Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard that he has already made massive positive change amongst the whole club. He has ensured that meetings don't take place in the theatrette at the club. He’s moved the whole footy department into the middle of the building because he wants all of club to be able to hear and touch footy, so that meeting is happening in the middle of the office area. Also met with all the support stuff around the club as well as their partners and kids
From what I've heard, that was one of the first things he requested when he started at the club. In order to do this, it required some internal rearrangement, including the removal of some walls. When it looked like this was going to be caught up in admin red tape, he went straight to the Prez and threatened to do what he did at Hawthorn - went into the club after hours with an assistant coach's dad and a couple of sledge hammers. Problem sorted.

He also got the layout changed so he can see everyone coming up the stairs in the morning in order to gauge the mood. When someone pointed out that there is a staircase at the other end of the building that people may start using, there were further sledge hammer related threats.

The times definately are a changin'.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, that was one of the first things he requested when he started at the club. In order to do this, it required some internal rearrangement, including the removal of some walls. When it looked like this was going to be caught up in admin red tape, he went straight to the Prez and threatened to do what he did at Hawthorn - went into the club after hours with an assistant coach's dad and a couple of sledge hammers. Problem sorted.

He also got the layout changed so he can see the everyone coming up the stairs in the morning so he can gauge the mood. When someone pointed out that there is a staircase at the other end of the building that people may start using, there were further sledge hammer related threats.

Awesome.

He also got the layout changed so he can see everyone coming up the stairs in the morning in order to gauge the mood. When someone pointed out that there is a staircase at the other end of the building that people may start using, there were further sledge hammer related threats.

Nice info. You must have a pretty decent source.

Alastair "sledgehammer" Clarkson.

Last edited:

" Clarkson blocks Fire-Exit's at North " !

Exclusive with Cornes & Wilson Footy Classified tonight @9.

Had an interesting chat at a family function on Sunday with someone who is very well connected at Hawthorn (to the point of having seen the entire Hawthorn report).

His take on it is that the report was implemented by Kennett to * over Clarko and there's nothing in the report that Clarko/North should be too concerned about.

Also said we should be thrilled with the addition of Shields, quite a few Hawthorn people were disappointed he wasn't given the captaincy.

He also worked closely with Jen Watt and knows her very well - says we have a ripper in her.

His take on it is that the report was implemented by Kennett to * over Clarko and there's nothing in the report that Clarko/North should be too concerned about.
I heard similar from a good source. Make no mistake, the club feels it was an ambush and is absolutely f***ing fuming about Hawthorn's conduct in this whole matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennett's involvement, or lack thereof, in everything is certainly interesting and there are unanswered questions there, but I just don't get how he could have orchestrated it to attack Clarko unless he got Egan to deliberately fudge the report in multiple ways from the outset. I also don't get what his motive would be, because even if he could handwave away the club's responsibility for everything and pin it on individuals, the smell would still stick.

Slightly more believable if he saw an interim version of the report and then took action to try and massage a desired result, but even then he would still need Egan to make some blatantly unethical moves.

I heard similar from a good source. Make no mistake, the club feels it was an ambush and is absolutely f***ing fuming about Hawthorn's conduct in this whole matter.
Brisbane is seething fwiw.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kennett's involvement, or lack thereof, in everything is certainly interesting and there are unanswered questions there, but I just don't get how he could have orchestrated it to attack Clarko unless he got Egan to deliberately fudge the report in multiple ways from the outset. I also don't get what his motive would be, because even if he could handwave away the club's responsibility for everything and pin it on individuals, the smell would still stick.

Slightly more believable if he saw an interim version of the report and then took action to try and massage a desired result, but even then he would still need Egan to make some blatantly unethical moves.

I’m only going on what I was told.

Perhaps JK had heard that a couple of people were slinging allegations about Clarko so made sure that Egan knew to talk to them or JK made sure those people were aware of the review and encouraged to tell their stories.

Can we send hawthorn to Tasmania?

I don't see how a report that was commissioned after Kennett's racism towards the Riolis managed to avoid mentioning ... Kennett's racism toward the Riolis.

I’m only going on what I was told.

Perhaps JK had heard that a couple of people were slinging allegations about Clarko so made sure that Egan knew to talk to them or JK made sure those people were aware of the review and encouraged to tell their stories.

The Egan report also appears to minimise the role of his relative in all this too.

I don't see how a report that was commissioned after Kennett's racism towards the Riolis managed to avoid mentioning ... Kennett's racism toward the Riolis.
As the report was (supposed) to be a collation of anecdotes Egan collected from past players and staff, my assumption has been that the Rioli's declined to participate. I'm not sure I've seen anything definitive one way or the other regarding that.

What a shock that the period investigated didn't overlap with Kennett's tenures.
The report itself was open ended on period, but with just those 3 highly publicised accusations the investigation and discussion has become hyper focussed on this one narrow period and group of individuals. Which if Kennet did somehow orchestrate, he did quite bloody well.

As the report was (supposed) to be a collation of anecdotes Egan collected from past players and staff, my assumption has been that the Rioli's declined to participate. I'm not sure I've seen anything definitive one way or the other regarding that.

The report itself was open ended on period, but with just those 3 highly publicised accusations the investigation and discussion has become hyper focussed on this one narrow period and group of individuals. Which if Kennet did somehow orchestrate, he did quite bloody well.
He's a complete campaigner, but not politically stupid.

The Riolis were already on the record. He could have mentioned it at some level. The whole thing is just so weird. Down to the multiple fonts lol.

Hawks and Clarkson conclude business with 450K payout​

By Jake Niall

December 6, 2022 — 6.57pm

Hawthorn have reached a final settlement with Alastair Clarkson, paying the four-time premiership coach the $450,000 that he was still owed for his last contract.

Sources familiar with the arrangement said Clarkson had been paid the outstanding amount - the second tranche of his 2022 contract to coach the club - in mid-November, as scheduled.

The Clarkson camp had been concerned that the allegations against Clarkson and fellow Hawthorn officials by First Nations players and their families might lead to the Hawks delaying or withholding his entitlement of $450,000 for the second portion of his $900,000 contract for 2022.

That $450,000 has been included in Hawthorn’s soft cap on football department spending this year, with the club avoiding spreading any further amount into next year’s soft cap. The club at one stage had looked to spread the $900,000 over three years, with about $300,000 counted in 2023’s soft cap, but the Hawks have found room to allocate the final $450,000 into 2022’s football budget.

This payment ends Clarkson’s formal business relationship with the Hawks. He left the club at the end of the 2021 season, as club and coach agreed to expedite his handover of the coaching position to Sam Mitchell 12 months earlier than first agreed.
Hawthorn’s head of legal Nick Holland had contacted Clarkson’s management shortly after his appointment at North, cautioning Clarkson about not violating his contractual obligations - which included not poaching players, staff or sponsors - in what was clearly a shot across the former coach’s bow.

Sources said the call from Hawthorn to Clarkson’s management had been prompted, in part, by Clarkson wearing North Melbourne gear, with the club’s major sponsor Mazda on the polo shirt, at the media conference announcing his appointment. Hawthorn did not object to Clarkson and North hiring Hawks staffer Cam Matthews in the football department.

Clarkson had been barred from beginning as coach at North Melbourne until November, under the terms of his arrangement with Hawthorn. He was subsequently engulfed in the allegations from ex-players and their partners that arose from the cultural safety review commissioned by the club, which is the subject of an AFL investigation.

Clarkson and ex-lieutenant and Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan will participate in the inquiry, along with former welfare manager at Hawthorn Jason Burt, the trio having strenuously denied the allegations and hired separate legal counsel. The AFL appointed a four-member panel, including two Indigenous panellists, to handle the inquiry, which will be chaired by King’s Counsel Bernard Quinn.
Clarkson, despite an initial decision to potentially delay his start as North Melbourne coach due to the AFL investigation, started as coach of the Kangaroos from November 1. He was secured by the Roos on a five-year contract, spurning a late bid from Essendon. The Kangaroos have just signed ex-Hawthorn premiership midfielder Liam Shiels after the veteran was not offered a contract by the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back