All Elite Wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was shafted to try and put over Jinder, what a project that turned out to be. Shows Smackdown have had some equal howlers to Raw

He was pretty much a Jobber to Jinder to try and get him over

What bigger names could AEW sign that will attract the interest of the wider wrestling community (and not just smarks)
AEW needs all the fans and help they can get
Theres still names in WWE that may jump.

Omega is a big name at the moment.

Punk is always a possibility, however unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Again, I hope AEW doesn't chase just ex wwe talent. Independants would be another likely talent pool. Again ven Mexican and Japanese wrestling feds have talent too.
Not if you're a silly old man massively out of touch with what his consumers and talent want. And probably have dickhead Dunn in his ear telling him no one watches NXT.
McMahon might be old, He know how to make money and surrounds himself with smart people.

Kevin dunn is a hated person. I can understand jim cornette losing his s**t. Dunn has made some stupid Ideas. Sadly Vice McMahon listens to him too much
I think it may have been how they rejected NXT going on his cruise, instead it ended up ROH and TNA.

I'm so not sure how I feel about this. I feel a strange loyalty to WWE even though they haven't made overly compelling TV for the most part for a little while. The roster they are putting together is good plus the money involved, TV deal and more people to come over. It's gonna be a war. It already is.

Let's have some fun, who is the NXT main eventer looking to come across worried about his call up to the main roster? And who is the WWE main eventer looking?
Its not a war.
Could be torrents and pirate streams for a good while. WWE will pressure Foxtel to not pick it up and the free-to-air networks won't go out of their way to get a wrestling show. Maybe end up on Stan or Netflix.
WWE did similar tactics with tna in 2010-12

WWE did similar tactics with tna in 2010-12

I remember for a while TNA would have their main event run over into some new show they did right after Impact. But they didn't edit this for overseas markets. You'd watch Impact on Foxtel and the show would simply end with the match still going and the commentators telling you to keep watching :$

You're half right on World Wrestling All-Stars. It started in 2001 to cash-in on WWE never touring Australia and New Zealand and there was plenty of ex-WCW and ex-ECW wrestlers with nothing better to do. It shutdown pretty quickly in 2003 when WWE started doing their own house shows.

The Hulkamania tour was a nostalgia cash-in.

TNA was the only one trying to get WWE level big. The others weren't. Taping six months worth of stuff over a week doesn't make you a rival to WWE anymore than the local Sunday league team is a rival to Essendon.
WCW was doing Tapings 3 months in advance back in the early 1990s. But that was mainly as a cost cutting measure. It worked to a degree. It also gave wrestlers many days off. Unlike the crazy 1980s early 1990s WWF schedule where you wrestle everyday. TNA did like month worth of tapings in a week then have the PPV live.

Bret Hart (who was the on-screen Commissioner) openly said on radio interviews in 2001 that WWA was an alternative for the fans from the WWE.

Roddy Piper says almost the EXACT same thing on the first episode of XWF that was taped in November 2001.

Hulk Hogan said on the microphone AT the Hulkamania tour show in Melbourne that it was only the beginning and did a whole rant about he was coming for Vince-- Brother.

Just because none of these wrestling organisations had weekly television and actually became a rival doesn't mean they weren't wanting to.

Using your analogy AEW is no different than a local Sunday league team at the moment and we shouldn't treat them any differently until they start actually like a professional organisation.
XWF Was also taped in those Same taping areas wcw did in the early 1990s and TNA still do today.
I'm not sure what you are actually trying to complain about??

My statement was that many a wrestling organisation has claimed to challenge the WWE in the past 18 years since WCW folded. You have to agree that both of those instances involved wrestlers making those statements.

It's no different than what Cody, The Bucks, Jericho & Co. did today-- they claimed they are going to revolutionise the industry, but they actually haven't done anything more than any of these other organisations in the past. Yes-- All In was a great one-off show 6 months ago, but as an organisation with No reported TV deal, no reported sponsorship agreements outside of the Khan family, a shallow roster that isn't super appealing to the average fan and poor production values (outside of pyro) they aren't demonstrate they are ready to compete with the WWE either.
Again, AEW don't need o compete with WWE. They just need to sell out 2-3,000 seat arenas and get a tv deal.

Look at TNAs Decline. They were on Spike TV which had access to 81 million homes and Spike as giving them 10 million a year. Then went to Destination America which had access to 51 million homes. Then went to Pop TV which had access to 47 millon homes. Then Pursuit channel which has access to 29 million homes. Pursuit channel has ties with Anthem, Impacts owners.
Shoddy booking means there's a few former WWE and Universal Champions stuck in midcard mediocrity.
Agreed. They pushed Roman Reigns down the fans throats and didn't focus on other talent that the fans liked and WWE is being punished for it.
They will go all in trying to sign styles
and rightfully so.
Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler (defunct World Heavyweight Championship), Finn Bálor, Jinder Mahal, Kevin Owens, Rey Mysterio, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, The Miz. Unless the part-timers and Vince's favourites are all injured these guys are probably never getting another title run.
Most of those blokes would add Value to AEW. Most of those could be good upper card talents with a mid card title reign. Hell if Booked correctly, most of those blokes can be good world champions for 6-12 months if booked well.

A guy like Rey mysterio jr could lure a young support base and a Latino base too, just like he did in WWE.

Edge was a much better character than Christian, I liked Christian but I dunno. Not on Edge's level. They're both weirdos too but I kinda like em.
I think Edge was the better heel but Christian could portray the better face.

The E&C podcast is a whole lot of fun too if anybody hasn't checked it out but would like to.
Always considered Christian one of my favourites. Dumbfounded he isn't in the Hall of Fame yet. Multiple time IC champion, light heavyweight champion, ECW champion, European champion, 2x world heavyweight champion and involved in some of the most important matches in WWE history along with Edge.

I wonder if there would be a role for him in AEW doing something? Would be an excellent heel GM style character or even colour commentator. Depends if they want to run with those sorts of characters on the show though.
Christian wanted to be a main eventer. By 2005 wrestlers who were younger (John Cena, Randy Orton) or had less runs on the board (Batista) were passing him.

This is another thing why I am still scratching my head Christian (Cage) didn't get a long WWE title reign. He did sell a fair bit of Merchandise.

Vince McMahon has done this tactic since the 1980s. If you can sell t shirts/merchandise in the Arena, you are a good chance to get a world title belt. This goes Back to Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior in that Hulkamania era. To Bret hart and Diesel and Undertaker in the New Gen era. To the Rock and Steve Austin in the Attitude era.

And since 2005 onwards: John Cena, Batista, Eddie Guerro, Rey Mysterio (yes partly due to Eddies passing but he sold merch as well ), Edge, Booker T, RVD, CM punk, Jeff Hardy, Jericho.

To be Brutally honest I thought Carlito was going to become world champion too as He got US and IC title reigns and sold shirts a well.

This is another thing why I am still scratching my head Christian (Cage) didn't get a long WWE title reign. He did sell a fair bit of Merchandise.

Vince McMahon has done this tactic since the 1980s. If you can sell t shirts/merchandise in the Arena, you are a good chance to get a world title belt. This goes Back to Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior in that Hulkamania era. To Bret hart and Diesel and Undertaker in the New Gen era. To the Rock and Steve Austin in the Attitude era.

And since 2005 onwards: John Cena, Batista, Eddie Guerro, Rey Mysterio (yes partly due to Eddies passing but he sold merch as well ), Edge, Booker T, RVD, CM punk, Jeff Hardy, Jericho.

To be Brutally honest I thought Carlito was going to become world champion too as He got US and IC title reigns and sold shirts a well.
I thought Carlito at the time was heading towards being Cenas arch enemy for that "era".
Then it kinda ended and then he had 1 to many personal issues.

I thought Carlito at the time was heading towards being Cenas arch enemy for that "era".
Then it kinda ended and then he had 1 to many personal issues.

He beat cena for the US belt on Smackdown in his 1st ever match lost it to cena 42 days later as cena got it back. Carlito got injured with a shoulder injury as carlitos bodyguard Jesus had the title shot vs cena in the 2004 Armageddon ppv.

the Cena vs Carlito feud was done 2 days after the 2005 royal rumble on smackdown after cena beat carlito in the us title match.

He didn't appear at WM 25. got drafted to RAW and won the IC title the 1st night he was on beating Shelton Benjamin on the june 20, 2005 RAW. Had a good 90 day run on it until losing to rick flair at the unforgiven PPV on September 18.

then get got a push to the main event scene at late 2005-early 2006. There was that Elimination chamber match at new years revolution in early 2006 where He eliminated Kane, Chris Masters and HBK to be one of the last 2 guys left with cena, only to cena to pin him. 5 minutes later, Edge used his money in the bank to beat cena and lost the belt back to cena 3 weeks later at the royal rumble.

then tag teamed with masters at WM 22 in vs the Big show and Kane. Spent the next 12 months in mid card feuds. Before WM 23 in 2007 he expressed not being happy at the company. By December of that year, he wanted to leave WWE but Vince Told him to stay.

Then spent 2008-10 tagging with his brother, feuding with his brother then tag with him again. He left in may of 2010 due to violating the WWE wellness rules and refused to go to rehab after being addicted to pain killers.

Its a shame though. He wasn't too bad. As I said, he did get a good push in his 1st 18-24 months in the WWE as a upper carder and main eventer from 2004-6.

Had they booked Carlito well in 2006 and 2007, He probably would of got a world title or WWE belt reign as a heel. Similar to Edges title run from December 2007-April 2008.

Realistically how much more talent will AEW be looking to sign? Especially if the tv deal is only 60-90 minutes a week. The roster already has some depth, I assume Omega will be added, and they’ll need to add to the women’s and tag numbers. I can’t see them targeting WWE talent in any great numbers.

I mean I’m hoping it’s a much tighter product than WWE, and they’ve stated it will be delivered as a legitimate sporting event, but even 90 minutes a week doesn’t leave a lot of room for a product that needs to virtually develop its characters from scratch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why I need to "realise" anything--- I am well aware of TNA's early history. I would read the results online for years before it was available on Foxtel in Australia.

But I don't understand why you are suggesting that Jeff Jarrett needed to hold the belt during the early days of TNA Wrestling?

I understand that there wasn't a "depth" of Main Event talent at the time, but during Jarrett's first reign alone the following talent was on the roster who was already established enough to be legitimate (for this argument I'm choosing not to include Styles, Daniels, Low-Ki, etc because they are still being established)
  • Curt Henning (prior to his untimely death)
  • Jerry Lynn
  • Raven
  • Mike Awesome
  • Road Dogg
That could've been named champion without users the Creative bookers son as the champion who was defending his title in 3-on-1 Handicap matches.

But the Jeff Jarrett 'hate' in regards to the early TNA was beyond his first title reign and in the first few years of the organisation. In the first 1,000 days of TNA History Jeff Jarrett was NWA Heavyweight Champion for 671 days of those. It doesn't take 3 years to establish someone else to be the champion other than Jarrett.
As Much as I love Curt Henning, He was talented but was injury prone. He would of been a WWF champion in 1992-5 if he didn't have a hurt back.

Jerry Lynn was ECW champion. Not the best ECW world champion but not the worst either.

Raven got the TNA world title in 2005. Glad he got it, but this wasn't the raven in that 1996-8 period when he was very good at both ECE and WCW.

Mike Awesome looked good in ECW. Paul Heyman was smart to book him as a monster heel. Went to WCW on 1 million a year and WCW creative/Vince Russo booked him horribly. Im not creative genius. But I know it doesn't take a lot of thought to make him a world champ. Would of worked well as a heel with a 4-6 month reign smashing baby faces until he lost to AJ styles.

Road Dogg as world champion? Seriously? WWF gave Billy gunn a push n 1999. If any of the member of the New Age outlaws was going to have a good singles run, it would be Billy gunn.

Yeah never seen him as a main event person. Didn't fit in wcw. One of the reasons I wouldn't watch early tna. I got into after angle joined still wasn't a huge follower though. One thing that is not said that turned me off at least is the commentary. Imo never had a good commentary team. Tenay is alright as a color with his knowledge but as a lead commentator. Drove me mad.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
He was a mid carder in the WWE. WCW was in a total mess in 2000. Only reason JJ got the blt is because he was mates with vince russo. This was the year where the WCW world title had 20 changes. Jarrett is a 4 time WCW champion and I cant find one reign which was memorable.
They could live to regret this if khan runs it like Fulham
Depends. I wish I had enough money to run and EPL team and a wrestling fed.

Tony khan head of creative with bucks overseeing tag wrestling/Cody male singles wrestling and Brandi womens wrestling and chief brand officer aka Stephanie McMahon

Sounds like a disaster
Who booked All In? Cody and the Bucks?

Who booked All In? Cody and the Bucks?
I’m talking about khan and Brandi

Cody is meant to be very good. They really should of hired someone to run the book a money mark running things is a worry

Cody saying big chance aew show wins and losses plus title rankings basically like the ufc

Tna tried this s**t it just doesn’t work

Dosen't NJPW do that and the are Succesful

If AEW avoids the mistakes of WCW and TNA. Ie, no hogan, Russo, cornette and Nash, then they should become competitive in getting numbers, especially if they get omega.

They should stay away from the wwe top stars, in the shield, Brock, ect. And look at the fringe level of talent from the company, like cesaro, the revival, Anderson and gallows, Almas, while looking at establishing the next lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back