, Jan = pre-season

Afl doesn't want this to tarnish these imporant event in case of going pear shaped.
Nah so tarnish another season for everyone. Awesome 👍

Robinson daring to talk about this a fortnight after he called Phil Krakouer a liar to protect Essendon and Sheeds.

Stomach churning hypocrisy.

Of course not. Do it right before our marqee game for the year in the hope we stuff it up so they have a reason to take it off us.

You do know this has nothing to do with AFL right?

You do know this has nothing to do with AFL right?
I do but if, as a result of this it effects Alistair/the players and we stuff up Friday and get flogged by Carlton, the flow on is the AFL wiil find any excuse to take the game off is is what I meant.

Last edited:
I do but if, as a result of this it effects Alistair/the players and we stuff up Friday and get floggedby Carlton, the flow on is the AFL wiil find any excuse to take the game off is is what I meant.

No they won't, us v Carlton Good Friday is set in stone now.

www.heraldsun.com.au

Hawks to be urged to apologise at mediation over racism allegations​

Mark Robinson, Michael Warner

4 - 5 minutes

Hawthorn will be urged to apologise and acknowledge that racism took place at the club as part of official mediation starting on Tuesday.
But the prospect of successful conciliation is considered dim, according to one source, because accused former Hawthorn officials Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt have strongly rejected claims of racism made by First Nations players and their partners.
All parties are required to attend the mediation – or send a legal representative – meaning coaches Clarkson and Fagan could come face-to-face with some of their accusers for the first time since the saga erupted.
The Indigenous families at the centre of the scandal will push for Hawthorn to adopt the fabric of Collingwood’s “Do Better” report, and offer a formal apology to all of its past players confronted by racism at the club.
The establishment of a formal “truth-telling” framework, put in place by the Magpies, is also being sought.
Compensation to all affected parties, including the three Hawthorn officials and the Indigenous families, will be central to the negotiations in Melbourne on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The Hawks set aside $1.5 million in their annual report late last year, money earmarked for legal expenses and potential compensation payments.
However, a sticking point over whether a settlement is reached this week could involve the size of the payments and the wording of public statements and proposed apologies.
A Hawthorn spokesman confirmed a club delegation, led by president Andy Gowers and chief executive Ashley Klein, would be present at the talks at an undisclosed location.
“We continue to work in good faith through the Australian Human Rights Commission process and as we have said previously we want to see the matter resolved fairly for everyone involved,” the club said.
But Hawks great Don Scott believes “heads should roll” from the Gowers board if compensation payments are made.
“They’ve set aside $1.5 million and I reckon it’s already cost them that again in legal representation – so somebody has got to fall on their sword,” Scott said.
“Why have they got to pay this money out when the AFL said they have got no case to answer? It’s not their money – it is club and members’ money, but it’s easy to give away when it’s not yours. The Hawthorn members have been hoodwinked.”
Should the talks fail, the racism dispute could be headed to a Federal Court hearing.

North Melbourne’s head of football Todd Viney confirmed on Saturday that Clarkson would be absent from the club this week to attend the talks.
“For a footy preparation point of view, it’s not ideal, but we’ve got a really good staff of people to make sure we can get prepared as best we can,’’ Viney told the ABC.

“The bigger picture is that hopefully it can be put to bed and they can sit down altogether and get a resolution to the long-running saga.’’

Phil Egan, the author of Hawthorn’s Binmada report that triggered the crisis, will not attend the mediation sessions.

The scandal has caused great division at Hawthorn and shattered numerous relationships within the AFL industry.

Gowers was the club’s football director at the time of some of the alleged racial incidents.

Former Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett said last year the fact the Hawthorn board was considering making compensation payments was “absolutely absurd”.

When he says that "Hawthorn will be urged to apologise", does this mean that Clarko, etc, did indeed demonstrate racist behaviour to some players? If not, then what would Hawthorn be apologising for?

When he says that "Hawthorn will be urged to apologise", does this mean that Clarko, etc, did indeed demonstrate racist behaviour to some players? If not, then what would Hawthorn be apologising for?
Eh. This type of thing can become a very, very semantic game where there is no individual explicitly admitting culpability but the organization does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have absolutely no inside knowledge of the situation, but it could also mean that there was an environment that made it reasonable for people to interpret Clarko’ et. al. words and actions as racist. Even if they weren’t racist in themselves.

Some of the complaints related to the executive and board all the way up to the president treating players and families poorly and with no compassion and ignoring genuine cries for help. It's not all about the coaches. And it also wasn't necessarily all racist. Some of it could be described as racially insensitive, or simply regrettably poor treatment of employees and their families. Also, the manner in which the report was conducted and the exposure of families who were promised anonymity. So there's plenty to apologise for without even getting to any racist elements.

Last edited:
Eh. This type of thing can become a very, very semantic game where there is no individual explicitly admitting culpability but the organization does.
If I was an accuser, I wouldn't be swallowing that. Clearly there were certain individuals at Hawthorn at the time who created that environment

The thing is though, it doesn't seem there is too much traction on this segment on afl.com.au, foxfooty, realfooty.

Only heraldsun is front page so this isn't seen as news worthy as the main horses have bolted.

Nothing on news.com.au either.

Was there anything by cowro on monday night footy panel?

Strongly suspect Clarkson will put his hand up and say that he didn't do enough to provide a culturally safe environment at Hawthorn but won't accept being racist towards indigenous players.

That Phil Egan isn't fronting should shame everybody who ever said his "report" and Jackson's subsequent piss poor article (subsequently canned by the best journo in Australia) was enough to drive Clarkson or Fagan from the game.

A few Hawthorn mods/admids owe some bigtime apologies, but I won't be holding my breath there.

It's seems like they way they should have started the whole schmozzle.

I reckon they'll sort it out. There must be some old bonds there and nobody would want to take the next step.
Yeah you would think that it would have been a better course of action.

Hopefully in the next couple of days the aggrieved and Fagan and Clarkson can all reach some sort of peace.

and the Hawthorn football club can burn to the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back